Drastic action needed on Ebola

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
BBC News - 'Drastic action' needed on Ebola

Nearly 400 people have died in the outbreak which started in Guinea and has spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

It is the largest outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical spread.

The WHO said it was "gravely concerned" and there was potential for "further international spread".

The outbreak started four months ago and is continuing to spread.

So far there have been more than 600 cases and around 60% of those infected with the virus have died.

I've been following this loosely since the first news reports showed up. The WHO fears this could spread to other bordering countries if more resources are not deployed to help.

Certainly bad for the people infected, but this isn't the kind of disease likely to become a global pandemic, from what I've read.

400 people dead within 4 months in Africa due to disease? Isn't this about normal?

Certainly bad for the people infected, but this isn't the kind of disease likely to become a global pandemic, from what I've read.

You are correct to an extent. Being that it's localized in Africa it likely won't jump to a global scale since international (trans-continental specifically) travel isn't that prevalent.

Containment measures are far easier when you deal with a place like Africa. If we are talking a city with major international connections like London, New York, Tokyo, etc it's a way different ball game.

Such biologicals are usually kept very much quarantined but an outbreak this big could lead to much easier access for those that might want to get hold of some ebola for...other purposes.

I just wanted to get this out there so I've got book/movie rights. :p

I'm all for some population control.

Seriously though, the sad truth about this kind of stuff is that it doesn't get taken seriously (meaning nobody works to find treatments/vaccines) until it become a problem in the first world countries.

"Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids."

Last edited:
Oh and the first case of the virus in Africa's largest city (Lagos, Nigeria) has been reported, this should be fun.

Not to mention the leading dr researching this stuff just contracted it.

Nasty stuff

VN Store

Back