Detroit in the news again

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
I thought news couldn't get that much stranger...

U.N. to intervene in Detroit water shutoffs

WND has learned that after issuing a statement last week condemning Detroit’s decision to send water shut-off notices to tens of thousands of customers behind in their payments, the U.N now plans to conduct confidential policy discussions with the Obama administration to be followed by a formal public report to the U.N. Human Rights Council.

On Monday, the U.N. Human Rights Council’s office in Geneva confirmed to WND that the U.N. plans to intervene directly in the Detroit water crisis, determined to apply international law to judge the U.S. in violation of human rights to safe water.

And the source articles:

DisplayNews

Special Rapporteur on the human right to safe drinking water and sanitation

So, don't pay your bill and get the UN to step in?

Reactions: 3 people
If Obama wants to unite the populace, let the UN step in.

Not so sure the term would be unite. You have the UN demanding free stuff for people so which side of the coin do you think some will be on?

"intervene"

"step in"

Interesting choice of words by the reporter, and by you. Now, you guys wouldn't be trying to overclaim this and to suggest that the UN actually has any power over this or is actually going to do something about it, are you?

9780806534398_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

un-flag-decoded.jpg

I heard this on the radio a couple days ago. The Detroit utilities company is owed roughly 90 million dollars in unpaid utilities bills. They say the only way they can get people to pay is to cut it off.

Sounds like the UN thinks Detroit should create a group that goes house to house to investigate if the unpaid bills are due to legitimate inability to pay or are just not paying because they don't want to. 30,000 houses......that shouldn't take long.

"intervene"

"step in"

Interesting choice of words by the reporter, and by you. Now, you guys wouldn't be trying to overclaim this and to suggest that the UN actually has any power over this or is actually going to do something about it, are you?

And specifically what else would you call the UNHCR going to the Administration to protest? Is this not "stepping in" for people who won't pay their bills?

To the tune of $90 million. I'm sure you pay your water bill LG, and I would think you could see that $90 million in unpaid water bills isn't skipping a month or two.

And specifically what else would you call the UNHCR going to the Administration to protest? Is this not "stepping in" for people who won't pay their bills?

To the tune of $90 million. I'm sure you pay your water bill LG, and I would think you could see that $90 million in unpaid water bills isn't skipping a month or two.

LOL, if every time they have gone to whoever is the administration at the US, you think that constitutes "stepping in," then they've been "stepping in" for 70 years or so.

Water is not just a commodity. It is a service. Someone cleaned that water and delivered it to each house, and they can charge for that service. Don't want to pay for the service? Dig a well. Build a rain catchment system and filter it yourself. Or don't filter it and crap yourself silly in the backyard because your toilet don't run.

And the UN needs to mind their own business.

Reactions: 1 person
LOL, if every time they have gone to whoever is the administration at the US, you think that constitutes "stepping in," then they've been "stepping in" for 70 years or so.

Are you actually trying to argue on people's behalf that fail to pay their bill over the verbiage I used?

Here's the ultimate question. What business is it of the UN's anyway?

LG's solution would be to raise taxes on the few left in Detroit with the ability to pay more. to hell with making people responsible for their own bills, let the "winners of life's lottery" carry the weight.

Reactions: 2 people
Surely the UN could find a more pressing issue somewhere in the world

Probably, but Detroit still has some pretty nice hotels for the UN dignitaries to stay in. The same can't be said for Lagos or Kathmandu.

Not so sure the term would be unite. You have the UN demanding free stuff for people so which side of the coin do you think some will be on?

I know which side the ones that matter will unite on.

Like the flood of Illegals coming from south of the border? Chances are things are much worse off down there...hence why they come up here.

If we're gonna bus illegals anywhere, it should be detroit.

Reactions: 2 people
Are you actually trying to argue on people's behalf that fail to pay their bill over the verbiage I used?

Here's the ultimate question. What business is it of the UN's anyway?

I am not trying to argue that the utilities should or should not be turned off.

I am arguing solely that you are dramatically overstating the facts then you use language like the UN is "stepping in" by contacting the administration to state a position.

I expect such nonsense from the source you posted, as their livelihood depends on freaking out the most gullible of conservatives. I expected a bit more objectivity from you.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back