JP Morgan = Lane Kiffin of finance/banking

They're in bed with the government croneys that are supposed to be regulating them. Of course all of this is blamed on capitalism....sigh

Reactions: 1 person
How many minor infractions do you need to break before they become major infractions? I'm starting to think Jamie Dimon is Lane Kiffin. $20 billion in fines in the last year and JPM doesn't miss a beat.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/steep-penalties-taken-in-stride-by-jpmorgan-chase/?_r=0

One reason that JPMorgan can absorb the $20 billion is that it has steadily set aside reserves over the last few years to finance future legal payouts. Mr. Goldberg, the bank analyst, estimates that, as of last year’s third quarter, JPMorgan had injected $28 billion into its legal reserves since the end of 2009. The legal payouts that have been subtracted from the reserves, including those booked since the third quarter, might have taken the reserve down to about $10 billion. Most analysts expect JPMorgan will be able to cover any remaining settlements, though the bank said on Tuesday that it might have to set aside an extra $400 million for the Madoff settlement.

In theory, regulators have other ways of improving ethics at banks. They can try to hold more individuals personally accountable. Some senior executives have left JPMorgan as a result of recent scandals at the bank, including the so-called London whale incident, in which the bank’s traders lost more than $6 billion on botched derivatives trades. In recent months, the bank has also added two members to its board to improve oversight.

But facts contained in the government’s Madoff action suggest that efforts to hold executives responsible may go only so far.

JPMorgan Chase Gives CEO Jamie Dimon a Raise | TIME.com

After paying approximately $20 billion in fines to federal authorities over the past year, JP Morgan Chase’s board voted to give their chairman and chief executive Jamie Dimon a raise.

The debate, taking place in a conference room overlooking a snow-covered Central Park, became heated at times, but was finally settled in favor of those who argued that Dimon had proved a good steward through these shaky times.

Reactions: 2 people
Jamie Dimon is a very visible CEO. He's also close to the Obama administration. And from my impression, JP Morgan is considered a very well run bank. As far as the salary freeze, that's what happens when employment goes down in a sector. Labor gets cheaper.

Dimon is probably worth his pay.

Whistleblower or some document dropping coming real soon... wait for it.

It's got to be some disgruntled employees with info floating around.

Why isn't he in jail?

The only thing he did wrong was speak out against the Obama Admin. Why isnt BOA being attacked like JPM is? Because their CEO kept his mouth shut

Jamie Dimon is a very visible CEO. He's also close to the Obama administration. And from my impression, JP Morgan is considered a very well run bank. As far as the salary freeze, that's what happens when employment goes down in a sector. Labor gets cheaper.

Dimon is probably worth his pay.

The only thing he did wrong was speak out against the Obama Admin. Why isnt BOA being attacked like JPM is? Because their CEO kept his mouth shut

So is he close to the Obama admin or is he a harsh critic?

Doesn't matter. When Eric Holder states that Justice Department can't do anything about some of the issues with JPM, that is all you need to know.

Dimon has been a critic of the administration lately. But there was a lot more cozying up before that.

Dimon donates primarily to the Democratic Party.[34] In May 2012, he described himself as "barely a Democrat" [35] stating,
I've gotten disturbed at some of the Democrats' anti-business behavior, the attacks on work ethic and successful people. I think it's very counterproductive. ... It doesn't mean I don't have their values. I want jobs. I want a more equitable society. I don't mind paying higher taxes. ... I do think we're our brother's keeper but I think that attacking that which creates all things, is not the right way to go about it.[35]
After Obama won the 2008 presidential election, there was speculation that Dimon would serve in the Obama Administration as Secretary of the Treasury. Obama eventually named the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Timothy Geithner, to the position.[36]
Following the acquisition of Washington Mutual by JPMorgan Chase, Obama commented on Dimon's handling of the real-estate crash, credit crisis, and the banking collapse affecting corporations nationwide, including major financial institutions like Bank of America, Citibank, and Wachovia (now Wells Fargo).
You know, keep in mind, though there are a lot of banks that are actually pretty well managed, JPMorgan being a good example, Jamie Dimon, the CEO there, I don't think should be punished for doing a pretty good job managing an enormous portfolio.[37]
Dimon is influential in the Obama White House with close ties to some there, including former Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.[38] Dimon is one of three CEOs—along with Lloyd Blankfein and Vikram Pandit—said by the Associated Press to have liberal access to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.[39][40] Nonetheless, Dimon has often publicly disagreed with some of Obama's policies.[41]
On the May 15, 2012, episode of ABC's The View, Obama responded to a question from Whoopi Goldberg regarding JPMorgan Chase's recently publicized $2 billion trading losses by defending Dimon against allegations of irresponsibility, saying, "first of all, JP Morgan is one of the best managed banks there is. Jamie Dimon, the head of it, is one of the smartest bankers we've got", but added, "it's going to be investigated".[42]

Jamie Dimon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So is he close to the Obama admin or is he a harsh critic?

Doesn't matter. When Eric Holder states that Justice Department can't do anything about some of the issues with JPM, that is all you need to know.

$20 Billion in fines seems like the Justice Dept is doing something about the "issues"

$20 Billion in fines seems like the Justice Dept is doing something about the "issues"

He should be fired at the very least... jailed at the most.

Is that how justice in America works? Just pay a fine and let everybody else suffer the consequences while I make a Fulmer-esque Brinks haul?

Dimon only made $11 million last year. Down from $18 Million the previous year.

Meanwhile Sandra Bullock made $70 Million and counting for Gravity and Deron Williams made $16 Million to average 14 ppg

Dimon only made $11 million last year. Down from $18 Million the previous year.

Meanwhile Sandra Bullock made $70 Million and counting for Gravity and Deron Williams made $16 Million to average 14 ppg

Did Deron Williams or Sandra Bullock have to pay $20 billion in fines over the last 2 years or have Federal investigations looming around them? Are you serious?

VN Store

Back