UNSC backs no-fly zone resolution

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
BBC News - Libya: UN backs action against Colonel Gaddafi

Key points;

The UN Security Council has backed a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" short of an invasion "to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas".

Earlier reports suggested that if the resolution were passed, air attacks on Col Gaddafi's forces by the British and French air forces could begin within hours.

It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies.

Canada and Denmark have offered fighters to help enforce the resolution, also Egypt is supplying the rebels with arms and ammo.

Anyone else read about the Libyan pilot that defected, emptied his payload into Gaddafi's complex, and crashed his plane into it also?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Maybe he felt guilty for something he had already done before defecting, and didn't want to live with it. I.e., he had bombed civilians days before or something.

Maybe he felt guilty for something he had already done before defecting, and didn't want to live with it. I.e., he had bombed civilians days before or something.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's what happened. He was on a mission to bomb a city with one or two other planes when he doubled back and headed for the complex.

Yeah, didn't notice before but it's off by a little. Should be in the center of the arrow. Now you have me wondering if it's real...

There is normally a day or so notice isn't there? You'd think so anyhow.

Good point. It probably didn’t turn around because it was prohibited from landing, but because it didn’t want to get stuck in Tripoli if their airfields get bombed.

A no-fly zone over Libya??

Isn't this what Palin recomended three weeks ago??

Sort of beside the point now that tanks are attacking Benghazi, the last stronghold of Quackdaffy opponents.

Canada has already deployed F-18s to southern Europe.

Teleprompter in chief is a bit behind the curve, he has to finish his brackets on ESPN!

The russians (who abstained on the UNSC vote) had an interesting comment -- why is it okay for the leaders of Bahrain to slaughter their citizens but not for Libya. Basically questioning what they see as a U.S. double standard. A: we are allies with Bahrain.

I've got mixed feelings on this one myself. Col. Quackers is a bad actor no doubt but he was primarily attacking those that were attacking himself. AFAIK, he wasn't randomly killing citizens.

Not sure we should be militarily involved.

A no-fly zone over Libya??

Isn't this what Palin recomended three weeks ago??

Sort of beside the point now that tanks are attacking Benghazi, the last stronghold of Quackdaffy opponents.

Canada has already deployed F-18s to southern Europe.

Teleprompter in chief is a bit behind the curve, he has to finish his brackets on ESPN!

Typical short-sighted, criticize Obama no matter what, complete gibberish from you.

Anyone could see that the reason we went this route was to avoid appearing to unilaterally interfere in yet another ME country's problems. It has probably not been reported by your stone-age neanderthal news sources, but the key to this is the involvement of other Arab states.

This means that its not just the west coming in to meddle in others' affairs. This gives NATO, U.S., or other western military action the legitimacy it needs to both be successful and not act as fuel for radicals.

The russians (who abstained on the UNSC vote) had an interesting comment -- why is it okay for the leaders of Bahrain to slaughter their citizens but not for Libya. Basically questioning what they see as a U.S. double standard. A: we are allies with Bahrain.

I've got mixed feelings on this one myself. Col. Quackers is a bad actor no doubt but he was primarily attacking those that were attacking himself. AFAIK, he wasn't randomly killing citizens.

Not sure we should be militarily involved.

That is a great point that I hadn't thought about. Bahrain is randomly killing protesters and nobody is paying attention.

That is a great point that I hadn't thought about. Bahrain is randomly killing protesters and nobody is paying attention.

I don't think the world has business in either place, and should stay out of internal affairs unless something that amounts to war crimesis happening.

VN Store

Back