Two hour execution

I don't trust the government with anything. The state should not have power over life and death.

Many people deserve death, but that doesn't make it a good outcome. On the whole, I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.

With that being said, my favorite Jesse Jackson quote: “Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer. But imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon-master.”

Reactions: 7 people
I don't trust the government with anything. The state should not have power over life and death.

Many people deserve death, but that doesn't make it a good outcome. On the whole, I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.

With that being said, my favorite Jesse Jackson quote: “Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer. But imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon-master.”

I never saw that quote before, but it's ****ing hilarious.

Let the victims families decide. We know why Rev Jesse gives his .02 on the matter.

Reactions: 1 person
Getting a little bit tired of the old humane way to die bit. So he took that long to die? Whats the big deal?

Although I do concede that there are better drugs that could be used for lethal injection. Also as another poster said, bring back the guillotine. Simple, quick and 100% effective.

Let the victims families decide. We know why Rev Jesse gives his .02 on the matter.

They aren't likely to choose rationally. Did you read the article? The lady won't even admit that the guy was suffering:

"I don't believe he was gasping for air; I don't believe he was suffering. It sounded to me like was snoring,"

Meanwhile, another witness:

Troy Hayden, a media witness from KSAZ, told reporters the execution was difficult to watch. He likened Wood's breathing to a "fish gulping for air."

and:

"Usually it takes about 10 minutes, the person goes to sleep. This was not that," he told reporters afterward. "It started off looking as if it was going alright but then obviously something didn't go right. It took two hours." Kiefer described the sound Wood made as a "deep, snoring, sucking air sound."

Joseph Wood
classification: Murderer
Characteristics: Revenge - Domestic violence
Number of victims: 2
Date of murders: August 7, 1989
Date of arrest: Same day (wounded by police)
Date of birth: December 6, 1958
Victims profile: His ex-girlfriend, Debbie Dietz, 29, and her father, Gene Dietz, 55
Method of murder: Shooting (.38 caliber revolver)

Date of Birth: December 6, 1958
Defendant: Caucasian
Victim: Caucasian

Wood and his 29-year-old ex-girlfriend, Debbie Dietz, had been involved in a turbulent relationship for 5 years, which had been marred by numerous breakups and several domestic violent incidents. Debbie was working at a local body shop owned by her family.

On August 7, 1989, Wood walked into the shop and shot Gene Dietz, age 55, in the chest with a .38 caliber revolver, killing him. Gene Dietz's 70-year-old brother was present and tried to stop Wood, but Wood pushed him away and proceeded into another section of the body shop.

Wood went up to Debbie, placed her in some type of hold, and shot her once in the abdomen and once in the chest, killing her.

Wood then fled the building. Two police officers approached Wood and ordered him to drop his weapon. After Wood placed the weapon on the ground, he reached down and picked it up, and pointed it at the officers. The officers fired, striking Wood several times. Wood was transported to a local hospital where he underwent extensive surgery.

PROCEEDINGS

Presiding Judge: G. Thomas Meehan
Prosecutor: Thomas Zawada
Start of Trial: February 19, 1991
Verdict: February 25, 1991
Sentencing: July 2, 1991

Aggravating Circumstances:

Grave risk of death to others
Multiple homicides

Mitigating Circumstances:

None sufficient to call for leniency

PUBLISHED OPINIONS

State v. Wood, 180 Ariz. 53, 881 P.2d 1158 (1994).

State v. Wood, 180 Ariz. 53, 881 P.2d 1158 (1994)

PROCEDURAL POSTURE: The defendant was convicted in Superior Court (Pima) of two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated assault. He was sentenced to death on each murder conviction. This is his automatic, direct appeal to the Arizona Supreme Court.

AGGRAVATING CIRCUMSTANCES:

(F)(3) (Grave Risk of Death to Others) - UPHELD
This aggravating circumstance exists only if the defendant's murderous act itself puts other people in the "zone of danger." The inquiry is whether, during the course of the murder, the defendant knowingly engaged in conduct that created a real and substantial likelihood that a specific third person might suffer a fatal injury. No single factor is dispositive of this aggravating circumstance. Here, three employees were present in the confined garage space where the defendant shot one of them. One of the employees was only six to eight feet away from the victim when he was shot. The defendant then turned toward another employee, as if to shoot him, but the employee fled. There was evidence that the defendant cocked and uncocked the gun twice between shooting the first victim and shooting the second. The other employees were found to be in the zone of danger based on the defendant's actions.

(F)(8) (Multiple Homicides) - UPHELD
The (F)(8) finding was upheld without extensive discussion. Wood did not challenge the finding on appeal. Wood shot and killed his estranged girlfriend and her father at a Tucson body shop. The Court noted that this was a double murder and the trial court properly found the existence of the (F)(8) aggravating circumstance.

MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES:

The Court found that the following mitigating circumstances existed, but were insufficiently substantial to call for leniency:

Impulsive personality exacerbated by drug and alcohol abuse ["little, if any" weight]
History of substance abuse ["little, if any" weight]
Lack of Criminal History

The Court found the defendant failed to prove by a preponderance of the evidence the existence of the following as mitigating circumstances:

(G)(1) Significant Impairment [mental or alcohol/drugs]
(G)(2) Duress
(G)(4) Death not Reasonably Foreseeable
Difficult Childhood/Family History

JUDGMENT: Convictions and sentences affirmed.

I don't think we use it enough. It doesn't have to be just for murder IMO.

Some of those on death row live 25-30 years so they've had plenty of time to sh!t in their pants while waiting for the real thing to come to pass. We have to be real nice to these killers & not hurt their rights to life regardless for how they treated their victims.

Last edited:
A murderer was executed. I had chicken for supper. And the world spins on.

VN Store

Back