This is the level of ignorance that is driving this country down the toilet

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
South Carolina mom goes to jail, loses job, for taking daughter to park while at work - The Washington Post

It takes a village to raise a child – unless that village is full of vigilantes.

I’m outraged at this story. I’m disappointed that the “do-gooding” concerned stranger, worried about a child who didn’t have an attentive adult hovering over her, overlooked making some attempt to help, like offering to watch the child until her mother got off work.

And I can’t help but wonder whether Harrell was treated the way she was because she’s an African-American single mother.

This “village” of concerned bystanders seems to be gaining strength. Yes, it’s a tragedy when a child is being neglected, abused or molested, and no one bothers to report suspicious behavior. But we’ve gone overboard in our zeal to ferret out the “bad” parents.

One woman interviewed expressed concern that the young girl could be kidnapped.

Yes, children do get snatched by strangers, but it’s rare — and it’s more common among teenagers.

I was lucky when my kids were young that my husband’s salary supported us, because one of the reasons I abandoned my career as a freelance writer was the issue of childcare.

I don't understand this at all... she was a "freelance writer" and had to give up her career??? Seems like the perfect career to have if you want to save money on child care.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
The pay off...

Instead of reporting Harrell for abandonment, let’s praise her work ethic and determination to support her family. Let’s support a living wage that would enable Harrell to pay for childcare. We could demand that on-site childcare be required or that the government pay for childcare for workers on the low end of the pay scale. Here’s an even more radical idea: Pay moms to stay home and raise their children. (I think President Reagan considered that being a welfare queen.)

My parents would have been in so much trouble...they used to leave me in charge of younger siblings at age 8. At age 5 I could ride a bike, and I went whereever the hell I wanted, usually without telling anyone.

I'm really grateful for the freedom I enjoyed. You hear about millenials that live in parent's basement and take their parents to job interviews, and you don't really have to wonder why.

My parents would have been in so much trouble...they used to leave me in charge of younger siblings at age 8. At age 5 I could ride a bike, and I went whereever the hell I wanted, usually without telling anyone.

I'm really grateful for the freedom I enjoyed. You hear about millenials that live in parent's basement and take their parents to job interviews, and you don't really have to wonder why.

I'm a millenial and I enjoyed relative freedom growing up.... Maybe family dependence has something to do with govt dependence....

I'm a millenial and I enjoyed relative freedom growing up.... Maybe family dependence has something to do with govt dependence....

Yeah, I'm not saying all millenials. I'm 32, so I'm not that much older than millenials. My wife is 28 and her parents were so protective. They tried to forbid her from going to rock concerts when she was 19 and home for the summer from college....

I grew up in the 50s & 60s. That was one of the best times ever to be a kid. You could walk anywhere as a kid & never feel like being snatched up by strangers or shot at by hoods.

Last edited:
There are way too many "helicopter" parents these days, most raised by the "bicycle helmet" generation.

I'm just thankful I grew up when I did, my parents would have been thrown under the jail.

Yeah, I'm not saying all millenials. I'm 32, so I'm not that much older than millenials. My wife is 28 and her parents were so protective. They tried to forbid her from going to rock concerts when she was 19 and home for the summer from college....

Most experts would consider you a millennial. They say that our generation starts around 1980. At best you're very very late generation X.
I know people who are in their 20s and have curfews... I just don't get it.

I grew up in the 50s & 60s. That was one of the best times ever to be a kid. You could walk anywhere as a kid & never feel like being snatched up by strangers or shot at by hoods.

Dave Barry wrote a column one time about how when he was 15 he and his friends took the train from Connecticut to Miami for spring break, no parents.

Wally and Beaver say hello ..

Never did watch that crap. I leaned more to other family shows like Andy Griffin & Father knows Best & My Three Sons. I was more into the Roy Rogers black & white shows along w/the Lone Ranger & Tonto & moving along with Gunsmoke & Bonanza. I loved Tarzan with Johnny Wiesmuller (sp).

Never did watch that crap. I leaned more to other family shows like Andy Griffin & Father knows Best & My Three Sons. I was more into the Roy Rogers black & white shows along w/the Lone Ranger & Tonto & moving along with Gunsmoke & Bonanza. I loved Tarzan with Johnny Wiesmuller (sp).

My three bums was a classic, Uncle Charlie was a riot..

I still remember one great line from that column, too. He said something like: "Those were simpler times. My parents slept in separate twin beds and procreated through mitosis."

I enjoyed relative freedom until I started getting into trouble on the frequent when I began high school. Looking back, I think my mom and stepdad were right on the money. It taught me about privilege, and how easily it could be taken away.

Oh, the foreshadowing that provided for the future of my country...

I enjoyed relative freedom until I started getting into trouble on the frequent when I began high school. Looking back, I think my mom and stepdad were right on the money. It taught me about privilege, and how easily it could be taken away.

Oh, the foreshadowing that provided for the future of my country...

I was a relative good kid.

VN Store

Back