3099 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Nelson Mandela: Good Man or Terrorist?. within the forum Politics. I've been debating this issue for awhile now and what to hear your opinions. On one hand he helped bring ...

Go Back   VolNation > Off Topic Forums > Politics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Some Where on Penny Lane
 
Burhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton, TN
Posts: 14,157
Likes: 2,396
Nelson Mandela: Good Man or Terrorist?

I've been debating this issue for awhile now and what to hear your opinions. On one hand he helped bring about the end of apartheid in South Africa, but on the other, he did lead an organization that carried out bombings and other acts of terror.

I ask because almost everyone I talk to thinks he is some sort of hero but I'm really not sure if they really know what he did for a time.
Burhead is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rational Thought Allowed?
 
therealUT's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brookside, KC
Posts: 27,455
Likes: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burhead View Post
I've been debating this issue for awhile now and what to hear your opinions. On one hand he helped bring about the end of apartheid in South Africa, but on the other, he did lead an organization that carried out bombings and other acts of terror.

I ask because almost everyone I talk to thinks he is some sort of hero but I'm really not sure if they really know what he did for a time.
Started out as a terrorist; turned into a good man.
__________________
"It is vain to object that life and reality are not logical. Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both." - LvM
therealUT is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,924
Likes: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burhead View Post
I've been debating this issue for awhile now and what to hear your opinions. On one hand he helped bring about the end of apartheid in South Africa, but on the other, he did lead an organization that carried out bombings and other acts of terror.

I ask because almost everyone I talk to thinks he is some sort of hero but I'm really not sure if they really know what he did for a time.

George Washington: good man or terrorist?
Abe Hoffman is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
I believe.
 
YorkVol's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York Pa
Posts: 14,836
Likes: 4,983
He's a good man that used terrorism to achieve his political goals which, primarily, were to remove apartheid from South Africa. Of course that was before he was jailed for 27 years, at which point he had to use his words to encourage those who were still fighting.

Does he have blood on his hands? Certainly, but given that terrorist tactics were the tactics of choice for both sides during that decades long conflict it is difficult to condemn him for using them.
YorkVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, Vici
 
PKT_VOL's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 11,623
Likes: 2,959
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
PKT_VOL is offline  
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Today is a new day
 
ericpatterson1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT_VOL View Post
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
This x1000....... All in the eyes of what is socially acceptable. I imagine if it were two tribes of African decent that were what the outside world referenced as the same "race" then he just would have been labeled a terrorist trying to start a civil war. Instead, he is looked upon as a hero. No winning this debate, just a matter of opinion.
ericpatterson1 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
doo doo doo
 
volinbham's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: looking out my backdoor
Posts: 37,562
Likes: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT_VOL View Post
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Maybe I'm a terrorism purist but I generally associate terrorism with some form of civilian attack designed to provoke fear and uncertainty among the civilian population. Attacks on military personnel of a declared enemy not so much.
__________________
Few things are as enduring as a temporary government program.
volinbham is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Today is a new day
 
ericpatterson1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by volinbham View Post
Maybe I'm a terrorism purist but I generally associate terrorism with some form of civilian attack designed to provoke fear and uncertainty among the civilian population. Attacks on military personnel of a declared enemy not so much.
Not arguing, just enjoy debating.... Would you say then that the flight into the Pentagon on 9/11 was terrorism or an act of war brought by another nation?
ericpatterson1 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diaper Dandy
 
Weezy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,028
Likes: 281
I think since the 9/11 attacks involved the use of civilian flights and targets causing large numbers of civilian casualities, they were terrorism (as well as militarian since specific targets were chosen). As oppose to the Mandela led attacks which were not intended to cause civilian deaths.
Weezy is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ordem e Progresso
 
Rasputin_Vol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In the briar patch
Posts: 23,221
Likes: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealUT View Post
Started out as a socialist terrorist; remains a socialist.
fyp
__________________
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”

Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLS INC. View Post
I'm glad my destiny was to be a Vol, because everything else is second tier.
Rasputin_Vol is online now  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, Vici
 
