ABC Raleigh Sting Operation on Cops

I didn't watch but a few minutes of the video, but is it mentioned that sometimes cops respond to calls without sirens and lights to avoid tipping off their position or that an alarm has been triggered?

The one piece of equipment ABC didn't seem to be using was a police scanner.

I didn't watch but a few minutes of the video, but is it mentioned that sometimes cops respond to calls without sirens and lights to avoid tipping off their position or that an alarm has been triggered?

The one piece of equipment ABC didn't seem to be using was a police scanner.

They didn't really talk about anything other than the 3 cops they chose to show. They followed them to their destinations (Dunkin' Donuts, etc.) and confronted the cops. They clearly weren't justified in their violations of the law.

Reactions: 1 person
They didn't really talk about anything other than the 3 cops they chose to show. They followed them to their destinations (Dunkin' Donuts, etc.) and confronted the cops. They clearly weren't justified in their violations of the law.

So three cops speeding is going to be used as an indictment for the entire profession? Again, ABC is only telling part of the story. The fact that some calls are responded to without lights and sirens should have been mentioned.

So three cops speeding is going to be used as an indictment for the entire profession? Again, ABC is only telling part of the story. The fact that some calls are responded to without lights and sirens should have been mentioned.

I guess I must have missed the part where they indicted the entire profession.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess I must have missed the part where they indicted the entire profession.

pardon my hyperbole then

still, what happens when some moron trails a speeding cop car that is responding to a crime in progress?

They used a chopper and various vehicles to track the cops...I don't think they were speeding themselves.

pardon my hyperbole then

still, what happens when some moron trails a speeding cop car that is responding to a crime in progress?

Don't act like every cop breaking traffic laws are responding to a call. I would bet 90%+ are not.

Don't act like every cop breaking traffic laws are responding to a call. I would bet 90%+ are not.

I'm not. I'm just saying it SHOULD have been mentioned in the ABC story.

and to be honest, I don't care if they're speeding. The ones that piss me off are the ones who will drive at 5 mph under the posted speed limit and laugh their asses off at all the idiots too scared to speed up just a little to pass them.

and to be honest, I don't care if they're speeding. The ones that piss me off are the ones who will drive at 5 mph under the posted speed limit and laugh their asses off at all the idiots too scared to speed up just a little to pass them.

That pisses me off too, more so at the idiots who won't pass than the cop.

Oh it pisses me off when they speed. Nothing pisses me off more than the hypocrisy of someone in a position of authority who refuses to abide by the rules they impose on everyone else.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't care that much if they speed, but the guy going 70 in a 45 is ridiculous. This especially pisses me off when I've been issued a ticket every time I've been pulled over for speeding.

One time I got pulled over so a cop could check my window tint...this made me late for class so I sped a bit and got pulled over for going 33 in a 25 zone...yup, he gave me a ticket. No forgiveness whatsoever.

None of them were really rude, but it was obvious they were all really aggravated. It was clear they felt they were immune to any scrutiny regarding that particular law.

Must be nice....

I had to pay a $85 ticket the other day for going 57 in a 45. I got caught by a train and was trying to make up time so I could get my daughter to school on time.

Like Huff said.... no forgiveness at all. He didn't even consider cutting me some slack.

Last edited:
None of them were really rude, but it was obvious they were all really aggravated. It was clear they felt they were immune to any scrutiny regarding that particular law.

Must be nice....

I had to pay a $85 ticket the other day for going 57 in a 45. I got caught by a train and was trying to make up time so I could get my daughter to school on time.

Like Huff said.... no forgiveness at all. He didn't even consider cutting me some slack.

I can see getting away with anything up to 5mph over the limit, but yeah, going 12 miles over the limit, you kind of deserved that ticket.

Either leave a few minutes earlier, or look at a different route to possibly avoid the train crossing.

I can see getting away with anything up to 5mph over the limit, but yeah, going 12 miles over the limit, you kind of deserved that ticket.

Either leave a few minutes earlier, or look at a different route to possibly avoid the train crossing.

My actions came no where even remotely close to "kind of" deserving to an $85 fine. I've got a handful tickets before that were semi legit and paid them without complaint.

My driving in this particular instance was far from dangerous and easily could've been ignored or warned at the worst. Officers are allowed to assess the situation and subjectively make a decision whether a ticket is necessary. Driving 12 miles over the limit on a back road that's straight as an arrow where there probably isn't another car within a half a mile in either direction while trying to ensure that your daughter isn't late to school doesn't constitute a fine in my opinion. If I had been going 85, been in heavy traffic, or even posed the tiniest bit of a safety risk to myself or others I might have "deserved" it.

Even though catching the train is a rarity, most days I account for it and leave early. Not to mention that an alternate route that avoids the train tracks would probably be a bigger delay than actually getting caught by the train. That particular day I was running slightly late and my daughter is a goody two-shoes and hates having to sign in at the office when she's late.

Not to mention the entire point of the post wasn't really to express frustration regarding the ticket itself, rather to express frustration at the double standard.

Lastly, any officer that issues a speeding ticket for anything under 10 over is a complete douche.

Lastly, any officer that issues a speeding ticket for anything under 10 over is a complete douche.

I used to write them in school zones and child care centers starting at 5 over, does that make me a douche?

I used to write them in school zones and child care centers starting at 5 over, does that make me a douche?

School and construction zones are a different story. Both are areas with high pedestrian traffic and minor speeding can legitimately pose a real safety threat.

I'm a fairly reasonable person. If I'm posing a legitimate safety threat to myself or others while behind the wheel, no matter how fast I'm going while doing it, I'll suck it up and pay the fine. I won't necessarily be happy about it, but I won't act like a victim either.

Edit: I suppose I would pay the fine regardless because it's not exactly optional, but you know what I meant.

I think that is fair.

If you are 5 mph over, you should get a ticket as well.

VN Store

Back