Keystone Pipeline - a red line?

I missed the part where it said he wasn't going to approve it.

Did you not watch the sotu? Climate change is real & we will lead the way in reducing carbon emissions etc etc etc bla bla bla. Which means we will squander billions of dollars instead of doing something to actually help the economy.

Reactions: 3 people
I missed the part where it said he wasn't going to approve it.

It's called speculation. The hedging language after this "final" report came out makes it reasonable to speculate he will not approve it; or at least will drag it out as long as possible which is in conflict with his "I have a phone and a pen" commentary.

Reactions: 1 person
If I had to bet, I would bet that some form of pipeline will ultimately be approved. He'll continue to drag out the process for a while, but eventually give it the green light.

It's called speculation. The hedging language after this "final" report came out makes it reasonable to speculate he will not approve it; or at least will drag it out as long as possible which is in conflict with his "I have a phone and a pen" commentary.

It's more political circle jerk.

If I had to bet, I would bet that some form of pipeline will ultimately be approved. He'll continue to drag out the process for a while, but eventually give it the green light.

Why drag this out any longer than it has already? He keeps putting it off and putting it off and gets more environmental impact research done...five times now.

He's dragging his feet and hoping there will finally be a slim excuse not to sign it in one of these reports.

And risk endangering his friendship with Warren Buffet, whose railroad is already transporting oil along the same route Keystone would take?

And risk endangering his friendship with Warren Buffet, whose railroad is already transporting oil along the same route Keystone would take?

Exactly ... Lotta folks aren't aware of that...I wonder if that spill that happened recently was a part of his rr.

Why drag this out any longer than it has already? He keeps putting it off and putting it off and gets more environmental impact research done...five times now..

Why alienate constituent interest groups today if you can wait until tomorrow?

If he was dead set against the project, he could have shut it down long ago, rather than go through this process of generating inconclusive reports and comment periods.

He'll get over it.

Did you not watch the sotu? Climate change is real & we will lead the way in reducing carbon emissions etc etc etc bla bla bla. Which means we will squander billions of dollars instead of doing something to actually help the economy.

Yep. Regular people call em "seasons".

Why alienate constituent interest groups today if you can wait until tomorrow?

Let's see...

66% support the project, 23% opposed. Leaving 11% as unknown, but still won't even make half if they swayed those. And this day in age getting 66% of the people to agree on anything is miraculous.

But we have a president that is courting the environmentalist vote to include extremist groups that threaten "civil disobedience" if the pipeline goes through. And could have been courting the oil industry, roughnecks and supporting jobs that could and would put people to work. But I guess it's better to have them on welfare and to continue getting our oil from overseas sources specifically from nations that typically hate Americans, but love our dollars.

It's BS to have sat on this for so long and after making the oil industry make so many changes voluntarily. Five studies and they all reach the same conclusion that this will have negligible impact on the environment, will create jobs and infrastructure and will lessen our dependence on overseas oil sources. But I guess in the name of politics, that doesn't matter.

Reactions: 2 people

This. The good of nation takes second place to the good of well-heeled progressive donors.

Obama's trying to avoid any decision on this project as long as possible, because it has him between a rock and a hard place. If he approves it, he pisses off the environmentalists. If he rejects it, he pisses off the unions. The only way he doesn't alienate a significant faction of his supporters is to stay neutral.

But I guess it's better to have them on welfare and to continue getting our oil from overseas sources specifically from nations that typically hate Americans, but love our dollars.

Uh, this pipeline comes from Canada, right?

VN Store

Back