The "Occupy" Rallies

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
These people are so full of crap - and themselves - that it's not even funny. They are "protesting", yet they aren't actually oppressed in any way and aren't actually denouncing anything other than life being hard.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFVR9Nv43J4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I'm not posting this because of the Obama slant, I just genuinely wonder who or what is truly behind these rallies. Obviously somebody somewhere is coordinating this to some degree or at least had the idea to churn this up.

Last edited:
These people are so full of crap - and themselves - that it's not even funny. They are "protesting", yet they aren't actually oppressed in any way and aren't actually denouncing anything other than life being hard.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFVR9Nv43J4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

It makes me wonder what is behind these rallies. Obviously somebody somewhere is coordinating this to some degree or at least had the idea.

those poor georgetown and harvard students have it so rough!

those poor georgetown and harvard students have it so rough!

The best was the guy who basically said "What? No way I'm staying down here permanently for this cause. I've got to get back to class later on."

I'm not posting this because of the Obama slant, I just genuinely wonder who or what is truly behind these rallies. Obviously somebody somewhere is coordinating this to some degree or at least had the idea to churn this up.

@ 5:45, Doug asks,
"How do you induce voluntary cooperation..."

I chuckled.

And on another note, the girl with the Harvard shirt only reinforces my argument that Ivy League schools are overrated in terms of attracting and producing America's leaders.

Warm and fuzzies: I support some of the protest positions like transparency and anti-lobbying.

Cause for concern: The protesters. They're just kids that have nothing better to do and want to be part of something big. The US is too big for a protest to make an impact.

I know I'm wrong, but I like hating all protestors. I know a couple who tend to show up without knowing what the protest is.

Reactions: 1 person
To me it looks like a bunch of smelly hipsters b!itching and complaining. I mean, they camp out for weeks to b!tch about not having jobs. They could be applying for jobs instead of bumming it on the street corner for a month.

I know I'm wrong, but I like hating all protestors. I know a couple who tend to show up without knowing what the protest is.

People that are working and contributing to society, generally don't have time to go protest stuff. Usually it's a bunch of losers.

The "Doug" guy is obviously well off - upper, middle class at least. Funny how he repeats favoring forcing voluntary compliance and forcing social justice.

I would ask the Harvard chick: 1) do you work part time to defray some school costs, 2) do you live in campus housing with roomates or off campus in an apartment with one or no roomates, 3) did you consider going to a state school with considerably lower tuition, 4) did you apply for any and all scholarships potentially available.

She's concerned about the cost of going to Harvard - there are ways to avoid that.

People that are working and contributing to society, generally don't have time to go protest stuff. Usually it's a bunch of losers.

Exactly my point. The protestors I know are philosophy nerds and contribute next to nothing to society. Unless you count hot air and bristol boards.

College kids made a difference in protesting the Vietnam war and it has been romanticized in movies and music. Since then, every generation of them likes to think they can also have that kind of voice. Usually its about their own egos.

I know, because I did the same thing.

The "Doug" guy is obviously well off - upper, middle class at least. Funny how he repeats favoring forcing voluntary compliance and forcing social justice.

I would ask the Harvard chick: 1) do you work part time to defray some school costs, 2) do you live in campus housing with roomates or off campus in an apartment with one or no roomates, 3) did you consider going to a state school with considerably lower tuition, 4) did you apply for any and all scholarships potentially available.

She's concerned about the cost of going to Harvard - there are ways to avoid that.

There's also the argument in getting the best education available - which is Harvard. It's just not affordable for the middle class - student loans suuuuck.

Young people think protesting makes them important. It doesn't. Working and contributing something other then whine and cheese makes them important.

Reactions: 1 person
There's also the argument in getting the best education available - which is Harvard. It's just not affordable for the middle class - student loans suuuuck.

The best education available really depends on what field you're studying for. Harvard is just a prestigious school. Plenty of schools have better programs than Harvard. IMO, the best overall education available is at MIT.

The best education available really depends on what field you're studying for. Harvard is just a prestigious school. Plenty of schools have better programs than Harvard. IMO, the best overall education available is at MIT.

blah blah. I meant Harvard caliber schools. We agree.

University of Tennessee is a prestigious school! woot woot!

:dance2:

blah blah. I meant Harvard caliber schools. We agree.

Ivy League (Brown, Yale, Cornell, Princeton, Harvard) or just really, really good schools? The only thing Ivy League schools have over high caliber state schools is name. Tennessee, Iowa State, Illinois, UCLA, Cal, USC... they all have high caliber specialized programs.

I would respectfully disagree. Harvard is great but so are state colleges. Harvard's real value is in the reputation of the degree and the doors it opens.

As an aside, evidence of the not-so-great job Harvard is doing is when she abandones an argument when presented with facts that don't fit her view. Rather than examining the facts she runs away and continues to hold her position. Maybe she hasn't had critical thinking classes yet...

I would respectfully disagree. Harvard is great but so are state colleges. Harvard's real value is in the reputation of the degree and the doors it opens.

As an aside, evidence of the not-so-great job Harvard is doing is when she abandones an argument when presented with facts that don't fit her view. Rather than examining the facts she runs away and continues to hold her position. Maybe she hasn't had critical thinking classes yet...

So harvard is a microcosm of America.

The arrest of 700 peaceful protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge was a bit excessive, IMO.

VN Store

Back