Politics a Product of Personality, Psychology, and Physiology?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Pretty fascinating

A large body of political scientists and political psychologists now concur that liberals and conservatives disagree about politics in part because they are different people at the level of personality, psychology, and even traits like physiology and genetics.

That's a big deal. It challenges everything that we thought we knew about politics—upending the idea that we get our beliefs solely from our upbringing, from our friends and families, from our personal economic interests, and calling into question the notion that in politics, we can really change (most of us, anyway).

Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are

^^Haven't read it yet but let me guess, conservatives are not as evolved as liberals?

Reactions: 1 person
^^Haven't read it yet but let me guess, conservatives are not as evolved as liberals?

Here:

In other words, the conservative ideology, and especially one of its major facets—centered on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availability of guns—would seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology.

The authors go on to speculate that this ultimately reflects an evolutionary imperative. "One possibility," they write, "is that a strong negativity bias was extremely useful in the Pleistocene," when it would have been super-helpful in preventing you from getting killed.

Without reading the article, that quote would lead me to believe that conservatives are more advanced, evolutionary-speaking, because they understand the nature of the human animal.

Ever notice how libs are the lovie-dovie, kumbaya, candle light vigil crowd. That's just not reality.

Reactions: 4 people
Without reading the article, that quote would lead me to believe that conservatives are more advanced, evolutionary-speaking, because they understand the nature of the human animal.

Ever notice how libs are the lovie-dovie, kumbaya, candle light vigil crowd. That's just not reality.

Later in the article it stated that liberals seem to be more neurotic as well.

Granted, there are still many issues yet to be worked out in the science of ideology. Most of the commentaries on the new Hibbing paper are focused on important but not-paradigm-shifting side issues, such as the question of how conservatives can have a higher negativity bias, and yet not have neurotic personalities. (Actually, if anything, the research suggests that liberals may be the more neurotic bunch.) Indeed, conservatives tend to have a high degree of happiness and life satisfaction. But Hibbing and colleagues find no contradiction here. Instead, they paraphrase two other scholarly commentators (Matt Motyl of the University of Virginia and Ravi Iyer of the University of Southern California), who note that "successfully monitoring and attending negative features of the environment, as conservatives tend to do, may be just the sort of tractable task…that is more likely to lead to a fulfilling and happy life than is a constant search for new experience after new experience."

I pretty much agree. I think too many people think we are close to, or can somehow force a utopian society with everyone getting along and working toward bettering themselves and society (see Star Trek).

In reality the human animal referenced is nowhere close to achieving that type of coexistence. Will we survive/evolve to that point in the future? Possibly, but we have a long, long way to go.

Later in the article it stated that liberals seem to be more neurotic as well.

Of course liberals are neurotic. They're mentally disordered.

Liberals tend to be mentally weaker, that's why they support big government (the need to be cared for, lack of responsibility). I think human evolutionary biology goes a long way in explaining political allegiances.

I pretty much agree. I think too many people think we are close to, or can somehow force a utopian society with everyone getting along and working toward bettering themselves and society (see Star Trek).

In reality the human animal referenced is nowhere close to achieving that type of coexistence. Will we survive/evolve to that point in the future? Possibly, but we have a long, long way to go.

Good point gc. Look no further than our closest ancestors. They hunt, go on organized raiding parties, maim and kill each other. We're no different, and I think conservatives understand this. We've been killing each other since the dawn of man. The utopia liberals have been trying to create through the heavy hand of government is destined to fail. I know this.

Reminds me of the thinking that says we should overcome our natural instincts (assuming such things exist) - that we should rise above and to fail to do so makes us savages or something like that. People who are really bothered by gender roles come to mind. Of course any individual should live they way they choose but some want us to fight girls liking certain things and boys liking others.

Obviously we must be civilized in some ways but nature cannot be ignored.

Reactions: 3 people

If people just worried about themselves instead of what others did/do things would be better. We will always have differences that some folks are ok with and some that others dont like.

My issue with modern liberals is that they preach equality for all but more often than not want MORE equality than others. Or god forbid you treat a woman the same way you treat a guy..equality goes out the window.

