Tennessee bill would make following Shariah a felony

It could.

It could.

Then again, some law rebuking Sharia law needs to be on the books and need to be airtight.

I agree they just need to make sure it doesn't come off as an anti-Islam bill. The crazy ones hate us enough already we don't need to give them anymore ammunition to hate us. I don't think it's any different than laws on paligamy or animal sacrifice.

I agree they just need to make sure it doesn't come off as an anti-Islam bill. The crazy ones hate us enough already we don't need to give them anymore ammunition to hate us. I don't think it's any different than laws on paligamy or animal sacrifice.

Is it anti-islam? Is shariah law mainstream islam?

The militant, terrorist type won't mind one way or the other. That doesn't change their mission.

Maybe instead of outlawing Sharia Law, the legislature just makes sure to continue to outlaw and prosecute domestic abuse, murder, child abuse, etc.

Does the legislature understand that Sharia Law is basically equivalent to Roman Catholic Canon and Catechism? Sharia Law incorporates how to pray, how to fast, how to observe holy days, how to tithe, etc.

If this bill passes, then TN will find itself in an egregious violation of the First Amendment.

Last edited:
Maybe instead of outlying Sharia Law, the legislature just makes sure to continue to outlaw and prosecute domestic abuse, murder, child abuse, etc.

Does the legislature understand that Sharia Law is basically equivalent to Roman Catholic Canon and Catechism? Sharia Law incorporates how to pray, how to fast, how to observe holy days, how to tithe, etc.

If this bill passes, then TN will find itself in an egregious violation of the First Amendment.

Beat me to it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

My favorite quote from the article:

The bill's sponsor, Republican Sen. Bill Ketron, said the proposal exempts the peaceful practice of Islam but seeks to condemn those "who take Shariah law to the other extreme." He said it would give state and local law enforcement officials "a powerful counterterrorism tool."

Basically, he is using this law as a tool to profile; regardless, the State of Tennessee really does not need to be all that concerned about terrorists.

Basically, he is using this law as a tool to profile; regardless, the State of Tennessee really does not need to be all that concerned about terrorists.

Why not? If the terrorists were smart, they'd target everyday places like Tennessee.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Passing this law may not help.

Maybe I don't quite understand the wording of the bill. I don't see why you would need to pass a law like this to make it clear that abuse, murder, etc. won't be tolerated regardless of religious beliefs. Even if the law is only seeking to prevent the extreme parts conflicting with the laws of society, it seems like a stupid way to go about it.

Is it really needed? Aren't the very things this law is supposed to criminalize already against the law?

Waste of time, reach out to peaceful intelligent and law abiding muslims and have them speak out against those who might otherwise steer people into radical beliefs.

State's bill would make following Shariah a felony - U.S. news - msnbc.com

Interesting idea, I can see why some points (beating your wife and such) should be illegal but this could open a Pandora's box I believe.

Or maybe it would keep the lid on Pandora's box!!

There is much more to it than you bring up.

Pajamas Media Mosques Flourish in America; Churches Perish in Muslim World

(A good article worth reading.)

As Muslims prepare to erect a mega-mosque near the site of the 9/11 atrocities, it is well to reflect that the sort of tolerance, or indifference, that allows them to do so is far from reciprocated to churches in the Muslim world. I speak not of Islamist attacks against churches — such as the New Year’s Eve attack in Egypt that killed 21 Christians; or when jihadists stormed a church in Iraq, butchering over 50 Christians; or Christmas Eve attacks on churches in Nigeria and the Philippines. Nor am I referring to state-sanctioned hostility by Islamist regimes, such as Iran’s recent “round up” of Christians.

Rather, I refer to anti-church policy by Middle East governments deemed “moderate.” Consider: Kuwait just denied, without explanation, a request to build a church; so did Indonesia, forcing Christians to celebrate Christmas in a parking lot — even as a mob of 1,000 Muslims burned down two other churches. If this is the fate of churches in “moderate” Indonesia and Kuwait — the latter’s sovereignty due entirely to U.S. sacrifices in the First Gulf War — what can be expected of the rest of the Islamic world?

The best example of anti-church policy is Egypt, where the Middle East’s largest Christian minority, the Copts, lives. Even before Mubarak stepped down, “more than 1500 assaults on Copts have occurred, without any appropriate punishment given to criminals or compensation to the victims,” according to Coptic Solidarity.

Americans have been brainwashed with the idea that appeasing islam will lessen islamic extremism but the opposite is the truth, the more you give the more they demand.

Most people have their head so far up their arses they can't see sunshine for their tonsils.

Sharia law provides for the death penalty for anyone who attempts to leave islam and convert to any other religion.

The anti-blasphemy sharia law is particularly odious.

Pakistan's Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti Murdered, Christian News, The Christian Post

Assassination of Bhatti is a message to all of those who are against Pakistan’s blasphemy laws,” said Ihsanullah Ihsan, a Taliban spokesman, according to CNN.

Just last month, The Christian Post met up with Bhatti in Washington, D.C., for an interview during which he shared that he was receiving death threats for speaking against PakistanÂ’s blasphemy law. Bhatti had said that he was the No. 1 target of the Taliban after former Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, an opponent of the blasphemy law, was murdered. Taseer, .........was assassinated by his own bodyguard on Jan. 4.

Meanwhile we have a regime in Washington gone over the brink in the other direction.

