Oligarchy in the USA!

Oh lawd the miley cyrus pun

2ni48eu.gif

This is not news, it's the way it's always been. You mean to tell me guys at Princeton didn't know this? The rich have always controlled everything.

History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance. -James Madison

Corporations run politics, that's interesting. I thought all the republicans were complaining about how our nations corporate tax rates were to high?

I guess that's a small price to pay in order to run an entire nation.

Reactions: 3 people
While that article has some truth to it, it's hard to take the author seriously when he starts talking about gun background checks (which already exist) and no reduction in greenhouse emissions (which already exist) as proof that an oligarchy runs the country. Basically it's a typical moron liberal trying to twist facts to get his agenda across.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd be interested in knowing how they determined the policy preferences of those in the 90th percentile of income. General polling could give general opinion but I'm not sure it is broken out by income.

Also as noted above the background check argument requires evidence that the top 10% were against it - not provided.

I'd be interested in knowing how they determined the policy preferences of those in the 90th percentile of income. General polling could give general opinion but I'm not sure it is broken out by income.

Also as noted above the background check argument requires evidence that the top 10% were against it - not provided.

I believe they simply asked themselves, "how would Scrooge McDuck vote"?

Corporations run politics, that's interesting. I thought all the republicans were complaining about how our nations corporate tax rates were to high?

I guess that's a small price to pay in order to run an entire nation.

It's not just corporations, and the effective rate they pay is different from the standard rate.

I skimmed through the study - they only included policy initiatives where a national poll was taken and that poll asked income information. They then looked to see if some policy/law was enacted within 4 years of that poll

Overall, the explanatory power of the model is quite low.

90% percentile goes to about $140K household income.

I would like to see this argument used in the Supreme Court cases Allowing obscene amounts of money being thrown at politicians and policies. Hell basically every kind of case where they want to Tax,fine, fee or put you ass in jail case.

While that article has some truth to it, it's hard to take the author seriously when he starts talking about gun background checks (which already exist) and no reduction in greenhouse emissions (which already exist) as proof that an oligarchy runs the country. Basically it's a typical moron liberal trying to twist facts to get his agenda across.

I think he is talking about universal background checks. And if that's the point, his stats are old. I remember that figure being thrown around immediately after Sandy Hook and constantly recycled by the left since.

I understand the premise but not the mechanism. How are the top 10% causing this? We are still talking millions of people. They also looked at interest groups (e.g. Forbes Top 25 power interests). It's easy to see how interest groups exert policy influence but how would 10s of millions of individuals do so unless they banded together.

As an additional note, there was a strong, positive correlation between average people's interests and the elites (10%) - .78 correlation.

I think he is talking about universal background checks. And if that's the point, his stats are old. I remember that figure being thrown around immediately after Sandy Hook and constantly recycled by the left since.

Why would an oligarchy oppose it? That is an absolutely retarded stretch on his part. If anything, they would support it and implement as many restrictions on guns as possible to keep a revolt from happening.

Why would an oligarchy oppose it? That is an absolutely retarded stretch on his part. If anything, they would support it and implement as many restrictions on guns as possible to keep a revolt from happening.

As the whole article isn't?

I agree there is an oligarchy in place, but not like they explain it. Has more to do with the power brokers (in all the political parties) instead if income equality/inequality.

As the whole article isn't?

I agree there is an oligarchy in place, but not like they explain it. Has more to do with the power brokers (in all the political parties) instead if income equality/inequality.

Yes, the whole article is crap. There clearly is an oligarchy. The writer of the article was trying to tie in his leftist ideas that he pretends aren't in place to begin with are being held back due to the oligarchy, which they aren't.

Reactions: 1 person
The US is not an oligarchy. However, the US has Plutocratic tendencies (as the study and York's post above indicate).

The US is not an oligarchy. However, the US has Plutocratic tendencies (as the study and York's post above indicate).

Yep, that was my point.

Except I think it is a mix because the corporations are controlled by select individuals and families, not guilds or similar groupings. Consequently, there are individuals who have greater amounts of influence than everyone else but they exercise it through their business entities. Often it is with the business interest as the foremost factor but their personal wealth and power is a welcome secondary benefit.

Yep, that was my point.

Except I think it is a mix because the corporations are controlled by select individuals and families, not guilds or similar groupings. Consequently, there are individuals who have greater amounts of influence than everyone else but they exercise it through their business entities. Often it is with the business interest as the foremost factor but their personal wealth and power is a welcome secondary benefit.

I agree. I would add, and I think more importantly, the general electorate via their own actions, or rather inaction, does far more to enhance the effects of the various Plutocrats/corporations than the acts/money in and of themselves (or within a different political climate).

I agree. I would add, and I think more importantly, the general electorate via their own actions, or rather inaction, does far more to enhance the effects of the various Plutocrats/corporations than the acts/money in and of themselves (or within a different political climate).

Ok, now you are starting to philosophize again, I'll bench myself...

Any updates on the job front?

I think it's silly to measure a Congress' effectiveness based on how many laws are passed.

As Bill Gates once said, "measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight."

I feel the same about measuring the effectiveness of a governing body in a free society by the number of laws created.

VN Store

Back