Why do we keep feeding the dead horse...

I can count on one hand the number of pieces of physical mail I get in a single year that I actually need.

I ship packages pretty often with USPO. From what I remember the problem is they're funding a retirement package for future employees that are not yet born.

they could probably cut down to 3 days a week if they eliminated the spam and coupons but I doubt it would ever completely disappear. I don't need another "winning" car key, refi offer or fist full of pizza and Stanley Steamer coupons.

Junk mail is their largest revenue producer. It surpassed first class mail in 2005. They'd be hurtin' (well, hurtin' even more) if junk mail was cut back.

I ship packages pretty often with USPO. From what I remember the problem is they're funding a retirement package for future employees that are not yet born.

The problem is it's dying technology. Email, fax, text etc. has killed it. They'll never compete with UPS or FedEx on small packages. We're just delaying the inevitable, IMO.

"Too Big To Fail" comes to mind......shut the dang thing down and private companies will take over, problem solved

But if they eliminate the spam and coupons, they are eliminating what I would guess is a pretty significant chunk of their income... So that's a double edged sword, pj. They are really pushing that 'Every Door Direct Mail' service.

I had a bluray player shipped to my house via USPS this week, and my ******* mailman left it in a puddle of water on my front porch. He is a real dipwad. If we have a car parked within 20 feet of the mailbox saturday mornings, he just sits there and blows his horn for 10 minutes until we go outside and walk to his truck and get the mail.

I've watched him get his fat lazy ass out of his mail truck and walk the mail up for the cop that parks his police cruiser directly in front of the mailbox down the street... He just hates young people that aren't fat slobs like himself.

I have started a fun little game where I put the trash cans in front of the mailbox every day when we're not home, and every day I come home, and they are on the ground where he obviously ran over them. One day soon, there will be some cinder blocks in them. :devilsmoke:

Point of the story is, it's ungrateful slobs like himself that are ruining America!!!

The problem is it's dying technology. Email, fax, text etc. has killed it. They'll never compete with UPS or FedEx on small packages. We're just delaying the inevitable, IMO.

In my experience, USPS is drastically cheaper at shipping small packages.

We have a small business that ships 20-30 small packages daily.
We left UPS for FedEx Ground.
Mistake.
We went back.
Left UPS again for DHL.
Mistake.
Went back to UPS.

The small post office nearby does such a lousy job with our mail, I'm not willing to roll those dice with them.

UPS is the best, but soooo expensive. Do you get some sort of discount as a business partner with them?

What's a dollar or 2 when you KNOW your stuff's gonna get WHERE it's supposed to WHEN it's supposed to (our main problems with both FedEx and DHL).

We use UPS Worldship for small packages and, occasionally, LTL services. Good, simple software.

he just sits there and blows his horn for 10 minutes until we go outside and walk to his truck and get the mail.

I've had simmilar issues with my mailman, several times me or my wife have been home and watched him pull up to the box, deliver the mail and leave. Go out to get the mail and there is one of those slips saying package couldn't be delivered no one home. SOB never leaves his truck to ring the doorbell. Complain and get the Ah Shucks we'll look into it.

maybe the Obama administration will do for the USPS what they did for NASA, turn them into a public relations organization that also studies climate change

maybe the Obama administration will do for the USPS what they did for NASA, turn them into a public relations organization that also studies climate change

nope, union is too big, he/they will keep funding until after election

I've had simmilar issues with my mailman, several times me or my wife have been home and watched him pull up to the box, deliver the mail and leave. Go out to get the mail and there is one of those slips saying package couldn't be delivered no one home. SOB never leaves his truck to ring the doorbell. Complain and get the Ah Shucks we'll look into it.

Compare that to the UPS guy who brings packages to our side door (we put a note on our front door that asks this), puts it on something dry and if he sees us, says "Hey!"

The biggest problem is the USPS is a government organization and we all know the hardest thing for the government to do is stop something, even if it has stopped working.

the problem that UPS has is the Teamsters' Union. Hand over delivery of first class mail to them and the first thing they'll do is go on strike for increased wages due to the increased work load

I think it differs by situation

I haven't had to deal with any shipments since I moved down town, but when I was living in the northeast part of town and shipping and receiving car parts on the regular, USPS was by far the best place to work with. The UPS and FedEx guys constantly left valuable packages on the front door step on the street even though I repeatedly asked them to leave them on the side of the house. USPS was far more on point and on time.

VN Store

Back