Net Neutrality (Or how Congress and the cable companies want to ruin the internet)

TrueOrange

Opinions on the host (or show) aside, I thought this was a great piece. It's 13 minutes, but worth watching the whole thing:

(Is some language though, so just a warning)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU[/youtube]

I believe the FCC's comment period on the matter ends July 18th at midnight for anyone interested on posting any opinion. (Send Us Your Comments | FCC.gov)

(Yeah, I know I'm a little late to this one.)

(If the FCC comments page crashes again - which it seems oh so apt to do - https://www.dearfcc.org or https://www.battleforthenet.com are links petitions that will also be sent.)

(Edit: The FCC has also tweeted that comments can be sent to " OpenInternet@fcc.gov. All emails will be considered as part of the proceeding."...probably because their comments page crashed again.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
This is one of the key areas that I believe that more government leads to more freedom. Net neutrality is needed.

Reactions: 4 people
Same folks that did the Obamacare website?

In seriousness, I thought this had already been voted down?

One of the telecommunications companies (Verizon) sued the government to open it all back up/ force the rule change currently being discussed. (The video makes mention of it.)

Reactions: 1 person
One of the telecommunications companies (Verizon) sued the government to open it all back up/ force the rule change currently being discussed. (The video makes mention of it.)

Ah, I should have watched it all the way through lol

Caught up in the FF for a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Same folks that did the Obamacare website?

Here's apparently the issue with their comment site:

FCC

Unfortunately, the FCC is using an 18-year-old system to accept comments. "When the ECFS [Electronic Comment Filing System] was created in 1996, the Commission presumably didn’t imagine it would receive more than 100,000 electronic comments on a single telecommunications issue," FCC Chief Information Officer David Bray wrote in a blog post yesterday.

The site previously crashed after comedian and TV show host John Oliver called upon viewers to fight "cable company ****ery." In response, the FCC's IT squad "implemented an additional caching feature on June 3 to support some of the highest concurrent commenting levels that ECFS has seen in its 17-plus year history," Bray wrote.

(Also, as of yesterday, input on the comments page alone had reached over 780,000.)

Last edited:
Here's also a comic regarding the situation that a lot of people seem to be linking:

| Economix Comix

(Not sure what to think of this one honestly, but it might provide an alternative form of explanation that some might prefer over that of the video.)

Or also, a 6 minute video on Hulu from the New York Times on the matter:

Watch The New York Times: A Threat to Internet Freedom Online | Hulu

That comic makes it pretty easy to understand.

Want to know how this will turn out? Follow the money.

That comic makes it pretty easy to understand.

Want to know how this will turn out? Follow the money.

Being a utility makes too much sense though.

My apt complex has a contract with Comcast and uverse doesn't come to my complex..

I'm conviced Verizon is already 'slow laning' Netflix in this market. Performance is markedly degraded from last year.

I'm conviced Verizon is already 'slow laning' Netflix in this market. Performance is markedly degraded from last year.

Found this:

Verizon continues to screw with Netflix customers Blue Nation Review

Remember last month when Netflix and Verizon got into a scuffle over broadband speeds? Netflix started telling customers that the slow download speeds were the result of congestion on Verizon’s network, and Verizon responded by sending a cease and desist letter to Netflix. Netflix then responded by saying, basically, “bite me.”

Well fast-forward to today, and things have only gotten worse. Through the month of June, Netflix download speeds dropped seventeen percent on the Verizon network, according to their latest ISP speed rankings. The drop is despite their having paid a direct connection fee (also known as a bribe or extortion?).

It isn’t just Verizon either. Netflix performance is down on Comcast and AT&T’s networks as well. Comcast, like Verizon, charges a direct connection fee as well, so that drop in performance is similarly perplexing. Netflix hasn’t yet paid AT&T the extra fee, which may explain, at least in part, the troubles on that network.

If all of this doesn’t prove that net neutrality is really dead, though, I don’t know what will. The reality is that these service providers are tacking on fees to give preferential treatment to content providers that have the funds to pay. That devastates the level playing field that the internet was always supposed to be, and the extra cost of these extortionist fees is going to be passed on to consumers, driving up cost and driving down quality for everyone.

Fortunately, there is still hope for net neutrality. Netflix joined other content providers, including Facebook, Google and Twitter in filing a comment on the FCC’s proposed new internet regulations. The web giants called for a level playing field, free of artificial slow lanes. Lets hope the FCC listens to reason, and adjusts their proposal accordingly.

Reactions: 1 person
"If we let cable companies offer two speeds of service, they won't be Usain Bolt and Usain Bolt on a motorbike. They'll be Usain Bolt and Usain Bolt-ed-to-an-anchor."

Reactions: 3 people
This is one of the key areas that I believe that more government leads to more freedom. Net neutrality is needed.

You gotta be f-ing kidding me.

The arguments for government involvement mostly use hypotheticals to make their points because there isn't much of an issue (yet). At the very least, can we wait til there is a bona fide problem the market can't solve?

The internet is great because the government has so little involvement. You want the "SB Nipple Slip" people regulating the internet more? Let's keep cyberspace the last free space on earth.

The arguments for government involvement mostly use hypotheticals to make their points because there isn't much of an issue (yet). At the very least, can we wait til there is a bona fide problem the market can't solve?

The internet is great because the government has so little involvement. You want the "SB Nipple Slip" people regulating the internet more? Let's keep cyberspace the last free space on earth.

When did it become free? I get charged every month for access.

"If we let cable companies offer two speeds of service, they won't be Usain Bolt and Usain Bolt on a motorbike. They'll be Usain Bolt and Usain Bolt-ed-to-an-anchor."

Until their customers complain....if they're customers don't complain, then who cares?

Provo City made internet a public utility with an iProvo fiber optic project that cost the city a bundle and was a complete and total failure.

This is what some of you are asking for.

And that's why we need net neutrality. To keep the status quo.

And that's why we need net neutrality. To keep the status quo.

How about we allow the status quo to maintain the status quo. Government won't get more involved without making changes.

This is so foolish. Reactionary bull**** that helps explain why we have zillions of laws.

Good job people. FML

Provo City made internet a public utility with an iProvo fiber optic project that cost the city a bundle and was a complete and total failure.

No it's not, not one bit. All anyone is asking for is that ISPs not be allowed to control access.

Reactions: 3 people
Having government step in because customers don't like the way their provider connects them to netflix? What's next? Is the FCC going to force my Cinemark to play certain movies?

That cost a ton because fiber optic costs a ton currently. It's why Verizon has all but given up in fios.

The government has been involved. This is a case of the govt stepping back and it's going to cause trouble for consumers unless Internet is listed as a utility.

VN Store

Back