Revisiting the Iraq War

KoachKrab127

About 5,000 US troops killed.

Over 32,000 US troops wounded.

Over 100,000 innocent Iraqi citizens dead.

Over $1.5 trillion dollars spent or currently being spent (including future disability payments).

No weapons of mass destruction found.

No ties to Al Qaeda.

We now know that lies and propaganda by the president, CIA, and media lead us into the Iraq war.

Over 200 lies by Bush saying Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. 30 lies by Bush saying Iraq was linked to Al Qaeda.

Iraqi citizens celebrating as troops leave, burning American flags and holding pictures of dead friends/relatives.

Signs of Iraq and Iran becoming allies.

Iran May Be About Ready To Become Iraq's Closest Ally!

Way to go, W. Worst president ever.

Reactions: 2 people
5,000 troops died in Iraq for the interests of Israel. and now they are trying to do they same thing with Iran when there lies of nuclear weapons

5,000 troops died in Iraq for the interests of Israel. and now they are trying to do they same thing with Iran when there lies of nuclear weapons

Why should the good Jewish boy die for his country when America is willing to send it's Sons to be killed in their place?

Iraq was clearly about more than just Israel. A strategic foothold in a key region is likely a much more compelling reason (rather that be for striking at terrorism in the broader region - or more likely - resources). There was also just a smidge of a score to settle from GWB's perspective.

Was a bad decision but there's no need IMO to attach other political crap to it. For example I think it's nuts to say Bush lied about WMD - I don't believe we knew that they didn't exist. The belief was wrong but widely held.

The Iraq War was a mistake that was made inevitable after the conclusion of the Persian Gulf War and the subsequent ten years of foreign policy conducted with regard to Iraq. Everyone from Bush I through Obama shares the burden.

Over 200 lies by Bush saying Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. .

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
--Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
--Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
-Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
-- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq - U.S. Senate - FOXNews.com

Wikileaks documents show WMDs found in Iraq

Wikileaks documents show WMDs found in Iraq « Hot Air

I have always found this ignored fact to be quite humorous. The fact that they were not nuclear weapons seems to have duped people. Weapons of mass destruction include both chemical and biological weapons, in addition to the obvious; nuclear weapons.

I figure the counterpoint is that we knew of these chemical weapons long before the invasion. The case was not really made based on these weapons. We knew from the bombing of the Kurdish people that he had these weapons and was perfectly willing to use them on his own people. It was more of case for new weapons of mass destruction or at least the pursuit of those new weapons.

Was a bad decision but there's no need IMO to attach other political crap to it. For example I think it's nuts to say Bush lied about WMD - I don't believe we knew that they didn't exist. The belief was wrong but widely held.

It's nuts to say we absolutely knew they didn't exist. It's also nuts to turn a blind eye to the fact that the conclusion was made and then the supporting data was sifted out of the pieces of other, contradictory data. Information that was argued convincingly by some, but didn't fit the pre-set conclusion, was passed over for that put forth by individuals who had opinions that supported the pre-set conclusion.

After watching the movie (can't remember the name) about Valerie Plame, I really hated Scooter Libby. Granted that movie was definitely made by liberals, as it had Sean Penn in it.

After watching the movie (can't remember the name) about Valerie Plame, I really hated Scooter Libby. Granted that movie was definitely made by liberals, as it had Sean Penn in it.

Scooter Libby had nothing to do with her outing. Also, her outing didn't put her or anybody else in danger as she was doing nothing more than riding a desk in DC.

Reactions: 1 person
The nuclear part of the WMDs was a huge deception plan that Saddam used to maintain his image of strength in the region. Iran was willing to risk his use of chemicals but not nucs. He deceived the world and lost everything as a result.

Best thing we could have done is finish the task when we started it in 91.

The nuclear part of the WMDs was a huge deception plan that Saddam used to maintain his image of strength in the region. Iran was willing to risk his use of chemicals but not nucs. He deceived the world and lost everything as a result.

Best thing we could have done is finish the task when we started it in 91.

Or, have let Iraq annex Kuwait.

per wikipedia:

For the purposes of US Criminal law concerning terrorism,[28] weapons of mass destruction are defined as:

any destructive device defined as any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb, grenade, rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, mine, or device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses[29]
any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors
any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector
any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life[30]

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's definition is similar to that presented above from the terrorism statute:[31]

any explosive or incendiary device, as defined in Title 18 USC, Section 921: bomb, grenade, rocket, missile, mine, or other device with a charge of more than four ounces
any weapon designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals or their precursors
any weapon involving a disease organism
any weapon designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life
any device or weapon designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury by causing a malfunction of or destruction of an aircraft or other vehicle that carries humans or of an aircraft or other vehicle whose malfunction or destruction may cause said aircraft or other vehicle to cause death or serious bodily injury to humans who may be within range of the vector in its course of travel or the travel of its debris.

Indictments and convictions for possession and use of WMD such as truck bombs,[32] pipe bombs,[33] shoe bombs,[34] cactus needles coated with botulin toxin,[35] etc. have been obtained under 18 USC 2332a.

The Washington Post reported on 30 March 2006: "Jurors asked the judge in the death penalty trial of Zacarias Moussaoui today to define the term 'weapons of mass destruction' and were told it includes airplanes used as missiles". Moussaoui was indicted and tried for the use of airplanes as WMD.

Bolded parts by me. Let's just say that the threshold for WMDs is set pretty low.

Last edited:
Scooter Libby had nothing to do with her outing. Also, her outing didn't put her or anybody else in danger as she was doing nothing more than riding a desk in DC.

Her outing was exaggerated, I agree. However, it was purely political, and symptomatic of the arrogance and utter disregard for honor and integrity that is Dick Cheney (and his team of low level operatives).

Her outing was exaggerated, I agree. However, it was purely political, and symptomatic of the arrogance and utter disregard for honor and integrity that is Dick Cheney (and his team of low level operatives).

How do you connect this with Cheney?

Dick Armitage outed her; that was made very clear early in the investigation. Libby lied, not Cheney; and, he did so after Fitzgerald should have already wrapped up the investigation.

102921_600.jpg

It's nuts to say we absolutely knew they didn't exist. It's also nuts to turn a blind eye to the fact that the conclusion was made and then the supporting data was sifted out of the pieces of other, contradictory data. Information that was argued convincingly by some, but didn't fit the pre-set conclusion, was passed over for that put forth by individuals who had opinions that supported the pre-set conclusion.

Absolutely.

Unless what Bob Woodward and Ron Suskind reported were a complete fabrication then this is exactly what happened. I honestly believe Bush thought it was absolutely true, but the admin, led by Cheney, was big time behind the scenes cherry picking what intel to show him. The reports of CIA analysts being fired because they didn't fall in line with what the administration wanted the intel to say is completely unacceptable. They were not interested in unbiased analysis, they wanted to build a case for war.

Any WMDs in Iraq were sent to Syria and elsewhere before we entered the country.

a0gewk.jpg

Nothing like bumping a four-year-old thread with a seven-year-old link.

Anyway, Iraq was a mess before the war, and it's still a mess.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back