PKT_VOL's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 11,623
Likes: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpatterson1 View Post
This x1000....... All in the eyes of what is socially acceptable. I imagine if it were two tribes of African decent that were what the outside world referenced as the same "race" then he just would have been labeled a terrorist trying to start a civil war. Instead, he is looked upon as a hero. No winning this debate, just a matter of opinion.
Yep. It is all about perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volinbham View Post
Maybe I'm a terrorism purist but I generally associate terrorism with some form of civilian attack designed to provoke fear and uncertainty among the civilian population. Attacks on military personnel of a declared enemy not so much.
I get what you are saying. However, this is a very much a western world (military) power view. We are blessed to live in a country which has a military capable of keeping us safe from threats via foreign states. Other countries and other cultures do not have that luxury. Therefore, they have to resort to other tactics to get their message across which is very taboo in our culture. I have no doubt that Americans would not hesitate to use similar tactics on foreign enemies, if we were ever to god forbid, switch places with them in terms of military capabilities and military/economic dominance by a hostile foreign country which comprises our sovereignty.

I am not trying to defend the actions of terrorists; however, I think it arrogant to dismiss their actions as purely evil and sinister because it is impossible for us to relate to them due to Americans being consumed in our own cultural bubble cut off from the rest of world's reality.
PKT_VOL is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
RIP CITY
 
milohimself's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 48,865
Likes: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealUT View Post
Started out as a terrorist; turned into a good man.
This.
__________________
milohimself is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gsvol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,180
Likes: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by volinbham View Post
Maybe I'm a terrorism purist but I generally associate terrorism with some form of civilian attack designed to provoke fear and uncertainty among the civilian population. Attacks on military personnel of a declared enemy not so much.
So bombing a restaurant, killing a couple dozen people while they are having their lunch doesn't qualify?

Mandela was definately a communist terrorist.

His ANC murdered far far more blacks while liberating them in a short while than the South African government had since the beginning of apartheid, often for the flimsiest of reasons such as being suspected of cooperating with the government.

They did it in the most gruesom many too, to maximize fear among the blacks into supporting the communist ANC, they called it necklacing and did it publicly for everyone to see.

A large portion of the media has elevated Mandela to godlike status just as many would have you believe the murderous psychopath Che Guevara is some sort of hero.
gsvol is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
doo doo doo
 
volinbham's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: looking out my backdoor
Posts: 37,562
Likes: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT_VOL View Post
Yep. It is all about perception.



I get what you are saying. However, this is a very much a western world (military) power view. We are blessed to live in a country which has a military capable of keeping us safe from threats via foreign states. Other countries and other cultures do not have that luxury. Therefore, they have to resort to other tactics to get their message across which is very taboo in our culture. I have no doubt that Americans would not hesitate to use similar tactics on foreign enemies, if we were ever to god forbid, switch places with them in terms of military capabilities and military/economic dominance by a hostile foreign country which comprises our sovereignty.

I am not trying to defend the actions of terrorists; however, I think it arrogant to dismiss their actions as purely evil and sinister because it is impossible for us to relate to them due to Americans being consumed in our own cultural bubble cut off from the rest of world's reality.
Throughout history there has been a separation between attacks on a military and attacks on civilians - I don't see that as some American cultural bias; I think it's pretty well established as warfare vs other acts of violence.
__________________
Few things are as enduring as a temporary government program.
volinbham is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rational Thought Allowed?
 
therealUT's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brookside, KC
Posts: 27,455
Likes: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsvol View Post
So bombing a restaurant, killing a couple dozen people while they are having their lunch doesn't qualify?

Mandela was definately a communist terrorist.

His ANC murdered far far more blacks while liberating them in a short while than the South African government had since the beginning of apartheid, often for the flimsiest of reasons such as being suspected of cooperating with the government.

They did it in the most gruesom many too, to maximize fear among the blacks into supporting the communist ANC, they called it necklacing and did it publicly for everyone to see.

A large portion of the media has elevated Mandela to godlike status just as many would have you believe the murderous psychopath Che Guevara is some sort of hero.
Provide the dates of the bombings you speak of; Mandela was in prison from from 1962-1990.
__________________
"It is vain to object that life and reality are not logical. Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both." - LvM
therealUT is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27