IRS pays bonuses to employees who don't pay their taxes

$2.8 million to 2,800 employees. That's an average of $1,000 each, right?

Impeach!!

(Obviously, they need to pay their taxes. I imagine many of them are dealing with that, mostly responsibly. Payment arrangements, negotiating the owed amount, not uncommon stuff. Any of them just flat out refuse to pay taxes? I doubt it.)

Reactions: 2 people
just think, they could pay for the entire adventure to Bundy's ranch with just the money owed by employees whose paychecks they control. Amazing

Impeach!!

(Obviously, they need to pay their taxes. I imagine many of them are dealing with that, mostly responsibly. Payment arrangements, negotiating the owed amount, not uncommon stuff. Any of them just flat out refuse to pay taxes? I doubt it.)

If, for some reason, I owed the company I work for money that is past due from when it should have paid... and if said company was going to be issuing bonus checks to employees (including me) that might owe the company money... I would honestly hope the company would be smart enough to deduct any money that was owed from the bonus payout.

This is beyond ridiculous that a government could operate this way.

Impeach!!

Payment arrangements like not receiving a bonus?

And since they are IRS employees, who exactly are they negotiating with?

Unions formed in the government back in the 1800's..and as such back then they were trade skill based. They evolved in the early 1900's. The reality is the agencies can ignore union contracts, mine does most of the time. But the unions have lawyers who sue the agency and in essence black mail them because the agency doesn't want to spend the money to fight them in court.

If, for some reason, I owed the company I work for money that is past due from when it should have paid... and if said company was going to be issuing bonus checks to employees (including me) that might owe the company money... I would honestly hope the company would be smart enough to deduct any money that was owed from the bonus payout.

This is beyond ridiculous that a government could operate this way.

That scenario is a bit different.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess Geithner's idea of giving them all a copy of TurboTax is working out exactly as planned.

Reactions: 3 people
So the IRS, the agency that can seize your house if you don't pay your taxes, has to negotiate with its union to stop paying bonuses to employees who don't pay their taxes.

This is ridiculous.

Actually, it is not ridiculous. Unless it is specifically written into their bonus plan their bonus can be revoked due to non payment of taxes (or whatever), they are due the bonus money. That is employment law. You cannot arbitrarily revoke a stated compensation plan without written notice. Whether they are gov't employees or not, they are still employees and are covered under the same laws as everyone else.

Hell, if non payment of taxes were a valid reason for not paying bonuses, half of corporate Amercia would be broke.

Actually, it is not ridiculous. Unless it is specifically written into their bonus plan their bonus can be revoked due to non payment of taxes (or whatever), they are due the bonus money. That is employment law. You cannot arbitrarily revoke a stated compensation plan without written notice. Whether they are gov't employees or not, they are still employees and are covered under the same laws as everyone else.

Hell, if non payment of taxes were a valid reason for not paying bonuses, half of corporate Amercia would be broke.

All of this is correct however the IRS can garnish wages to collect back taxes irregardless of union contracts.

What do they get bonuses for anyway? They could just say no more bonuses.

If you read the article it says no rules are being broken. The point is the rule itself and the situation with this being the IRS is ridiculous, which it absolutely is.

What do they get bonuses for anyway? They could just say no more bonuses.

bonus, incentive, all the same. Either way its a monetary way to entice an employee to go beyond what it asked.

Again, you cannot say no to bonuses unless you specifically notify the employees in a timely manner. Now, if they don't want to pay them from here out then give them notice but you cannot just say we're not paying you because we're making up our own rules.

ok, garnish them. Still doesn't prevent them from getting the bonus. Not sure your point.

I agree, it's the fact the IRS isn't taking from their own the same way they do common subjects. I have an employee who's quarterly get nailed every time over a back tax garnishment.

VN Store

Back