Vice News: The Interpreters

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAYsUb8du4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K2J5arsVuE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM503qezJ2g[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVdY4TqNHk[/youtube]

Part 5 hasn't been uploaded yet. Opinions on the matter? Doesn't coalition forces have an obligation to get these guys out once 2014 hits?

How were they protected when they were interpreting? Did they live on bases?

What's missing from this series are any interviews with the State Department or the powers that be to get the government side of the story. That may just be spin, but why isn't it included?

How were they protected when they were interpreting? Did they live on bases?

What's missing from this series are any interviews with the State Department or the powers that be to get the government side of the story. That may just be spin, but why isn't it included?

To answer the first question, it depended on where they worked. If they worked with units out in small forward operating bases, then they most likely lived on the compound. If they worked at one of the larger bases, like Kandahar, Bagram or Kabul, then they most likely lived at home. My last job before redeploying, working in the MOD, we had a small group of about 5 interpretors that worked with us. They did a lot of document translating, but also daily interpretation for a lot of high level (cabinet level) meetings.

I had one interpretor that worked directly with me for several months. He was 24, lived at home with his parents and siblings and was earning about $500 US each month, which made him the bread winner for his household. From 2002 until 2004, he had worked for an SF team in Gardez. He was as much a combat veteran as anyone in theater and absolutely should be given a Visa to travel and live in the US.

These guys are a distinct group of allies who proved to be exceptionally loyal to us. We could not have had the success we had (and we had a lot more than is recognized) without them. Not only did they provide interpretation, but they helped leaders and soldiers understand the culture, they helped sort out friend from enemy and they personally put themselves in harms way for us. Sure, they got paid, but their pay is nothing compared to the service they provided. Every one of them should be offered the chance to immigrate to the US along with any family members they might feel are at risk because of their service to us.

Of course, the problem is that if we initiate an immigration program for them, that would be tantamount to admitting defeat. We would be officially saying the Taliban is a significant threat that we couldn't quell. Consequently, I predict there will not be such a program and we will turn out backs on these men who gave a lot for our country. Sad.

Reactions: 1 person
Where do the two sides of our government stand on this? Do we know?

Is one side making an effort to help these people, or is it a unanimous ignoring?

Of course, the problem is that if we initiate an immigration program for them, that would be tantamount to admitting defeat.

I'm guessing at least part of the issue is security. The Vice video makes a claim that none of the interpreters had ever helped the Taliban--a claim I find difficult to believe.

I'm guessing at least part of the issue is security. The Vice video makes a claim that none of the interpreters had ever helped the Taliban--a claim I find difficult to believe.

I believe it. The older guys who would have been around when the Taliban was in power were generally recruited outside of Afghanistan. Most were the losers in the anarchy period after the Soviets left. They escaped to the US or Europe and either returned on their own after the Taliban was ousted or were recruited and brought home.

The younger guys, like my terp, escaped the anarchy by living in refugee camps in the FATA along the Af/Pak border. For whatever reason, their parents had them learn English along with Pashtu and Dari, which made them invaluable to us.

There are opportunists who worked for the King, Soviets, Taliban and then the new Afghan government. We didn't hire them to work directly for us, but we did work with them across the country. We just recognized who they were and didn't trust them fully. For example, when we put on the Presidential Innauguration in 2004, we were having a hard time finding enough chairs to fill the venue. The 2 star Afghan General that was the Army Chief of Logistics was able to make a phone call and within an hour had a couple hundred very nice chairs delivered and set up. That guy had been in his position for 15 years, working for the communists, Taliban and then Karzai's government. He was a good friend to keep a close eye on.

The terps were a different story and were vetted and watched closely.

VN Store

Back