Why the South lost the Civil War

The old-fashioned answer is still the best one. Overwhelming numbers of people and resources.

The boom of Egyptian cotton also played a big part in keeping the British from coming into the war on the side of the south. It does get very complex at points.

The old-fashioned answer is still the best one. Overwhelming numbers of people and resources.

This. Equal numbers and evenly distributed resources on both sides of the conflict would have been catastrophic for the North.

The primary problem was the lack of a strong central government. The South had resources but it was never brought to a united front.

Organization/direction. No head at the top.

Exactly, Davis had no true power. I mean simple things as as railroad gauges not being uniform in the south. The states have the right to choose.

Uniforms, there is a reason NC troops had parade ready uniforms. Problem is, NC marked up uniforms 200% to the govt in Richmond.

Reactions: 1 person
The blockade was pure propaganda

The brown water navy would be accurate

I guess I should have said the spector of the Nothern navy. However the blockade did stop southern diplomats from reaching London. Looking at southern international diplomatic relations during the war is a very interesting subject.

Myth, confederate indepedence rested soley on recognition. Lincolns political mastery with the emancipation was check and mate.

It was a nice move. Wouldn't have meant anything if he didn't have more money and troops.

Lincoln was a dictator.

VN Store

Back