TN HB-1547 on 'student religious freedom'

Boy, it's something new and equally useless almost every week with that bunch in Nashville. Only slightly more absurd than the numbers by which it passed in both houses. I didn't even know this was a problem to begin with.

Two things immediately stuck out:

1. Graduations and sporting events will now probably become Christian "rah rah" rallies at numerous schools.

2. I'd need to know the exact specifics/wording of the bill, but I wonder how long before students start suiting teachers over grades regarding the religious content of their writing/assignments. Say the assignment has no apparent connection to religion, yet a student wants to interject their religion in the assignment for whatever reason. Would the student be authorized to do so, while a teacher would simply have to grit their teeth?

Just silly.

Reactions: 3 people
Well, that's embarrassing. :hmm:

cry-baby.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Wonder if this means you can't fail someone in science class for writing a paper on the 6000yo earth

Reactions: 8 people
Wonder if this means you can't fail someone in science class for writing a paper on the 6000yo earth

That's partially what I was driving at with my second point in my first post, although I was speaking more to subjects/assignments that would seem to have even less to do with religion than Earth's formation.

The more I think about this, how would this law even be legal? I'm thinking the theocrat cohort knows this and knows that (for this reason) Haslam will probably not sign it into law. The end result? Politician X looks like a million bucks to Johnny and Sally for standing up for and "protecting" their religious rights.

Reactions: 1 person
It's so difficult being a Christian in America. Sometimes you have to go two or three days without a politician sucking up to you.

Reactions: 8 people
And they say VN is too conservative. There's some serious liberal circle-jerking going in here. Haha

Unless your equating conservatives to Christians and liberals as non-Christians, then this isn't a liberal circle jerk. This is a non-Christian circle jerk.

So you think this law is a good idea? And if so, why exactly?

A student should be able to share their beliefs or non-beliefs. What's wrong with a student who is a Christian using religious beliefs in a paper? What's wrong with an atheist using non-belief in one? Why not give it a try? Let everyone have their own choice and voice. If it doesn't work or causes too much trouble then scrap it.

I see it is ruffling some of your feathers and I am assuming because this is dealing with religion. I have never understood why religious freedom in schools scares people.

A student should be able to share their beliefs or non-beliefs. What's wrong with a student who is a Christian using religious beliefs in a paper? What's wrong with an atheist using non-belief in one? Why not give it a try? Let everyone have their own choice and voice. If it doesn't work or causes too much trouble then scrap it.

I see it is ruffling some of your feathers and I am assuming because this is dealing with religion. I have never understood why religious freedom in schools scares people.

If a student is told to write a paper on the history of the Earth, and they write about the 6000 year old Earth theory, should they fail? I have no problem with them writing about whatever the **** they want to write about. The problem arises when teachers are going to be expected to pass a paper on the 6000 year old Earth theory to avoid "religious discrimination".

Last I checked, public schools were not to be used for religious functions that not all students want to be exposed to (as this bill would seem to allow). I don't understand why a secular education scares people so much.

Reactions: 2 people
I love that the captain of the football team is defined as a ”position of honor” with this bill.

Last I checked, public schools were not to be used for religious functions that not all students want to be exposed to (as this bill would seem to allow). I don't understand why a secular education scares people so much.
$

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 122
If a student is told to write a paper on the history of the Earth, and they write about the 6000 year old Earth theory, should they fail? I have no problem with them writing about whatever the **** they want to write about. The problem arises when teachers are going to be expected to pass a paper on the 6000 year old Earth theory to avoid "religious discrimination".

If this bill passes, it's lawsuit city for Tennessee, both from the right (who claims to get discriminated against in grading) and from the left (who realizes this is just a Christian theocratic ploy, plain and simple, not to mention, illegal).

Luckily for Tennessee, they apparently won't have to worry about lawyering up for the "Campfield/UT" bills as he's dropped them. Those would have been legalistic nightmares as well for the state. As it turns out, the UT Administration made enough concessions to the theocrat that he dropped the bills. He essentially won though. I have no respect for our administration. First it was the top-25 bullcrap, then it's giving in to unwarranted political pressure.

Why can't it be the parents responbility to instill religious beliefs into their children. Let the church do the work. It has no place in public schools.

Why can't it be the parents responbility to instill religious beliefs into their children. Let the church do the work. It has no place in public schools.

The state of Tennessee apparently won't be satisfied until our public schools are churches. When you think about it though, it's a remarkable fiscal strategy: shut down all the public schools, layoff all the public educators, and just have students go to church Mon.-Fri. Won't have to fund public schools anymore. Just let the churches educate everyone.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back