U.S. military told to get ready in Korea standoff

WA_Vol

As brutal as North Korea already is to its own people, I hate to think of how brutal North Korea would be if they were losing.

As brutal as North Korea already is to its own people, I hate to think of how brutal North Korea would be if they were losing.

Without the China concerns, the would have their asses handed to them on a platter after some initial success in destroying places like Seoul and in their hidden spies doing their damage. Their currently hidden artillery would show itself and get plowed. It's initial volleys will, however, kill a bunch of people.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Without the China concerns, the would have their asses handed to them on a platter after some initial success in destroying places like Seoul and in their hidden spies doing their damage. Their currently hidden artillery would show itself and get plowed. It's initial volleys will, however, kill a bunch of people.

without China being around wouldn't it have been done years ago (like the first time we were over there)?

Is it possible to intercept long range artillery rounds, or at least some of them?

Not really. The effective defense is counter battery fire or death from the skies. The problem with artillery is that it's typically slow and triangulate well. Once they've made their positions known, we are deadly in responding.

Not really. The effective defense is counter battery fire or death from the skies. The problem with artillery is that it's typically slow and triangulate well. Once they've made their positions known, we are deadly in responding.

Not exactly true, it is possible to engage an incoming round. I do some work with the program office researching this.

Something like this....the fact that the NKPA is so efficient and moving men and supplies by foot will play to their advantage given the terrain, but I cannot see one piece of NKPA making it south of the Han river intact.

There is zero chance that they have any temporary success near the levels of the 1950 assault.

But aren't those guys about missile defense. Projectiles are a different animal, but deadly nonetheless.

It using existing missile defense technology, but it is tailored to rocket, artillery and mortar. They have proven effective in Iraq and other hotspots against mortars. I do agree, however, an artillery round is much more difficult.

Also, with missile defense you are still engaging a threat that is ballistic (like artillery, etc) when it is in it's terminal stage.

It using existing missile defense technology, but it is tailored to rocket, artillery and mortar. They have proven effective in Iraq and other hotspots against mortars. I do agree, however, an artillery round is much more difficult.
Yeah. I read after I posted, but I'm highly skeptical of something that claims to be effective against vanilla old HE rounds, especially when the charge and launch angles can be changed almost infinitely and varied with every volley.

Yeah. I read after I posted, but I'm highly skeptical of something that claims to be effective against vanilla old HE rounds, especially when the charge and launch angles can be changed almost infinitely and varied with every volley.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but nothing actually flies in a straight line but rather at angles/arcs. And every time the distance between launch and target is different, it would be a different arc. So I would say that wouldn't be an obstacle for the technology.

VN Store

Back