IRS admits to targeting Conservative groups

Well, no kidding? Well just how about that!! Shocking to say the least of our transparent government which is at work like clockwork.

Reactions: 2 people
Text of article does not match headline.

How so? Considering the source, I was skeptical at first, too. It appears however, that at least someone in the IRS was targeting these groups.

They're not the only source reporting this, either. All the conservative journals and blogs are running it. Of course, the liberal ones aren't going to. At least they aren't going to put the same spin on it, but it seems like there was something to it.

Where is the original quote from the IRS? It's kinda suspicious, in my opinion, that they left it out as far as I can tell, and only paraphrased.

1) Article says "IRS" was doing this, in effort to imply it was large scale and systematic, and in effort of course to attribute it to the "administration."

2) The IRS did not apologize for the examination of these outfits. Rather, the IRS apologized for the requests for donor lists, which is against policy.

3) The reason these groups got closer examination is because, if certain buzzwords appeared in their title, there was concern that they were fraudulently raising money and claiming tax exempt status.

The rest of it is just Tea Party groups complaining about what they perceive to be heavy handedness by the IRS, but that is not surprising given what the Tea Party activists have always had to say about the IRS.

This is another fake controversy ginned up by the far right.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between LG's post and what is being reported in the OP's link, as usual.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between LG's post and what is being reported in the OP's link, as usual.

I am really not surprised that there might have been a lot of fraud going on with people launching fake websites and attending rallies trying to "raise money for the cause" by invoking the phrase "Tea Party" and making it seem like they were part of the larger network.

Not that they'd welcome it, but the flip side that the real TP organizations might want to consider before jumping all over this is that ensuring the fundraising is legitimate weeds out people trying to just take advantage of the movement to make a few bucks.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course you have to target Conservatives, how else would the government get money? It ain't coming from Obama voters.

Reactions: 11 people
IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups

In some cases, groups were asked for their list of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

"That was wrong. That was absolutely incorrect, it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. That's not how we go about selecting cases for further review," Lerner said at a conference sponsored by the American Bar Association.

"The IRS would like to apologize for that," she added.

Lois Lerner - heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups

I am really not surprised that there might have been a lot of fraud going on with people launching fake websites and attending rallies trying to "raise money for the cause" by invoking the phrase "Tea Party" and making it seem like they were part of the larger network.

Not that they'd welcome it, but the flip side that the real TP organizations might want to consider before jumping all over this is that ensuring the fundraising is legitimate weeds out people trying to just take advantage of the movement to make a few bucks.

Clearly. Only nutty left wing loons would launch fake websites and commit fraud.

Great point.

Clearly. Only nutty left wing loons would launch fake websites and commit fraud.

Great point.

It happens anytime there is some sort of fad that can generate money. Can be religious, politics, whatever.

Down here, they busted up an organization that was running "internet cafes" to raise money for veterans. Generated over $100 million, but turns out less than one percent of the money was going to the veterans. There are plenty of stories of outfits mimicking legit fundraising efforts and pocketing the money.

It happens anytime there is some sort of fad that can generate money. Can be religious, politics, whatever.

Down here, they busted up an organization that was running "internet cafes" to raise money for veterans. Generated over $100 million, but turns out less than one percent of the money was going to the veterans. There are plenty of stories of outfits mimicking legit fundraising efforts and pocketing the money.

cool-story-bro-pl-ffffff-14

Reactions: 3 people
This is just stupid government right here. Targeting conservative groups by the IRS is a bunch of BS by this administration & goes to show that Obama & his cronies of thugs needs to GTFO of Office of President. Why not target some of those far-left loony media outlets like Media Matters? How about those at the Huffington Post?

Whatever side you fall on, this should scare you when it comes to the corruptness more than anything that has broke over the last few years. People do not understand how big of a deal this is.

Whatever side you fall on, this should scare you when it comes to the corruptness more than anything that has broke over the last few years. People do not understand how big of a deal this is.

People will not understand because they will not be told and it will be all passed off as partisan hackery.

Ex. LG's response in this thread.

People will not understand because they will not be told and it will be all passed off as partisan hackery.

Ex. LG's response in this thread.

Agree. When the IRS is intimidating or targeting anyone based on something besides tax law then something has to be done and people better be asking questions and finding answers especially considering the power they have. And you know it doesn't stop at 501C4's, it had to go further than that.

Agree. When the IRS is intimidating or targeting anyone based on something besides tax law then something has to be done and people better be asking questions and finding answers especially considering the power they have. And you know it doesn't stop at 501C4's, it had to go further than that.

Yep, I fully believe in part some of the Pilot situation has to do with politics.

Because this would never happen if a republican was in office :sarcasm:. Politicians and their parties do anything to win by any means possible. This isn't surprising honestly. Oh but I forgot democrats don't pay taxes though har har har........

VN Store

Back