Amerisrael: Insane: Obama/Clinton Want to Keep Funding Lebanese-Hezbollah Army

Hillary Clinton demonstrated willful denial and clueless comprehension of the Middle East during her testimony before the Foreign Relations Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

Clinton/Obama have ignored other expert testimony:

6a00e54f937a348833014e86791e2e970d-pi

Hitlery Clinton is a pathological liar just like her infamous husband.

"The Term 'Moderate Islam' Is Ugly And Offensive; There Is No Moderate Islam; Islam Is Islam."

Erdogan, Prime Minister of Turkey.

Does anyone recall that our current president campaigned in the African country of Kenya on behalf of a candidate who championed sharia law and when he wasn't elected riots ensued, thousands were murdered, many of them burned to death as they sought refuge in churches and hundreds of thousands were displaced and are probably still living in refugee camps??

By your own ignorant attitudes you invite the same here.

This is a good law and should be passed in Tennessee and others like it just for insurance.

Maybe instead of outlying Sharia Law, the legislature just makes sure to continue to outlaw and prosecute domestic abuse, murder, child abuse, etc.

if sharia law goes against our constitution, then it should be illegal. our government has no problem going against Christianity.

Is it really needed? Aren't the very things this law is supposed to criminalize already against the law?

Maybe I don't quite understand the wording of the bill. I don't see why you would need to pass a law like this to make it clear that abuse, murder, etc. won't be tolerated regardless of religious beliefs.

exactly my question. Why is this really needed when the laws are already on the books? I guess it's called playing to your audience

if sharia law goes against our constitution, then it should be illegal. our government has no problem going against Christianity.

Sure, there are facets of Sharia Law that are wrong and should be illegal; however, the bulk of Sharia Law defines the way in which Muslims live, pray, and celebrate holy days.

I have not and will not make the argument that everything that falls under Sharia Law should be protected. There are already laws in the US and in TN that address murder and domestic abuse. To outlaw Sharia Law, would be akin to saying that a Catholic is not allowed to cross themselves nor a Jew allowed to wear a Yamaka nor a Hindu woman be allowed to wear Bindi in public.

Sure, there are facets of Sharia Law that are wrong and should be illegal; however, the bulk of Sharia Law defines the way in which Muslims live, pray, and celebrate holy days.
Ask a believer. It is a unit, not an a la carte menu.

I have not and will not make the argument that everything that falls under Sharia Law should be protected.
You may think it can be parsed this way. However that idea is contrary to the concept of Sharia. Devotees are not offered a choice of what they want. It is a rigidly systematic theology.
There are already laws in the US and in TN that address murder and domestic abuse.
Sharia would say those laws are secondary to Allah's law. There are honor killers who have evaded capture because other Sharia adherents protected them.

To outlaw Sharia Law, would be akin to saying that a Catholic is not allowed to cross themselves nor a Jew allowed to wear a Yamaka nor a Hindu woman be allowed to wear Bindi in public.

Not unless Catholics, Jews, or Hindus begin to advocate a theocracy that either supercedes US law for a sub-population or eventually applies to the whole population.

You are making the same mistake that many make. You are viewing Islam from a western, secular, or even Christian pov. The separation of church and state are part of our paradigm. For much of Islam, they have an almost opposite view on that point. They don't view gov't as legitimate unless it is one and consistent with Islam.

exactly my question. Why is this really needed when the laws are already on the books? I guess it's called playing to your audience

If someone said they were for the Mosaic Law, your flags would fly up, right? For many flags fly up when someone says this is a "Christian Nation" though most of the time it is not used to indicate we have a "Christian theocracy".

If "Christian Nation" makes you nervous... Sharia should scare you.

neither make me nervous because neither will ever happen in my lifetime. This is just more "Muslims are evil" pandering to get votes.

There are laws in this country and if they break them they will be prosecuted. Pretty simple really and no need to duplicate efforts and waste tax dollars

Sharia would say those laws are secondary to Allah's law.

Wouldn't Sharia still say such a law banning Sharia was still secondary to Allah's law, and therefore they wouldn't follow it anyway... much like you say they wouldn't follow the current laws already on the books?

If that is the case, then we must ask why we need the law in the first place?

Either it will be followed, and you seem to think the other laws wouldn't be, or it will not be followed, in which case it is a pointless law and is merely pandering and "feel good" legislation.

Ask a believer. It is a unit, not an a la carte menu.

You may think it can be parsed this way. However that idea is contrary to the concept of Sharia. Devotees are not offered a choice of what they want. It is a rigidly systematic theology. Sharia would say those laws are secondary to Allah's law. There are honor killers who have evaded capture because other Sharia adherents protected them.

Not unless Catholics, Jews, or Hindus begin to advocate a theocracy that either supercedes US law for a sub-population or eventually applies to the whole population.

You are making the same mistake that many make. You are viewing Islam from a western, secular, or even Christian pov. The separation of church and state are part of our paradigm. For much of Islam, they have an almost opposite view on that point. They don't view gov't as legitimate unless it is one and consistent with Islam.

You are making a vast generalization that Sunni and Wahhabi fundamentalists makeup the whole of Islam.

For much of Islam, outside of the Arab states (exceptions: the UAE and Afghanistan and Pakistan), there is not a desire for Muslim Theocracy.

VN Store

Back