3081 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Off Shore Banks Indicted. within the forum Politics. Save the rich! 3 Swiss bankers charged in offshore account case - Business on NBCNews.com ...

Go Back   VolNation > Off Topic Forums > Politics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Off Shore Banks Indicted

Save the rich!

3 Swiss bankers charged in offshore account case - Business on NBCNews.com
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Save the rich? God this phrase is getting old.

The only difference between liberals and everyone else is that liberals insist on "the rich" paying "their fair share" while everybody else just wants to be fair (equal) across the board.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT_VOL View Post
Save the rich? God this phrase is getting old.

The only difference between liberals and everyone else is that liberals insist on "the rich" paying "their fair share" while everybody else just wants to be fair (equal) across the board.

Unless the tax system is changed as sickening as it is to say the liberals are actually correct. We have a progressive tax system the more one makes the more one pays.
It is not right but it is our system. We desperately need to go to some type of a flat or fair tax.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
5 star member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Unless the tax system is changed as sickening as it is to say the liberals are actually correct. We have a progressive tax system the more one makes the more one pays.
It is not right but it is our system. We desperately need to go to some type of a flat or fair tax.
That would require removing all the crooks from Washington.. Would be a big job..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a lot of agreement here. I agree a flat or fair tax is the way to go. However, the reality is when the top 1% or so control the vast majority of the wealth, and the bottom vast majority have split the rest, the progressive tax system will be a reality in a democratic society. It is what it is.

This isn't an endorsement of the progressive system, like I said, the flat or fair is the way to go in my opinion, but I just don't see it as a political reality.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
How is a progressive tax system "saving the rich"?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Stir Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd970 View Post
I have a lot of agreement here. I agree a flat or fair tax is the way to go. However, the reality is when the top 1% or so control the vast majority of the wealth, and the bottom vast majority have split the rest, the progressive tax system will be a reality in a democratic society. It is what it is.

This isn't an endorsement of the progressive system, like I said, the flat or fair is the way to go in my opinion, but I just don't see it as a political reality.
The problem is, the wealth belongs to them in the first place. It isn't mine to take via taxes, extortion, or any other thing that this administration has tried.
Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, who we are might be predetermined, but the path we follow is always of our own choosing. We should never allow our fears or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny can't be changed but, it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT_VOL View Post
How is a progressive tax system "saving the rich"?
It doesn't. i never said or indicated it does.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGlen View Post
The problem is, the wealth belongs to them in the first place. It isn't mine to take via taxes, extortion, or any other thing that this administration has tried.
The progressive system has been in place under both parties. The dems may take it further with their ideology, but it will always be a political reality with both parties, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rational Thought Allowed?

Quote:
The progressive system has been in place under both parties. The dems may take it further with their ideology, but it will always be a political reality with both parties, unfortunately.
It has not even been a political reality for 100 years in the US.
"It is vain to object that life and reality are not logical. Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both." - LvM
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
It doesn't. i never said or indicated it does.
Ok. You're going to have to tell me what you meant by your post.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealUT View Post
It has not even been a political reality for 100 years in the US.
It is now, and for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rational Thought Allowed?

Quote:
It is now, and for the foreseeable future.
That might be true; it might be false. The institution of progressive income tax in America is certainly not immutable or inviolable.
"It is vain to object that life and reality are not logical. Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both." - LvM
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealUT View Post
That might be true; it might be false. The institution of progressive income tax in America is certainly not immutable or inviolable.
You're arguing just to argue. It is now, and unless significant political change occurs, it will more than likely stay this way for awhile.

I suspect it will take more people paying into the system for such change to happen.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wave yo hands in the aiya

Quote:
how does a comment like "it is not right" square with your first sentence? Help a brother out here. It being "our system" likely means it isn't right at this point. Exacerbating the problem doesn't help.
Reply With Quote TOP