Old white man shoots pregnant black woman intruder (he's going to jail)

I think once you leave the house to shoot down people who are trying to flee, I wouldn't consider it self defense at that point in time. He seemed oddly proud of it.

Reactions: 4 people
Agree. But I have a strange feeling they will charge him with something.

Yes, for shooting someone who was fleeing the scene. There's home defense, and then there's taking the law into your own hands.

I have been robbed before, and my life was threatened. Once they left the house, I wasn't about to be an idiot and pursue them. Sure, I would have gunned them down if I had the drop on them, but that was not the case. Anyone who chases someone down just to exact revenge and shoot them doesn't deserve to own or operate a firearm. Simple as that. I'm all about self defense and the 2nd Amendment, but that's pure common sense.

This goes regardless of the geriatric fool's comments postmortem... which, without any reasonable doubt, were asinine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Old man needs to be charged. He could have kept her under gun point until the cops got there. Shooting her when she fell fleeing was wrong.

Reactions: 2 people
Old man needs to be charged. He could have kept her under gun point until the cops got there. Shooting her when she fell fleeing was wrong.

Agreed, inside the house Ok, her running away is murder.

He should've shot her in the leg - gone to jail- had her baby at tax payers expense- be out in 6 months- only to do it to someone else.

Reactions: 2 people
I came in to say this. He just wanted revenge to execute her in an alley outside his home. His life was not in danger at that point.

Agreed, inside the house Ok, her running away is murder.

I agree with what most are saying... some bad decisions on the old man's part. However, just for the sake of additional discussion...

would you also consider it murder for LEO's when shooting someone fleeing a crime? Plus, you don't have to go back very far when horse and cattle thieves were often shot by property owners while fleeing... and that would have been expected.

This is a bit of a grey area for me. IMO criminals are criminals... and if you're going to commit a crime then you need to realize that there are associated risks.

Edit: not necessarily directing this at you hog, but just used your post as a point of reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I agree with what most are saying... some bad decisions on the old man's part. However, just for the sake of additional discussion...

would you also consider it murder for LEO's when shooting someone fleeing a crime? Plus, you don't have to go back very far when horse and cattle thieves were often shot by property owners while fleeing... and that would have been expected.

This is a bit of a grey area for mean. IMO criminals are criminals... and if you're going to commit a crime then you need to realize that there are associated risks.

Edit: not necessarily directing this at you hog, but just used your post as a point of reference.

1. In most cases yes.
2. This is a very gray area for me. Heart says it's ok to shoot them, head say's no.

This is a bit of a grey area for mean. IMO criminals are criminals... and if you're going to commit a crime then you need to realize that there are associated risks.

LEO's generally can't shoot fleeing people, either. The circumstances when they can are pretty narrow. This wouldn't qualify.

Reactions: 1 person

:machgun: :machgun: :gun: :boxing2: :spank: :bash: :machgun:

Generally speaking if you can't articulate a genuine threat then use of deadly force is not going to be deemed as warranted.

This article offers a little more detail than the one in the OP; and appears a little less damning of the homeowner.

LOL, I don't know about that.

"The lady didn't run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice," Greer told the TV station. "She's dead ... but he got away."

That's pretty cold blooded right there.

And they were unarmed and running away, outside the house. I don't see how the man could claim he was in any way threatened at the point he shot her. Just looks like he was mad.

1. In most cases yes.
2. This is a very gray area for me. Heart says it's ok to shoot them, head say's no.

Interesting. I would be opposite... head would say okay, but heart would say no.

LEO's generally can't shoot fleeing people, either. The circumstances when they can are pretty narrow. This wouldn't qualify.

I guess if criminals know this that might explain the increase in the crime rate. No worries... if they catch you in the act just start running.

:machgun: :machgun: :gun: :boxing2: :spank: :bash: :machgun:

Perfect! :)

LOL, I don't know about that.

"The lady didn't run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice," Greer told the TV station. "She's dead ... but he got away."

That's pretty cold blooded right there.

And they were unarmed and running away, outside the house. I don't see how the man could claim he was in any way threatened at the point he shot her. Just looks like he was mad.

It's a little deeper than him being mad.

He was initially in significant danger:
burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home
Tom Greer, whose collarbone was broken in the assault

These were not first-time offenders
Both Miller and Adams, who had histories of similar crimes

He had been previously burgled three times - possibly by the same couple
Greer had been burglarized three times before and believed the same suspects were responsible

The more detailed description/timeline
He returned home shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday to find the pair in his home. Both suspects attacked him, hitting him with their fists and ultimately "body slamming" him to the floor, breaking his collar bone, McDonnell said.

Miller continued to hit him, McDonnell said, while Adams moved to a safe and began trying to pry it open.

The homeowner was able to get to another room where he grabbed a gun and returned to open fire on the suspects. They fled through the garage and into an alley, and Greer gave chase, firing at them again outside, McDonnell said.

Miller was hit, collapsed in the alley and died at the scene

It appears as though he was still in imminent danger when he began opening fire. He continued firing as they fled his house, through the garage and into the alley. The woman was hit, but it is unclear WHEN she was hit (could have been prior to exiting the house), but that she collapsed and died in the alley.

Definitely more to it than "him being mad".

Reactions: 3 people
It's a little deeper than him being mad.

He was initially in significant danger:

These were not first-time offenders

He had been previously burgled three times - possibly by the same couple

The more detailed description/timeline

It appears as though he was still in imminent danger when he began opening fire. He continued firing as they fled his house, through the garage and into the alley. The woman was hit, but it is unclear WHEN she was hit (could have been prior to exiting the house), but that she collapsed and died in the alley.

Definitely more to it than "him being mad".

I got the impression she was fatally shot outside the house. Twice. In the back.

How is he still threatened if they are running away from him and are outside the house and he's chasing after them firing?

oh-he-mad.jpg

VN Store

Back