Then of course there is the whole "we can't be responsible for our actions" mentality that drives me up the wall.

Reminds me of the thinking that says we should overcome our natural instincts (assuming such things exist) - that we should rise above and to fail to do so makes us savages or something like that. People who are really bothered by gender roles come to mind. Of course any individual should live they way they choose but some want us to fight girls liking certain things and boys liking others.

Obviously we must be civilized in some ways but nature cannot be ignored.

Say everyone was able to transcend stereotypes and prejudices and we had a utopian society. That leaves a power vacuum that someone most definitely will exploit. I think its human nature to want to have power and no matter what we do in "goody goody two shoes land".

I believe the bible says the "meek shall inherit the earth" but the reality of human nature, just like nature everywhere, is the strong survive and the weak perish.

In my experience, I would agree that conservatives are negative and liberals neurotic. I was a negative conservative once. My negativity carried over for a while, but I do a lot better than I used to.

In my experience, I would agree that conservatives are negative and liberals neurotic. I was a negative conservative once. My negativity carried over for a while, but I do a lot better than I used to.

Negative as in pessimistic?

I am extremely pessimistic. But in being so when humanity doesn't prove me right it's a nice lil' surprise. :rock:

Say everyone was able to transcend stereotypes and prejudices and we had a utopian society. That leaves a power vacuum that someone most definitely will exploit. I think its human nature to want to have power and no matter what we do in "goody goody two shoes land".

I believe the bible says the "meek shall inherit the earth" but the reality of human nature, just like nature everywhere, is the strong survive and the weak perish.

Ding, ding, ding. I know it's not politically correct to believe in Social Darwinism, but let's stop kidding ourselves. Millions upon millions of people just don't have what it takes to make it in the real world.

Reactions: 2 people
Ding, ding, ding. I know it's not politically correct to believe in Social Darwinism, but let's stop kidding ourselves. Millions upon millions of people just don't have what it takes to make it in the real world.

What's the dividing line and how do you tell? When do you tell ? Birth ? 5th grade?

That's a good point about the power vacuum and human nature, and is another reason utopia is so far removed from reality. In order to work pretty much everyone must be on the same page in terms of species/societal goals. That's a lot to ask when considering what and where we are today.

A different conversation, but I believe humans must evolve past the more aggressive and violent parts of our nature and increase our capacity and application of empathy. That is a necessary initial step, imo. I'm just not sure if that's possible.

Last edited:
That's a good point about the power vacuum and human nature, and is another reason utopia is so far removed from reality. In order to work pretty much everyone must be on the same page in terms of species/societal goals. That's a lot to ask when considering what and where we are today.

A different conversation, but I believe humans must evolve past the more aggressive and violent parts of our nature and increase our capacity and application of empathy. That is a necessary initial step, imo.

Empathy?

Do you not read this board ? Do you not see the protesters screaming at the kids from c America?

Utopia is closer at hand than empathy.

Empathy?

Do you not read this board ? Do you not see the protesters screaming at the kids from c America?

The thing about empathy is that it transcends the physical condition, and extends to all sides of a particular issue. I think that gets lost way too often. We also use empathy to understand why people think and believe the way they do. It allows us to have strong relationships and close friendships with people who have radically different views on certain issues than ourselves. It's powerful.

Reactions: 3 people
Empathy?

Empathy and wishing our borders to be secure and our neighbors respect said borders are not mutually exclusive.
The thing about empathy is that it transcends the physical condition, and extends to all sides of a particular issue. I think that gets lost way too often. We also use empathy to understand why people think and believe the way they do. It allows us to have strong relationships and close friendships with people who have radically different views on certain issues than ourselves. It's powerful.

You... I like you.

Reactions: 2 people

Empathy is great if everybody participates. When one side doesn't the empathizers end up getting played for dupes, or worse.

I believe the bible says the "meek shall inherit the dearth" but the reality of human nature, just like nature everywhere, is the strong survive and the weak perish.

Fyp

Empathy is great if everybody participates. When one side doesn't the empathizers end up getting played for dupes, or worse.

Yes, which is why we are likely far away from any type of significant societal advancement.

VN Store

Back