What's your take on the Mozilla situation?

volinbham

VN GURU
Mozilla has the right to choose whoever they want as CEO (and this isn't a First Amendment issue).

They are being hypocritical in claiming because they are all about diversity (including religious diversity) and so someone who 6 years ago donated $1000 to help Prop 8 has to go. They apologized for hiring such a person who apparently deeply violated the core values of Mozilla (one of which is tolerance).

So 100% of Mozilla employees must agree with gay marriage?

Had Mozilla manned up and said this guy is going to hurt our business then I could understand.

I've seen people defending Mozilla saying that because a CEO is the face of the company their personal views matter. That didn't seem to stop people from supporting Obama who held the same views as this guy at the time he made his donation.

Think like us or suffer the consequences.

Reactions: 4 people
Shows how low we've gone under the first gay prez..so much for tolerance or acceptance, it's progressed way beyond that.

Reactions: 2 people
I use Dolphin on my phone. Firefox, Chrome nor Chrome works well with my work applications. I still use IE on my home computer.

Are you using AOL dial up too?

Ha Ha. I do remember those days of sitting and waiting on a page to load and thought it was amazing

I dont know why FF, Opera nor Chrome does not work properly. They squeeze all the lines together for some reason. I tried several browsers on my S3, Dolphin works great. On my laptop IE works best.

they are losing a very smart programmer by doing this. I don't think they thought out the move and/or truly understand what diversity entails.

this part:
"Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard."
it's not hard, just fire the ones whose speech you don't agree with. At least Eich made his views in public

they've also known about this for at least 2 years but did nothing

I agree a company has the right to hire/fire who they want and has to make a business decision if they think their business will be hurt by who is CEO. So overall, technically I agree with Mozilla because I think they should be able to decide who they want to be in charge.

But it's crap he got canned over this. His contribution from years ago aside, do they have any proof he still is actively fighting against benefits for gay employees? Did this come up in his interview process about what policy changes he would make? And apparently they did a poor screening job to even try to deal with this before he was given the job.

Seems like a very poor job of Mozilla handling this whole thing. I guess good for him he got a fat payday to walk away.

Who actually owns Mozilla? I know they are a non-profit, that seems to be highly profitable. So who pockets all this? The corporation? Is it all re-invested?

I guess I don't care what a company says or does. Making stupid decisions almost always comes back around...unless you are GM. I guess I just have a hard time seeing how this works with a non-profit. I guess the product just gets worse.

Mozilla obviously has the right to hire/fire as they choose.

I just think the reasoning in this case is supremely stupid.

I didn't realize this was the same guy that created Javascript.

Really wondering how OKCupid works without that...

i don't like the precedent this sets of firing people for personal beliefs. if people are good at their job, they are good at their job and that should be all that matters at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back