Aljazeera America News Network

Gramps

Al Gore's Current TV was sold to Aljazeera. Today is the first time I have watched. No impression yet good or bad.

Has anyone watched this network?

What are your thoughts about Aljazeera owning an American Network?

I only heard through Fox News that they were good reporting on world news. If that's the case, I'd watch them before I'd watch any of the big 3 MSM networks for news. But it's not on my Charter package of TV networks to watch.

Reactions: 1 person
haven't watched though I have seen commercials for it. Heard it got off to a rocky start with some questionable story or reporting but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. God knows that no particular news outlet is telling you the whole story.

haven't watched though I have seen commercials for it. Heard it got off to a rocky start with some questionable story or reporting but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Allah knows that no particular news outlet is telling you the whole story.

Fixed it for you

Reactions: 2 people
I watched a little Aljazeera English when it was online. Don't get it on cable. Do they charge providers per subscriber? I don't imagine it would be very much if they do.

haven't watched though I have seen commercials for it. Heard it got off to a rocky start with some questionable story or reporting but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. God knows that no particular news outlet is telling you the whole story.

I checked it out one day last week for 10-15 minutes. Wasn't news, but a show on rich chinese and the changing culture, business owners in the chinese govt, less communist ideals, ect. I did notice they wouldn't use dollars as a currency. They were talking about how much US congressman( in comparison with Chinese govt) are worth in euros. Far less than their chinese counterparts actually.

Heard on the radio yesterday that their prime time news program averaged 27,000 viewers the first week.

I bet Cosby show re-runs at 330am get more viewers than that.

I'm sure it will go up over time though. But my reasoning is every news org is going to be slanted. Nobody wants to watch someone that you know is already going to be taking shots at you. As divided as Democrats and Republicans are, I imagine both sides dislike Middle Eastern news.

Careful Al, you know how those ISIS types will settle a score. You'll be missing a head regardless of how the lawsuit settles.

AJ is a very good news network. If you want the news unwashed of partisan agenda - watch AJ.

I watched a little Aljazeera English when it was online. Don't get it on cable. Do they charge providers per subscriber? I don't imagine it would be very much if they do.

Understand that most of their revenue comes from advertising. Only vests, but both bullet proof and suicide.

AJ is a very good news network. If you want the news unwashed of partisan agenda - watch AJ.

It's a little biased against America, but, generally speaking, yes, you are right. It's a quality news source, despite the bad rep it gets, particularly on here.

Reactions: 4 people
It's a little biased against America, but, generally speaking, yes, you are right. It's a quality news source, despite the bad rep it gets, particularly on here.

I mentioned AJ to my folks a while back and they balked. They couldn't get past the name, assumed it was a liberal terrorist news network.

:furious3:

I mentioned AJ to my folks a while back and they balked. They couldn't get past the name, assumed it was a liberal terrorist news network.

:furious3:

They do have a pretty decent anti-US bias. But it is useful for the "other" perspective.

I just wonder if anyone every quickly flipped the channel because they got scared of the Muslims on the TV?

They do have a pretty decent anti-US bias. But it is useful for the "other" perspective.

I just wonder if anyone every quickly flipped the channel because they got scared of the Muslims on the TV?

I think the anti-US vibe is somewhat healthy for honest reporting.

I think the anti-US vibe is somewhat healthy for honest reporting.

Which is why I included "useful" as the second sentence.

I'll use them from time to time for Middle East and North Africa stuff since folks will open up to them a lot more than Fox, Sky or CNN. For the US stuff, they really aren't that good and tend to say the same things as most of the mainstream media.

I enjoyed the young Turks on current so was sad to see it go don't really have a strong opinion on Aljazeera
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't see the Anti - US bias on AJ. I just think that American's are conditioned to believe that our sh|t don't stink and when when we're not lavished with praise - we take offense, even if it's on a subconscious level.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see the Anti - US bias on AJ. I just think that American's are conditioned to believe that our sh|t don't stink and when when we're not lavished with praise - we take offense, even if it's on a subconscious level.

They've gotten better, but the reporting during the OIF timeframe was extremely biased against the US. Even when it wasn't something we were doing, we we wrong.

As a general rule I'd say bias becomes harder and harder to spot the more the source aligns with our own views. News cannot be unbiased - it is a matter of degrees.

VN Store

Back