Battle of Athens, 1946

It's an amazing story a great reminder that government will push people around unless they take a stand.

It's an amazing story a great reminder that government will push people around unless they take a stand.

I hate to say it but I honestly believe that same group of people today would get a visit from a squadron of drones before they ever had a chance to flip their headlights on....

Reactions: 1 person
I've never heard of this but I will get a book on this topic. Perfect example of govt tyranny...exposed.... and extinguished of by the people. And not just any people.....Tennesseans.

I never heard this part of TN history being taught in school. This youtube video reminds me of the old "Walking Tall" movie that came out in 1973. In that movie, Joe Don Baker was playing the part of Buford Pusser who later became sheriff of McNairy Co,TN. I remember, as a teenager, seeing the write up in the paper about the part where Buford's wife was shot dead in an ambush. If you never saw this movie you might want to. Joe Don Baker kicks some ass in the movie.

I never heard this part of TN history being taught in school. This youtube video reminds me of the old "Walking Tall" movie that came out in 1973. In that movie, Joe Don Baker was playing the part of Buford Pusser who later became sheriff of McNairy Co,TN. I remember, as a teenager, seeing the write up in the paper about the part where Buford's wife was shot dead in an ambush. If you never saw this movie you might want to. Joe Don Baker kicks some ass in the movie.

I dated a girl in college whose dad went to school with Pusser. He said he was a good man, but had no problem letting his fists do his talking. I still remember hearing the news if his death on the radio ....

I dated a girl in college whose dad went to school with Pusser. He said he was a good man, but had no problem letting his fists do his talking. I still remember hearing the news if his death on the radio ....

The company I was working for in Jackson sent me to pick up supplies & I had to drive through Selmer to Tupelo,MS. On my way back through Selmer, I saw Buford stopped at a red light across from me in town. This was after the first movie that came out & made him a star. As we passed by each other, you could tell by his face w/all the scars he had, that he went through some big & rough fights with others. I understand that he was like 6'7" & 290 lbs & carried a baseball bat when he first started out to clean the mess up in that County. I also remember some co-workers went down to Henderson, TN., where the movie was filmed, to be in that first movie as extras.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
That was very interesting. Never have heard of this story.

Have you ever gotten around to see the movie "Walking Tall" starring Joe Don Baker that was released in 1973? The movie was so violent, in that it was depicted to show that time period of corruption (1960's), that Joe Don Baker said hell no to making the two other movies that followed. The Buford Pusser Museum is located in Adamsville,TN. where he's from.

Buford was/is a distant family member of mine. He was one tough sob.

Crooked as a dogs hind leg too.

Don't know about the crooked part.....in the movie the whore that was his informant on things that were going on.....I heard that in real life he was having an affair with behind his wife's back.

Last edited:
Don't know about the crooked part.....in the movie the whore that was his informant on things that were going on.....I heard that in real life he was having an affair with behind his wife's back.

I know several people that have lived around there for ever. All say the same thing, he busted the bootleggers and gambling joints that didn't pay him.

I know several people that have lived around there for ever. All say the same thing, he busted the bootleggers and gambling joints that didn't pay him.

Wow....so he became one of them corrupt dudes to pay for play? His death has not been solved to this day that I can remember. In the 3rd movie it's shown that someone cut his brake line to his corvette at the county fair. On his way home, he lost control of the corvette & it crashed and burned killing Pusser. Still, that first movie is really, really good entertainment. That 2nd movie shows a lot of Jackson,TN.

Wow....so he became one of them corrupt dudes to pay for play? His death has not been solved to this day that I can remember. In the 3rd movie it's shown that someone cut his brake line to his corvette at the county fair. On his way home, he lost control of the corvette & it crashed and burned killing Pusser. Still, that first movie is really, really good entertainment. That 2nd movie shows a lot of Jackson,TN.

I don't think he "became" corrupt, he always was.

Corrupt is a variable term in that part of the state.

I haved lived in Athens all my life and it still gets talked about. I believe corruption was in all of TN for a very long time and continues in some counties today. My dad and his friends used to talk about getting a pint of liquor or shine for each vote they cast from the candidate they voted for.

Now the Pusser movies are some of my favorites,I can watch them anytime. Good stuff.

Reactions: StarRaider
I haved lived in Athens all my life and it still gets talked about. I believe corruption was in all of TN for a very long time and continues in some counties today. My dad and his friends used to talk about getting a pint of liquor or shine for each vote they cast from the candidate they voted for.

Now the Pusser movies are some of my favorites,I can watch them anytime. Good stuff.

Cocke County is still very corrupt and very dangerous.

Reactions: 1 person
Cocke County is still very corrupt and very dangerous.

That's one of the places I heard about that's still corrupt. I knew a couple of guys who used to go cockfight up there. Other people have said stuff too. It's a he** of a place.

VN Store

Back