Just what Haiti needs...

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
'Baby Doc' Duvalier back in Haiti after long exile - Yahoo! News

At one of those camps, there was some enthusiasm for Duvalier's return.

"I don't know much about Jean-Claude Duvalier but I've heard he did good things for the country," said 34-year-old Joel Pierre. "I hope he will do good things again."

Nearby, 42-year-old Marline Joseph, living in the camp with her three kids, was also somewhat hopeful. "He's here, that's good. Now, what is he going to do for the country."

Haitians danced in the streets to celebrate the overthrow of Duvalier back in 1986, heckling the tubby, boyish tyrant as he drove to the airport and was flown into exile in France. Most Haitians hoped the rapacious strongman had left for good, closing a dark chapter of terror and repression that began under his late father, Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier in 1957.

Last edited:
Some people ask me why I don't believe in God. I should just point to Haiti. Those poor people can't catch a break. They're 100 feet underwater and don't even know which way is up.

Nothing better exemplifies the evils of neoliberalism than the story of the Haitian "Piggy Bank". Whatever happened to the Creole pig?

It's not that they can't catch a break. They caught (read, got forced at gunpoint to accept) neoliberalism.

Some people ask me why I don't believe in God. I should just point to Haiti. Those poor people can't catch a break. They're 100 feet underwater and don't even know which way is up.

Maybe their ancestors shouldn't have made that deal with the devil??

The Clinton administration consistently backed the corrupt communist Aristide who was eventually run out of town.

The Obama administration that is described by Newt as the third administration of Clinton has banned the American flag being flown above our humanitairian bases there beceause it would 'send the wrong message'.

Some twenty odd other nations fly their flag above their own bases but we don't??

It would seem there would be at least one member of the American press corps who would at least ask Barry how we would be 'sending the wrong message' to fly our own flag above our own troops but sadly there hasn't been.

I would start a new thread on the following but there seems to be some monitor who would probably stuff it into a compendium thread.

Obama's policy elsewhere in Latin America:

Pajamas Media Obama Admin Lobbying Honduras To Allow Zelaya Back In? Are You Kidding?

Behind the scenes in the Obama administration there appears to be a concerted effort to pressure the democratically elected government of President Porfirio Lobo to dismiss charges of misappropriation of government funds and falsifying documents that are pending against Zelaya. This would open the door for his return to the country, and would be certain to undermine the delicate process of reestablishing democracy and order that is currently taking place in this poor and beleaguered nation.

When Zelaya was removed from office in July of 2009, the Obama administration at first joined with leftist dictators Fidel Castro of Cuba, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, and Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua in calling for his reinstatement. The Obama White House seemed oblivious to the Honduran constitution, as well as the threat Zelaya posed to the stability of the country and the region. When the courageous Honduran people held firm to their democratic constitution and refused to yield to the pressure exerted by the U.S., the Obama administration found no way of saving face other than reversing course and backing the democratic presidential elections called for by their constitution.

After their amateurish and myopic miscalculation, which exposed the Obama State Department’s lack of experience and incompetence, one could imagine the White House would want to avoid the subject of Honduras and Zelaya altogether. That, however, does not seem to be the case, as we learn from the new chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL).

According to Ros-Lehtinen, she has received reports that the State Department is applying considerable pressure on members of the Honduran government to absolve Zelaya of his alleged crimes. In a letter earlier this month to Arturo Valenzuela, the assistant secretary of state for western hemisphere affairs, Ros-Lehtinen calls for an end to the coercion of Honduran officials by the U.S. government that is allegedly taking place:

1obamarx.jpg

VN Store

Back