Rep. Moran - Congress is Underpaid

volinbham

VN GURU
Awesome

Rep. Jim Moran: ‘Members of Congress are underpaid’ | OnPolitics

“I think the American people should know the members of Congress are underpaid,” Moran, D-Va., told CQ Roll Call. “I understand that it’s widely felt they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.”

Moran says the congressional salary isn’t enough for some lawmakers, who have to pay for housing in Washington and in their home districts. He notes there are members who sleep in their offices, rent “little” apartments or rooms from others on Capitol Hill or share housing with their colleagues while they go about their business in Washington.

Let them eat cake

Reactions: 3 people
I think he may actually have a point. 174k is far less than I thought they would be making, and we do want to attract the best people possible to run our country.

Also, if they have to maintain residency in there district while also having a home in Washington can't be cheap.

Reactions: 1 person
:cray: Poor poor little ol thangs. Do they also eat peanut butter & jelly sammiches too? Now they know what the rest of the country's going through & feels like. I would gladly swap my past income for their's any day.If they would do their damn job then maybe a raise would come along. Learn to tighten that income belt like the rest of us do.

Last edited:
I think he may actually have a point. 174k is far less than I thought they would be making, and we do want to attract the best people possible to run our country.

Also, if they have to maintain residency in there district while also having a home in Washington can't be cheap.

Why can't they commute ? Maryland and Va close enough.

Why can't they commute ? Maryland and Va close enough.

Even if they commute what if the district you represent is in NY city. Do you think you could afford a home there and a home in Baltimore for 174?

And if you werethe type of intelligent person we need in congress (a CEO for a successful corporation perhaps) do you really believe it would be worthwhile for you to leave your job for 174k?

Even if they commute what if the district you represent is in NY city. Do you think you could afford a home there and a home in Baltimore for 174?

And if you werethe type of intelligent person we need in congress (a CEO for a successful corporation perhaps) do you really believe it would be worthwhile for you to leave your job for 174k?

They could always get a part-time job at Mickey D's.

Are we taking Into account money they get from lobbyists and special interest groups?

Reactions: 2 people

I've yet to see any performance from any of them that would merit a pay increase.

Reactions: 4 people
DC is stupid expensive. A 2 bedroom place on The Hill will run you anywhere from 3k to 8k per month. That's not terrible considering their salaries, but they are also paying for their home in their district, plus regular flights back and forth.

Not to say they do or do not need a pay increase, just that it's not as stupid as it might seem

Just shows how completely out of touch they are in DC. If they're in need of money they can just do a little insider trading like the rest of their coworkers

Reactions: 1 person
I needed a good laugh

Also, I need to get into politics so I can land a nice 6 figure salary.

DC is stupid expensive. A 2 bedroom place on The Hill will run you anywhere from 3k to 8k per month. That's not terrible considering their salaries, but they are also paying for their home in their district, plus regular flights back and forth.

Not to say they do or do not need a pay increase, just that it's not as stupid as it might seem

The simple answer would be to move all congressional business to a more affordable location. Texarkana maybe?

What was the round trip in miles each day?

i live between the 2 and i believe it is roughly 35-40 miles each way, but that does no justice to the unbearable traffic in this area. i live 45 miles from home and sometimes it takes me 2.5 hours to get there

and i am pretty sure 98% of the country would gladly trade jobs with them for that salary.

i live between the 2 and i believe it is roughly 35-40 miles each way, but that does no justice to the unbearable traffic in this area. i live 45 miles from home and sometimes it takes me 2.5 hours to get there

and i am pretty sure 98% of the country would gladly trade jobs with them for that salary.

We drove from my office in Arlington, VA to Camden Yards on Wednesday and it took us over 2 hours to get there. Unreal.

VN Store

Back