If you are poor, just stop being poor.

What's the alternative? Continue to live on others efforts?

Saying, "If you are poor, just stop being poor" is as absurd as saying, "If you are drowning, just stop drowning."

Sure, there are some individuals who are poor largely do to genuinely poor life choices, just as there are some individuals who end up in a position in which they are drowning due to genuinely poor life choices. Maybe we have no obligation to help those who do not help themselves or who are in the situation they are in due to their life choices. Those are defensible positions; however, those positions still do not make the comment, "If you are poor, just stop being poor" any less absurd.

Reactions: 8 people
Saying, "If you are poor, just stop being poor" is as absurd as saying, "If you are drowning, just stop drowning."

Sure, there are some individuals who are poor largely do to genuinely poor life choices, just as there are some individuals who end up in a position in which they are drowning due to genuinely poor life choices. Maybe we have no obligation to help those who do not help themselves or who are in the situation they are in due to their life choices. Those are defensible positions; however, those positions still do not make the comment, "If you are poor, just stop being poor" any less absurd.

Life's a b**** TRUT.

If these people want to do better, excuses aren't the answer. The truth hurts.

Life's a b**** TRUT.

Yes, life is a *****. But, saying that not being poor is as simple as deciding not to be poor is absurd. It is as absurd as saying that learning how to swim is as simple as deciding to learn how to swim.

Life is a ***** and changing one's situation in life is tough. It is doable, but it is tough.

Life's a b**** TRUT.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that all poor people are poor due to bad life decisions? Your posts seem to suggests that you do.

I wouldn't imagine the Daily Show ever editing anything to make it seem completely out of context to get a laugh or two...

There are people that work 70 hours/week and barely scrape by. Not all poor people are bums

Reactions: 5 people
I was born in Maryland. When I was a little kid my mom had to go on welfare for a few years. She divorced my dead beat, druggie dad and could not work because I was a sickly child. We were poor. I have eaten government cheese. I have worn clothes that were given to me. I get the distinct feeling this guy has never been poor. Being poor absolutely sucks.

If being poor were that easily cured, then there would be no poor people. I will admit that there are many people who are taking advantage of the system. There are however many people that legitimately need assistance. Saying stop being poor and insinuating that should apply to all poor people without knowing the circumstances as to what led to the poverty is absolute insanity.

Reactions: 6 people
Wow, this dude essentially sentenced the impoverished to a lifetime of poverty with this statement.

Oh yea, who is he again? And if he weren't on the daily show then I'm guessing zero poor people would have ever seen him or his statement.

How about...

"If you are not looking for a job, and you are able to work, then start looking for a job."

Not only might you be able to get some health benefits, but you may even start contributing toward health benefits for those who need them and really aren't able to work.

Reactions: 1 person

Except not being able to swim is different than being too lazy to work.

VN Store

Back