2673 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Where did life begin? (Merged) Page 2. within the forum Politics. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

View Poll Results: Do you believe we have a creator, aka "God"?
Yes, I strongly believe that we have a creator, aka "God". 85 60.71%
No, I strongly believe that there was/is no creator and no "God". 22 15.71%
I have no strong belief one way or the other; I'm agnostic. 33 23.57%
Voters: 140. This poll is closed

Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Orangeslice13
can't spell/dosen't care

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
The creation theory that intellectuals may scoff at isnt any more absurd-sounding than what they believe in. They don't have any more of a clue than the rest of us

I do believe in creation.
The creation story as told in the bible is consistent with a very old earth IMO.
Lets say Volatile was writing the big bang theory down for sheep herders in Iran in terms they, who have about a 6th grade education, could understand. What would people say about the scientific validity of this writing 2000 years from now?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
lylsmorr

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
This is a topic I think about all the time and something I struggled with for a while. I do believe in a supernatural being because every natural law we have says that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed. Going back and even farther back, the one or two things that all life came from had to come from somewhere. I believe that somewhere is God. The particles that scientists have discovered now in the newer rules of matter creation, bosons/fermions/etc, had to come from somewhere.

Yes, I majored in Science, believe that evolution is a natural process and still consider myself a Christian. Nowhere in the theory of evolution is the idea of God disproven.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
OrangeEmpire
The White Debonair

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Good topic, like the old days.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Danl
Absinthe Minded

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydell View Post
OK, I gotta ask. Where did God come from?
The same place all deities came from.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Slydell
Pancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danl View Post
The same place all deities came from.
Now that settles it. I can now go forward.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
Orangeslice13
can't spell/dosen't care

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTradition View Post
I think of it more as the domino theory. God created the universe and set the initial conditions. Then He knocked over the first domino and everything from there fell the way it had been laid out. There were no mistakes, there were incremental steps. Once man appeared, the last domino of creation had fallen. Now the mechanistic process was over with the entrance of free will.
Yorkvol, I did not mean to skip you. I just felt this was a pretty good answer of how I feel. I will say I do not believe every animal evolved from a common ancestor. Genesis says all were created unique. they reproduce after their own kind and now God is at rest. To me that says God stopped creating at some point.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
Orangeslice13
can't spell/dosen't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydell View Post
OK, I gotta ask. Where did God come from?
I struggle with This as well. G-d just is and always has been. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that. It's no different than in science Where the new school of though is energy always has been. The big bang is just the most recipient big bang. The theory goes on to say at some point all will collapse and bag out again.

Apparently with both G-d and science there was no beginning.

Last edited by Orangeslice13; 12-29-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Slydell
Pancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeslice13 View Post
I struggle with This as well. GOD just is and always has been. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that. It's no different than in science Where the new school of though is energy always has been. The big bang is just the most recipient big bang. The theory goes on to say at some point all will collapse and bag out again.

Apparently with both God and science there was no beginning.
See, that would be my struggle. There has to be something but there can't be. There can't be anything but there is.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
GoBigOrangeUT

Two prevailing theories in the science world are that A) life began merely by coincidence, in that after millions and millions of years, the right ingredients came together in a primordial soup. The odds of this happening are astronomical, but by the sheer number of years that passed, it is possible and B) life was brought here by an asteroid or comet. I tend to agree with this theory.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
txbo

There is no viable scientific theory that can explain the need for sexual reproduction.

That just leaves creation.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
GoBigOrangeUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbo View Post
There is no viable scientific theory that can explain the need for sexual reproduction.

That just leaves creation.
Evolution and the survival of the fittest explains it perfectly. Species adapt, and life figured out that in order to survive, you have to procreate.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Georgia Peach
Resist much, obey little.

Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged) Where did life begin? (Merged)
Heavy subject. I think that everything evolves through a natural process. Perhaps we started as micro organisms and over time developed into different species depending on environment and needs. Rationality and logic would suggest that there is a starting point and it would need to be something that could be proven. I struggle with this subject sometimes as I think many do. I was recently reading about why humans have hope and I guess you could apply this to faith as well but basically from a scientific standpoint it is a survival technique. I dont believe in a god that controls our destiny. I believe that if there is a god that nature is the closest thing we have to it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
txbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigOrangeUT View Post
Evolution and the survival of the fittest explains it perfectly. Species adapt, and life figured out that in order to survive, you have to procreate.
No, those theories don't begin to address sexual reproduction. Additionally, they suggest that life forms should still be contributing to human existence without sexual reproduction.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #29
GoBigOrangeUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbo View Post
No, those theories don't begin to address sexual reproduction. Additionally, they suggest that life forms should still be contributing to human existence without sexual reproduction.
I don't follow...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
golfballs
мячи для гольфа

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeslice13 View Post
The creation story as told in the bible is consistent with a very old earth IMO.
Lets say Volatile was writing the big bang theory down for sheep herders in Iran in terms they, who have about a 6th grade education, could understand. What would people say about the scientific validity of this writing 2000 years from now?
The big bang theory has been tossed aside by most scientists
Reply With Quote TOP