So VW actually WANTS the UAW in Chattanooga

allvol123

To please some union they deal with in Europe? Is this correct?

Evidently they need Work councils that involve their hourly folks and to have the in the US you have to be unionized.

Good grief, if that happens I hope that place falls apart. I probably wouldn't have to hope too hard.

Reactions: 1 person

Evidently they need Work councils that involve their hourly folks and to have the in the US you have to be unionized.

Good grief, if that happens I hope that place falls apart. I probably wouldn't have to hope too hard.

Why do you care if the company wants them there? I thought the love for non-union is to improve profit margins for the company? So what if Euro companies do things differently than you do? At least they're bringing jobs to Chattanooga.

Under Tennessee law, workers would not have to join the union to be represented. GOP lawmakers say the state could limit incentives if UAW representation is Ok'd.

Under Tennessee law, workers would not have to join the union to be represented. GOP lawmakers say the state could limit incentives if UAW representation is Ok'd.

Good. I don't want UAW getting any Tennessee tax breaks.

If VW goes union by choice then they should foot the bill.

Why do you care if the company wants them there? I thought the love for non-union is to improve profit margins for the company? So what if Euro companies do things differently than you do? At least they're bringing jobs to Chattanooga.

If VW wanted them there then why did it take pressure for VW to get this going?

Regardless of how things go, I hope the workers ultimately end up happy and VW does good and has a long future in TN.

If VW goes downhill and out of business, it will be very bad, at least in the short term, for a lot of people in east TN, and north Georgia. Quite a few automotive parts suppliers have locations in the area, though many have been for years or decades prior to VW showing up, and several have contracts with VW. Then you have issues such as a VW warehouse having recently been built in the Roane County, TN area which could close of VW Chattanooga goes away.

Union, non Union, either way, I want the plant to stay strong and stay alive long term.

Heck, who knows, maybe by taking a cue from this German works council style setup, it might give UAW and other unions an idea of how they could improve their own operations and images if successful.

The sad thing is VW doesn't understand their Work Councils are far different from UAW. They have no idea what they're stepping into with these gangsters.

VW should call Perelli and Petrrbilt and ask them how that union cooperation worked out for them.

The German auto workers union can give VW hell in Germany if they don't allow the UAW in their plants in the US. There's a law in Germany that all companies have to negotiate with unions.

The German auto workers union can give VW hell in Germany if they don't allow the UAW in their plants in the US. There's a law in Germany that all companies have to negotiate with unions.

People would've thought that VW had hashed out all this Union crap with the State of Tennessee before going & spending millions & millions of dollars for a plant to be built & the hiring of thousands of people to stop & scratch their heads & realize that they aren't in Germany. Germany Union laws don't apply here....duh.

People would've thought that VW had hashed out all this Union crap with the State of Tennessee before going & spending millions & millions of dollars for a plant to be built & the hiring of thousands of people to stop & scratch their heads & realize that they aren't in Germany. Germany Union laws don't apply here....duh.

The German version of the AFL-CIO(Deutcher Gewerkschaftsbund) can give them hell and have with sit ins at some plants in Germany. VW is between a rock and a hard place. It has been said that the UAW has been talking to them

Man-clapping.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Here's what UAW region 8 director Gary Casteel had to say about the defeat."We commend volkswagon on it's commitment to global human rights,to worker rights and trying to provide an atmosphere of freedom to make a decision". Unfortunately,politically motivated third parties threatened the economic future of this facility(the UAW was a bigger threat) and the opportunity for workers to create a successful operating model that would grow jobs in Tennessee". "While we're outraged by politicians and outside special interests groups interfering with the basic legal right for workers to form a union,we're proud that these workers were brave and stood up to the tremendous pressure from the outside. "We hope this will start a larger discussion about the workers right to organize.:rolleyes:

When doing business internationally you follow the laws of the country you are doing business in.

Here's what UAW region 8 director Gary Casteel had to say about the defeat."We commend volkswagon on it's commitment to global human rights,to worker rights and trying to provide an atmosphere of freedom to make a decision". Unfortunately,politically motivated third parties threatened the economic future of this facility(the UAW was a bigger threat) and the opportunity for workers to create a successful operating model that would grow jobs in Tennessee". "While we're outraged by politicians and outside special interests groups interfering with the basic legal right for workers to form a union,we're proud that these workers were brave and stood up to the tremendous pressure from the outside. "We hope this will start a larger discussion about the workers right to organize.:rolleyes:
It worked so well for Detroit!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back