College Kids Not Smart Enough for Free Speech

Right, because all 50 year olds are definitely intelligent enough to voice their opinions.

If we are going to limit free speech to only the people intelligent enough, then I would be the only person posting on the politics forum. :)

Jk

Reactions: 2 people
Well of course, what Dem believes in free speech unless it's agreeing with them?

Reactions: 4 people
Those same naive 18-22 year old are part of your voter base. Be careful what you wish for Dem party.

Reactions: 2 people
Right, because all 50 year olds are definitely intelligent enough to voice their opinions.

If we are going to limit free speech to only the people intelligent enough, then I would be the only person posting on the politics forum. :)

Jk

Well I'll be dammed maybe I've just missed your Posts but I haven't seen you around lately

When are people going to understand the concept of "Freedom of Speech?"

When are people going to understand the concept of "Freedom of Speech?"

They understand it. It's all about control and you already know that. Confuse and conquer is the name of the game.

They understand it. It's all about control and you already know that. Confuse and conquer is the name of the game.

I disagree that most people understand it. Most people I talk to or read about believe freedom of speech is also freedom from the consequences of what you said. Nothing could be further from the truth.

While I disagree with this person's view, it is certainly not as radical as it appears. The government, through many different agencies, tempers both what the youth can say, as well as what they can hear, see, read, do, etc. The logic behind the restriction of free speech for those under 18, is that they are not developed enough to fully understand that to which they are being exposed. What is the difference between a 17-year old kid in high school and an 18-year old kid in college?

That said, I do not think this guy is being consistent in his thoughts, insofar as he neglects the issue of voting. If you are going to argue that free speech ought not apply to certain individuals due to their lack of mental development, then you must also argue that they should not be given a vote due to their lack of mental development.

I think the best solution is to empower parents to choose how to raise their children and replace this non-sensical 'no-duty-citizenship' idea with a system of earned citizenship (ensuring that the system provides opportunities to all regardless of income, intellect, physical ability, etc.)

What a goofball. College kids traditionally have parties pegged to stupid concepts, boorish behavior, and "look at me!" themes. That some others might be offended and protest is, itself, part of the process. The outrage over a themed party lasts usually until the following weekend, when another one comes along.

Lighten up, Frances.

While I disagree with this person's view, it is certainly not as radical as it appears. The government, through many different agencies, tempers both what the youth can say, as well as what they can hear, see, read, do, etc. The logic behind the restriction of free speech for those under 18, is that they are not developed enough to fully understand that to which they are being exposed. What is the difference between a 17-year old kid in high school and an 18-year old kid in college?

That said, I do not think this guy is being consistent in his thoughts, insofar as he neglects the issue of voting. If you are going to argue that free speech ought not apply to certain individuals due to their lack of mental development, then you must also argue that they should not be given a vote due to their lack of mental development.

I agree with all of this. My main criticism (in addition to yours) is that he is seeking a pseudo-scientific rationale to justify the types of speech restriction he favors.

VN Store

Back