US drone strikes in Yemen

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Drone strikes kill militants in Yemen, Americans urged to leave - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A pair of suspected U.S. drone strikes killed four al Qaeda militants in Yemen as the United States maintained a heightened security alert in the country and urged all Americans to leave immediately.

Security sources told CNN about the strikes but didn't offer additional details. A Yemeni official said four drone strikes have been carried out in the past 10 days.

None of those killed on Tuesday were among the 25 names on the country's most-wanted list, security officials said.

Reactions: 1 person
I heard on the news this morning that All US citizens need to leave Yemen.

Why are we in that country at all? We need to quit doing the dirty work and let the governments over deal with their issues.

We have to keep the shipping lanes open.

But would it not make more sense to quit using drone strikes there (which clearly does very little in dismantling their networks) and to just tell their government that they are to protect the shipping lanes, especially since we already give them financial aid?

But would it not make more sense to quit using drone strikes there (which clearly does very little in dismantling their networks) and to just tell their government that they are to protect the shipping lanes, especially since we already give them financial aid?

The drone strikes, when done right, have more effect than most realize.

If they could or wanted to keep the shipping lanes open, then we would let them. But, they've proven incapable or not interested in doing so, which means if we want goods and resources to flow through the Suez Canal we need to stay in the area and maintain a relationship with the countries in the region.

If they could or wanted to keep the shipping lanes open, then we would let them. But, they've proven incapable or not interested in doing so, which means if we want goods and resources to flow through the Suez Canal we need to stay in the area and maintain a relationship with the countries in the region.

So they (just like Pakistan) take our money in exchange for the ability to bomb them? That just doesn't seem to be a real solution to the situation. And I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see how this doesn't cause more problems for us in the long term.

So they (just like Pakistan) take our money in exchange for the ability to bomb them? That just doesn't seem to be a real solution to the situation. And I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see how this doesn't cause more problems for us in the long term.

The "leaders" of ME countries do not and will not, for the most part, fire at each other. Iran as a country, is an exception. They would rather sit back, maintain plausible deniability, and let us do their dirty work. I agree with Dave, let them police their own houses. We can keep the shipping lanes open without drone strikes.

The "leaders" of ME countries do not and will not, for the most part, fire at each other. Iran as a country, is an exception. They would rather sit back, maintain plausible deniability, and let us do their dirty work. I agree with Dave, let them police their own houses. We can keep the shipping lanes open without drone strikes.

Drone strikes and shipping lanes are separate issues. We are there to keep the lanes open. We use drones against AQ wherever they are.

Where is the anti-war left? This is getting f-ing ridiculous!

We are going to be so broke we won't be able to afford a respectable national defense, and then all hell is going to break loose.

Reactions: 2 people

We are going to be so broke we won't be able to afford a respectable national defense, and then all hell is going to break loose.

turns out they were anti-Bush/GOP and not war

Reactions: 3 people

Their heads are up Barry's ass

Reactions: 2 people

asked this question to a liberal friend of mine. I pointed out specifically the absence of Ramsey Clark and Noam Chomsky (who has called Obama a "war criminal" but hasn't gone beyond that). His response? They're getting to old to protest.

the anti-war left that was around during Bush has moved on to being the anti-capitalist left that hoists up Wal Mart and the Koch brothers as the greatest evils of our time

Reactions: 1 person
Suspected US drone kills 6 militants in Yemen

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A suspected U.S. drone strike in Yemen killed six alleged al-Qaida militants Thursday in one of the group's former strongholds in a central province, a military official said.

The strike — the sixth by a U.S. drone over the past 10 days — came as Yemen remained on high alert following threats of a terror attack targeting Western and Yemeni government interests.

So far, about 29 suspected militants have been killed by unmanned U.S. aircraft in an apparent stepped-up drone war in Yemen. While the United States acknowledges its drone program in Yemen, it does not confirm individual strikes or release information on how many have been carried out.

and the killing continues

Yemen Drone Strikes Bring New Round Of Terror To Embattled Country

However, as the week progressed, signs of terror did not take the form of an attack by al Qaeda of the Arabian Peninsula, an increasingly powerful franchise of the feared terrorist organization, but instead, as Haykal Bafana, a Sanaa-based Yemeni lawyer, put it recently, of an "orgy of drones."

Over the past 10 days, at least nine American drone strikes have been conducted across the country's remote provinces, most recently on Saturday evening. At least 36 people, all of them immediately deemed "suspected militants" by the Yemeni government, were killed, according to wire service counts. On Thursday alone, there were three drone attacks, an unprecedented rate; Saturday's was the fifth in 72 hours.

VN Store

Back