Pope Francis: Catholic Church must focus beyond "small-minded rules"

Velo Vol

Internets Expert
Church not too big to fail:

‘‘The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently,’’ Francis said. ‘‘We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.’’

The political angle:

The admonition is likely to have sharp reverberations in the United States, where some bishops have already publicly voiced dismay that Francis hasn’t hammered home church teaching on abortion, contraception and homosexuality — areas of the culture wars where U.S. bishops often put themselves on the front lines. U.S. bishops were also behind Benedict’s crackdown on American nuns, who were accused of letting doctrine take a backseat to their social justice work caring for the poor — precisely the priority that Francis is endorsing.

I'm surprised the pope is so blunt about these wedge issues.

These are the kinds of people we need running the world. Fervent in their beliefs but not zealous or ignorant to others or their own faults.

I like the Pope challenging our beliefs, but Ive never heard the word gay in any homily and abortion only a handful of times

I liked his line about people wanting pastors, not people just being bureaucrats of the Church.

I liked his line about people wanting pastors, not people just being bureaucrats of the Church.

This. Pope Francis has been trying to change what peoples perception of a priest is. Which is something that the church has needed in a long time.

I like this guy.

But I'm really starting to wonder when the other shoe will drop. He pretty much has to do, say or condemn something to balance all this out.

Declaring that green apple skittles are evil or something.

Reactions: 1 person
I like this guy.

But I'm really starting to wonder when the other shoe will drop. He pretty much has to do, say or condemn something to balance all this out.

Declaring that green apple skittles are evil or something.

How dare you.

Yellow starbursts and the banana runts must go first.

Reactions: 1 person
Pope attacks tyranny of markets, urges renewal in key document | Reuters

Pope Francis called for renewal of the Roman Catholic Church and attacked unfettered capitalism as "a new tyranny", urging global leaders to fight poverty and growing inequality in the first major work he has authored alone as pontiff.
. . .
In it, Francis went further than previous comments criticising the global economic system, attacking the "idolatry of money" and beseeching politicians to guarantee all citizens "dignified work, education and healthcare".

He also called on rich people to share their wealth. "Just as the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say 'thou shalt not' to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills," Francis wrote in the document issued on Tuesday.
. . .
"As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world's problems or, for that matter, to any problems," he wrote.

Denying this was simple populism, he called for action "beyond a simple welfare mentality" and added: "I beg the Lord to grant us more politicians who are genuinely disturbed by the state of society, the people, the lives of the poor."

I'm beginning to think that this guy gets it.

The Pope getting it?...

Edited...will wait until I've read more than blurbs.

Last edited:
So correct me if I'm wrong. He doesn't outright say it, but he urges politicians to do something, while at the same time saying the rich should give more. Is this just a roundabout way of calling for more wealth redistribution? And somewhere in there, he also suggests that this somehow called for in the Bible. I guess my beef is with the political overtones. I don't believe it's in any way in the Christian doctrine to use the government to collect taxes and provide to the poor. My knowledge of the Bible is thin, but tax collectors were painted as corrupt thieves.

I just don't agree him. I feel for the poor, but government induced charity is like flushing cash down the toilet, or worse, just another part of the political cronyism that leaves politicians and Washington rich.

VN Store

Back