Supreme court judge sends anti-vaxxers packing

I saw a reference to Amish in the article, but that was in Ohio. And veiled referenced to some form of Judeo-Christian religion at the center of the case, but nothing specific.

What religions are against the vaccination of children?

I saw a reference to Amish in the article, but that was in Ohio. And veiled referenced to some form of Judeo-Christian religion at the center of the case, but nothing specific.

What religions are against the vaccination of children?

Not a religion but Autism myth (triggered by vaccines) hasn't helped any.

I'd guess the religion (name escapes me) that won't go see a doctor would also refuse vaccines.

Parents who refuse to vaccinate their child should be brought up on child endangerment charges.

Don't go overboard or anything. While I may disagree with those who choose not to, I also know many are doing what they feel is best for their children. Your solution to that is to send them to court? Ridiculous

Reactions: 1 person
Yep. Exactly what this country needs, more government telling us how to live our lives.

I'm a strong believer in liberty but the problem with this argument is people who don't get their children vaccinated are infringing on the rights of others. Let's say a high percentage of parents don't get their kids vaccinated and a plague spreads through society. Isn't that a big infringement on society? For instance I do believe the President has the authority in case of national emergency to order everyone to receive a vaccine. (Insure domestic tranquility? Secure the blessing of liberty?, etc.)

I'm a strong believer in liberty but the problem with this argument is people who don't get their children vaccinated are infringing on the rights of others. Let's say a high percentage of parents don't get their kids vaccinated and a plague spreads through society. Isn't that a big infringement on society? For instance I do believe the President has the authority in case of national emergency to order everyone to receive a vaccine. (Insure domestic tranquility? Secure the blessing of liberty?, etc.)
Yep. I'm all for the government getting out of the way in most cases, but child endangerment is not one of them. The consequences of a large scale anti-vaccination movement have already been popping up, and it's not pretty.

How about the financial burden it places on the public when those unvaccinated kids contract the very disease they could have prevented in the first place and wind up in the hospital racking up bills.

And that is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in print.

Wow, this from someone whose screenname is bamawriter....

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the sentiment, but that's quite the lowblow.

Wow, this from someone whose screenname is bamawriter....

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the sentiment, but that's quite the lowblow.

I'm guessing he hasn't published anything yet....

Don't go overboard or anything. While I may disagree with those who choose not to, I also know many are doing what they feel is best for their children. Your solution to that is to send them to court? Ridiculous

If a parent does not vaccinate, then I am not so sure they are capable of knowing what's best for their child.

There is a lot of reactionary "thoughts" posted in this thread. I am a parent of 3 kids. Only 1 of my kids has received any vaccinations. That child did not have all the recommended inoculations.

Am I a bad parent? Of course not. I am happy to answer questions and give my reasons for my choices if anyone desires.

All of you who worry, be at peace. My unvaxed kids pose absolutely no risk whatsoever to other (vaxed or unvaxed) kids. There are 2 types of immunity, innate and adaptive. Once your child is vaxed, they have adaptive immunity. My child with polio/rubella/mumps/etc. will have no effect on any other child kid because that kid is immune. If my child contracted mumps, I would keep them from general population so as not to expose that virus to kids without adaptive immunity.

Innate immunity is something with which we are all familiar. You contract a cold or flu one season and typically do not get the illness again. The viruses are still present on almost all things you touch everyday, but your body recognizes the pathogen and destroys it before an infection sets in. The tricky thing is that cold and flu viruses mutate often and form new strains which aren't recognized by our immune systems.

We have spoken with our pediatrician about our decision. It concerns her in some ways. In others ways, it doesn't. For instance, she is more concerned about rubella than polio in the US. Polio is essentially a zero risk unless we travel outside the US; say, on a mission trip to under developed countries.

If my daughter becomes sexually active, then she will get vaxed against HPV.

I do not have an issue with vaccines. The science is sound and the benefit to humanity are astounding. I take issue with the administration of the vax schedule and the sheer number of inoculations recommended.

There is a lot of reactionary "thoughts" posted in this thread. I am a parent of 3 kids. Only 1 of my kids has received any vaccinations. That child did not have all the recommended inoculations.

Am I a bad parent? Of course not. I am happy to answer questions and give my reasons for my choices if anyone desires.

All of you who worry, be at peace. My unvaxed kids pose absolutely no risk whatsoever to other (vaxed or unvaxed) kids. There are 2 types of immunity, innate and adaptive. Once your child is vaxed, they have adaptive immunity. My child with polio/rubella/mumps/etc. will have no effect on any other child kid because that kid is immune. If my child contracted mumps, I would keep them from general population so as not to expose that virus to kids without adaptive immunity.

Innate immunity is something with which we are all familiar. You contract a cold or flu one season and typically do not get the illness again. The viruses are still present on almost all things you touch everyday, but your body recognizes the pathogen and destroys it before an infection sets in. The tricky thing is that cold and flu viruses mutate often and form new strains which aren't recognized by our immune systems.

We have spoken with our pediatrician about our decision. It concerns her in some ways. In others ways, it doesn't. For instance, she is more concerned about rubella than polio in the US. Polio is essentially a zero risk unless we travel outside the US; say, on a mission trip to under developed countries.

If my daughter becomes sexually active, then she will get vaxed against HPV.

I do not have an issue with vaccines. The science is sound and the benefit to humanity are astounding. I take issue with the administration of the vax schedule and the sheer number of inoculations recommended.

So you're not vaccinating your kids because of the fact that there's too many inoculations recommended?! What a pathetic excuse. And your kids are a danger to the general population, stop kidding yourself.

Reactions: 3 people
Alex and Velo, you guys can get your panties in a twist if you choose. But consider this, do you worry about contracting chicken pox if you had it as a child? Or, if you have children, do you worry about your kids getting chicken pox if they've had it already? And, just for good measure, the prognosis of chicken pox compared to polio is not consequential to the subject of adaptive immunity and your fears of my children functioning as a modern day typhoid Mary.

Isn't that somewhat contradictory?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back