New knife law in Tennessee

Is a switchblade different than the "assist opening" knives? I think here (Alabama) the latter are limited to a particular size but they basically operate like a switchblade.

Is a switchblade different than the "assist opening" knives? I think here (Alabama) the latter are limited to a particular size but they basically operate like a switchblade.

Yes. An assisted opening knife still requires pressure to move it from the closed position. After it gets to a certain point, a spring helps "assist" it to the open (and locked if it's that type) position.

A switchblade or auto opening knife only needs a depression of a button to open.

I think it depends on whether it's spring or gear driven bit I'm not certain on that. Most of my knife knowledge comes from falling asleep with the history channel on and having cutlery corner invade my rem sleep.

Yes. An assisted opening knife still requires pressure to move it from the closed position. After it gets to a certain point, a spring helps "assist" it to the open (and locked if it's that type) position.

A switchblade or auto opening knife only needs a depression of a button to open.

Thanks. I'm probably going to get a nice sword but may use a switchblade for backup.

If there's a difference in how easily/fast I could open a SB vs my Spyderco Military (which isn't even assisted) I very much doubt I'd be able to notice.

Modern knife designs have basically rendered the the SB vs "other" discussion rather moot IMO.

As for swords look for an explosion of sales around Halloween. Being Michonne just got way cooler.

Last edited:
If there's a difference in how easily/fast I could open a SB vs my Spyderco Military (which isn't even assisted) I very much doubt I'd be able to notice.

Modern knife designs have basically rendered the the SB vs "other" discussion rather moot IMO.

As for swords look for an explosion of sales around Halloween. Being Michonne just got way cooler.

Love my CRKT types for the smooth opening.

But the Benchmade does have it's place.

Reactions: 1 person

I think the primary motivation for passing the law was that some tennesseans were claiming that some knife manufacturers would not ship assisted opening knives into the state for fear that it might be deemed a switchblade under the legal definition that has been in tennessee law for ages. Getting to carry swords is just a bonus.

Sweet, my antique dai-katana is street legal now.

I found the picture of you and your sword

DSC05983.JPG

I never understood why switchblades were illegal to begin with. What difference does it make how the knife opens? Don't they all function similarly once they're open? Someone enlighten me on the dangers of switchblades.

I never understood why switchblades were illegal to begin with. What difference does it make how the knife opens? Don't they all function similarly once they're open? Someone enlighten me on the dangers of switchblades.

Because it's scary and that's all the rationale that liberals need. And was a weapon criminals used.

Kind of like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors on those evil assault rifles you know?

VN Store

Back