Does America Need a New Enemy?

volprof

Destroyer of Nihilists
I don't know where this thread will go, nor do I claim to defend unabashed nationalism (although I am an unabashed patriot).

It seems to me that the US as the world's sole superpower is on its way out. I don't need to tell you the whole story; you know it already. But, in brief, we're sky high in debt, the economy is a hollow shell at the moment, and the world around us is changing, perhaps even beyond our control. Not to mention that our children - the very children you raise - are apparently getting dumber.

I've spent considerable time thinking about this, and it has led me to this very uninformed conclusion: the greatest strides in this nation's history have occurred when under pressure from a real threat. The British galled us into a nation of free men (and later women). The Civil War not only accelerated a world's democracy into living up to its democratic potential but also pushed forward this nation's industrialization, a step that probably played a role in our nation becoming the world's largest economy by end of century. The Japanese and the Germans turned us into a superpower. And the Russians made us into a technological and engineering giant, the likes of which has never been seen before. And perhaps never will be seen again.

But what happened after the fall of the Soviets? We had a good run, but we got all decadent. Between foreign adventurism and hapless congresses, we've managed to find ourselves in a fine hole.

I'm convinced this is the result of our unrestricted supremacy. With no real enemy, we have just farted around, so to speak. It seems to me that we're just in some sort of drift.

So, my questions to you are these:

1) Is the US "better" when it has a "real" enemy? And I'm not talking about Islamic terrorism. You don't compete against "Johnny Jihad," his explosives belt, and his tenth-century mentality. I'm talking about an honest-to-god enemy that you have to compete against economically, technologically, etc.

2) Does the US need a new enemy? And, like with question 1, I mean a real enemy.

Reactions: 1 person
We don't need a new enemy we need a new government. We could start by wiping out Congress.

Reactions: 4 people
I was afraid this was going to be about LG taking the national stage. :)

Reactions: 2 people
I think it could serve as a unifier but isn't necessary or sufficient.

Honestly, we need true leadership. Leadership that inspires and is frank. We've had really poor leadership for 12+ years and it shows. Cynicism is rampant and no one has any faith in government yet people fight like cats/dogs to promote their political side.

We've grown fat and lazy (figuratively and literally) and expect magic solutions and no hardship.

Perhaps a protracted downturn is needed to slap the populace out of it's sense of entitlement and narcism.

If we're going to get I to another long and drawn out war I just assume it be Indonesia. Our deployment locations would be awesome.

WWII is often cited, but what large country wouldn't do well if it was left virtually intact while all its major competitors were destroyed by war?

Exactly. What we really need is for the rest of the world to engage in WWIII so that we can increase trade to the countries that are at war.

America has an enemy, it is the current federal system and it's ever increasing liberal ideologies.

Reactions: 5 people
We don't need a new enemy we need a new government. We could start by wiping out Congress.

I don't disagree with you, but one wonders if the actions of Congress may be partially attributed to the lack of a coherent national project, mission, and/or destiny, things that tend to come together when under a common threat.

I don't disagree with you, but one wonders if the actions of Congress may be partially attributed to the lack of a coherent national project, mission, and/or destiny, things that tend to come together when under a common threat.

True, we do not have a common goal or threat. I'm convinced nations need one of the two.

No.

Next question?

I knew the risk in drafting this post might be that it comes across as me rationalizing or even defending warfare and the threat of mass deaths.

I'm not claiming you're suggesting this, but I won't to clarify nonetheless that my point is not to defend these things, rather to point to factors (whether good or not) that may affect the overall "health" of this country.

If you watch that video I linked from CNN concerning the Space Race, there's a recent American astronaut talking about how cool all the Apollo guys were as a video of a huge "V-Day" style parade in New York City for the Apollo 11 crew streams. I'm certainly not a revisionist, but there was a time in our nation's history when such figures were revered as larger than life. Many kids may have even been inspired by them.

Who are our children inspired by today? Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and LeBron James? LeBron seems like a nice-enough guy, but he's not going to inspire kids to learn math and science to contribute to our tech. and engineering. Nor is he going to inspire kids to learn to read and write and be creative in order to contribute to the cultural life of the country.

Last edited:
True, we do not have a common goal or threat. I'm convinced nations need one of the two.

And to the point of some other posters, I'm not sure that we need a common "enemy" per se to have this common goal, but I do know that the threat of terrorism certainly isn't going to motivate us long-term. As bad as Sept. 11 was, would anyone claim that it stirred us into common action long-term like the Cold War, for instance? That's because "terrorism" isn't a threat you compete against or that really threatens national sovereignty.

VN Store

Back