Squatters take over a soldiers home, cops say sorry nothing we can do

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Soldier in battle to rid home of squatters, Florida sheriff

I didn't see this posted anywhere, if it is please merge or delete. Anyway a soldier comes home from serving his country and cannot get back into his own home. He calls the cops and they say they cannot help him. This is a bunch of BS. If it were some rich guys house he would have gotten back into his home in no time. I do not see how this is not criminal trespassing.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
I know a man's house is his castle but damn. Go in there & beat that pos up & kick his ass to the curb along with his girlfriend if the police does nothing but stand there with their finger in their butt. Then the problem will be solved.

Reactions: 2 people
But if they kick the squatter out of the house, how will lawgator1 continue to post on here?

Reactions: 4 people
Did the squatter not initially have to break and enter to get in the domicile? Seems like a very odd thing to be able to do. Why buy a house when you can just go claim someone else's house as your own?

I'm sure LG would sort this out for them in civil court.pro-bono ofcourse

If that were my house, I'd just grab a gun and go in and shoot them both and claim self defense. No jury would convict on that.

Sounds like murder to me. I'm not big on that.

If someone breaks into your home and claims it as their own, then they are crazy. If I caught someone that had broken into my home, they would be shot. The law affords me that right.

I'm still unsure of how this is a civil matter that the cops won't go in and hurl those people like a Frisbee out of that house.

"Do you have anything in writing saying you have a right to live here?"

"No, we have a verbal contract."

"Out."

"No."

<clack> <clack> <clack> <clack> goes the Taser.

Problem solved.

Cop was right, per the fair housing act his hands are tied. You cannot even force your own adult kid to move out without going through the eviction process.

What he could do it set the place on fire, blame the squatters, insurance pays to rebuild.

I'm still unsure of how this is a civil matter that the cops won't go in and hurl those people like a Frisbee out of that house.

"Do you have anything in writing saying you have a right to live here?"

"No, we have a verbal contract."

"Out."

"No."

<clack> <clack> <clack> <clack> goes the Taser.

Problem solved.

Fair housing act. And many states have even stricter residency rules.

Cop was right, per the fair housing act his hands are tied. You cannot even force your own adult kid to move out without going through the eviction process.

What he could do it set the place on fire, blame the squatters, insurance pays to rebuild.

There has to be a solution that doesn't involve murder, arson, or insurance fraud.

There has to be a solution that doesn't involve murder, arson, or insurance fraud.

Yes, attorneys, courts and eviction notices. All costing a bunch of money and time allowing the squatters to do pretty much whatever they want to do to the house. Then to receive (they won't) any damage compensation they would have to file suit. Squatters walk away free of charge.

I'd be pretty pissed if I found Puerto Ricans in my neighborhood, let alone my house. Poor guy is going to have a lot of Virgin Mary candles and pine scented car air fresheners to clean up. He'll probably have to get his yard re-soded as there is about a 99.9% chance that it has been turned into a parking lot for the squatters.

The comments section have some interesting proposals - most involve showing up with "buddies".

Yes, attorneys, courts and eviction notices. All costing a bunch of money and time allowing the squatters to do pretty much whatever they want to do to the house. Then to receive (they won't) any damage compensation they would have to file suit. Squatters walk away free of charge.

someone who would move into a house like this would definitely strip the place of anything valuable and leave it in shambles. Nothing short of surprise removal by force will save the house

I'd be pretty pissed if I found Puerto Ricans in my neighborhood, let alone my house. Poor guy is going to have a lot of Virgin Mary candles and pine scented car air fresheners to clean up. He'll probably have to get his yard re-soded as there is about a 99.9% chance that it has been turned into a parking lot for the squatters.

Fire!

someone who would move into a house like this would definitely strip the place of anything valuable and leave it in shambles. Nothing short of surprise removal by force will save the house

100% correct. I think in FL you have to give a 30 day notice to vacate during an eviction. Could be wrong but its at least a week.

Where have I been, that I have never heard the term "squatter" used this way before?

Happens all the time. Usually, encroachment into common property, easements and property lines. Its the reason for fences and keep out/no trespassing signs. If you don't defend your property rights you could lose them.

Happens all the time. Usually, encroachment into common property, easements and property lines. Its the reason for fences and keep out/no trespassing signs. If you don't defend your property rights you could lose them.

So Bundy was a squatter on BLM lands?

(cross thread points)

Underrated post. Made me laugh pretty hard.

VN Store

Back