Every Police Department Needs to Get on Board

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
This cool product is a no-brainer. Filming police interactions promotes better behavior and protects good cops and innocent civilians. Every PD needs these as part of SOP and if any cops resists, you know what kind they are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QNWkqX_dk[/youtube]

I'm cool with it. As the video said, it would keep not only the cops but both parties in check. And as you mentioned, only cops that have something to hide would fight them.

I won't attempt to compare the two professions because they're vastly different, but I am a nurse. Nursing is an profession where legality of basically everything you do is a major issue. I realize due to privacy issues a similar product probably would be out of the question. With that said, I would be perfectly fine with wearing one of these my entire shift. I feel it would be extremely beneficial for the protection of the nurse and the patient. Similar to law-enforcement, I feel like only nurses who do things they know they're not supposed to would oppose. I believe it would also majorly cut down on the amount of charting that I have to do. I believe a product similar to this would be far more likely to help me in court before he would ever hurt me.

Yeah, I try to document anything weird at my job just in case (I work in an office). Like one time a lady went off on me calling me a jerk in front of a bunch of people for slighlty teasing her about her favorite team in the NBA. She had a reputation for drama and so as soon as it happened I e-mailed my boss and just said, "This happened. I don't care. Don't do anything about it. I just wanted to document it." and left it that. It never came back on me, though she did leave after accusing a boss of harassment. You can never be too careful.

Yeah, I try to document anything weird at my job just in case (I work in an office). Like one time a lady went off on me calling me a jerk in front of a bunch of people for slighlty teasing her about her favorite team in the NBA. She had a reputation for drama and so as soon as it happened I e-mailed my boss and just said, "This happened. I don't care. Don't do anything about it. I just wanted to document it." and left it that. It never came back on me, though she did leave after accusing a boss of harassment. You can never be too careful.

Black woman?

Reactions: 1 person
If you are having problems with cops you are doing life wrong..

The only thing I would improve is the manual on/off. Technology is there where it can auto turn on/off when you leave/return to the vehicle. Leave the dash cam for all in-vehicle recording.

There are pros and cons to this type of system. On the police side you do have an increased type of accountability and possible prevention of abuse on their side. On the civilian side you do have a check on getting stupid during a response since they know they are being recorded.

Now the problems come about not only from the police side turning off said device during a response, but from the civilian side screaming about invasion of privacy.

Reasonable controls on this type of program as well as a good PR campaign could make this a very valuable tool in both the hands of police and citizens. There would be times when a system should be shut off during a response, but for everyday interactions between police and the population it could do nothing but help.

There are pros and cons to this type of system. On the police side you do have an increased type of accountability and possible prevention of abuse on their side. On the civilian side you do have a check on getting stupid during a response since they know they are being recorded.

Now the problems come about not only from the police side turning off said device during a response, but from the civilian side screaming about invasion of privacy.

Reasonable controls on this type of program as well as a good PR campaign could make this a very valuable tool in both the hands of police and citizens. There would be times when a system should be shut off during a response, but for everyday interactions between police and the population it could do nothing but help.

What are the circumstances that it should be switched off?

What are the circumstances that it should be switched off?

If they are trying to protect the identity of witnesses to crimes or if the victims want to make an anonymous statement/complaint. Sometimes victims of sexual crimes are reticent to speak on record (embarrassment) and would feel more comfortable speaking to a single person instead of the entire world in the immediate aftermath.

There are others, those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head. Not all situations need to be recorded right then and there, some for good reason that protects the citizens. Recordings and official documentary can always come later after the incident in an environment that's conducive to that sort of thing.

What are the laws regarding expectation of privacy? If someone is arrested in their home, do the police have the legal ability to film it without the owner's permission?

What are the laws regarding expectation of privacy? If someone is arrested in their home, do the police have the legal ability to film it without the owner's permission?

It's a fine line and actually something LG could answer better than me concerning the expectation of privacy.

As for the arrest, depends greatly on situation. If there's a search warrant, the documentary of the scene is inclusive. For someone who was evading and runs into a house, the areas under their immediate control can be recorded as it's part of the crime. But other areas would require a warrant.

If they are trying to protect the identity of witnesses to crimes or if the victims want to make an anonymous statement/complaint. Sometimes victims of sexual crimes are reticent to speak on record (embarrassment) and would feel more comfortable speaking to a single person instead of the entire world in the immediate aftermath.

There are others, those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head. Not all situations need to be recorded right then and there, some for good reason that protects the citizens. Recordings and official documentary can always come later after the incident in an environment that's conducive to that sort of thing.

Blurring out and identity protection can come after the fact too. I don't think this is being broadcast anywhere, it is downloaded after the shift.

Blurring out and identity protection can come after the fact too. I don't think this is being broadcast anywhere, it is downloaded after the shift.

Doesn't change the fact that some will not want to speak in front of a camera.

It would've been fine with me if it was off when not dealing with an investigation.

VN Store

Back