Tom Coughlin - Underrated?

BIG BOI 23

I would say so he beat Brady in SB twice and yes l know he didn’t end his tenure in NY on a high note

But another thing I find extremely impressive is how he took an expansion team created in 95(Jags) and literally one year later in 96 they beat the fricking Denver Broncos who as we all know went on to win back to back Super Bowls in 97 and 98 but still Elway and Sharpe say hat was the most devastating loss of their lives

Also this was another highlight of the late 90’s jags **** honestly made me feel bad for Marino lol

Jacksonville Jaguars Send Marino Into Retirement! 62-7 - YouTube

Also the players he scooped up and turned into stars

Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell were a fantastic duo at WR. Seriously Jimmy Smith is criminally underrated he was about as good as WR in the league from from 95-03 or so

For example in 2000 against the Ravens and the greatest defense of all time or one of them at least. Jimmy Smith went off!!! 15 receptions 291 yards 3 touchdowns against the eventual super bowl champs

Mark Brunell - aquired in a trade from GB turned out to very good QB in Jax made 3 or 4 pro bowls and had the jag offense rolling from jump

Tony Boselli - stud LT didn’t play at a high level for a long time and his career was rather short but he was one of the greatest LTs in the league for 3-4 years at least

Fred Taylor - my personal favorite Jag I remember when I was like 9 or 10 and I swear Fred Taylor when healthy and in his prime is one of the most exciting RBs of all time he seemed to break long td runs every week

He was 230 ran a 4.3 could cut on a dime or juke u out your shoes. He caught a ****ty rap as being fragile or injury prone but that was bull**** injuries happen if they didn’t **** he could of been one of the better backs all time even with the injuries he still ran for 1000+ in 7 of his 11 seasons

He ran hard fast and he was physical with that style injuries are gonna happen

Last edited:
Also I see Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith will be up for consideration for the HOF this year

I think Jimmy and Fred should make it in maybe not first ballot but a year or 2 later

Jimmy Smith 860 catches 12,300 yds 67 touchdowns
He totaled nine 1000+ yard seasons including 7 in a row only about 4 or 5 guys can say they’ve had more then 7 straight years with 1000+ and they are all in the HOF

Jerry rice
Marvin Harrison
Tory Holt
Cris Carter
Tim Brown

Fred Taylor
Career stats: 11,695 yards and 66 touchdowns rushing; 290 catches for 2,384 yards and eight touchdowns receiving. He ran for 613 yards and three touchdowns and caught seven passes for 70 yards and one touchdown in eight playoff games.

Why he deserves consideration: Taylor ranks 17th on the all-time rushing list, and all but three players ahead of him are already in the Hall of Fame. The ones who aren’t are Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson (both still active) and Edgerrin James (who was a finalist in 2018). Taylor was an explosive back with a rare mix of size (6-foot-1, 234 pounds), speed (4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine) and lateral quickness. He surpassed 1,000 yards seven times in his 13-year career, including a career-high 1,572 yards in 2003. there are 21 players with fewer rushing yards than Taylor already in the Hall of Fame.

damn! 6’1” 235 and ran a 4.29 at combine that boy a real deal freak!

Last edited:
Im reposting this just cuz it’s so damn impressive

For example in 2000 against the Ravens and the greatest defense of all time or one of them at least. Jimmy Smith went off!!! 15 receptions 291 yards 3 touchdowns against the eventual super bowl champs

Rod Woodson and Chris McAlister got lit da fug up

You ok bro?

Got home from work around 430 and decided to have a bit of this makers mark left from Sunday night

Nobody else to talk to so I’m on the internet trying to talk football with random tenn fans lol as a gator fan

Wtf is wrong with me I been on this site way too long lol

Last edited:
You picked the most underrated coach in NFL history

Ya I think so or close to it

I don’t know how much credit to give him for the jags turnaround last year

But if he was the one that said to sign Calais Campbell and AJ Bouye then wow another genius move

Bouye barely played in his first few years in Houston basically fighting for #4 CB spot but first year in Jax he posts 18 pass deflections 6 interceptions and makes second team all pro

Calais Campbell? While he was very good in AZ he never posted more then 9 sacks in any of his 8 years there’

First season in Jax? He makes all pro at DE and DT and wins NFL defensive player of the year

Also I’m really digging the top 3 draft picks this year

Taven Bryan
DJ Chark
Ronnie Harrison

Ya I think so or close to it

I don’t know how much credit to give him for the jags turnaround last year

But if he was the one that said to sign Calais Campbell and AJ Bouye then wow another genius move

Bouye barely played in his first few years in Houston basically fighting for #4 CB spot but first year in Jax he posts 18 pass deflections 6 interceptions and makes second team all pro

Calais Campbell? While he was very good in AZ he never posted more then 9 sacks in any of his 8 years there’

First season in Jax? He makes all pro at DE and DT and wins NFL defensive player of the year

Also I’m really digging the top 3 draft picks this year

Taven Bryan
DJ Chark
Ronnie Harrison
The mark of any good organization is knowing who you want to be/are and draft “your” guys. I know this sounds simple but you would be amazed at how much this happens. The best recent scenario I can give you is the Seattle Seahawks.

The mark of any good organization is knowing who you want to be/are and draft “your” guys. I know this sounds simple but you would be amazed at how much this happens. The best recent scenario I can give you is the Seattle Seahawks.

True but to me finding talents being wasted then turning them into stars is truly impressive

Example Jimmy Smith and AJ Bouye

Plus Calais sure he was good in AZ but first year in Jax he wins DPOY

Btw I think Taven does sell in limited min but by yr 19 Fowler n Dareus need to move on unless Fowler blows up this yr

I think the answer is obvious Bryan has monster potential

Amazing first step for a white dude and just strong af

Last edited:
Honestly his work in Jacksonville was more impressive than his work in New York. He took an expansion team to a conference title game in Year 2 and won 4 playoff games overall there.

The Super Bowl runs in New York, quite frankly, were kind of flukish. I know that sounds crazy because they went all the way twice, but Coughlin didn't win a playoff game outside of those two runs (0-3 otherwise). That 2011 team in particular was mediocre all regular season long - even had a negative point differential - but the defensive line took over in the playoffs and led them all the way. Missed the playoffs 7 times in 12 years. The 04-08 teams were much better than the 09-15 teams.

I'm not sure Coughlin is underrated, probably accurately rated. One of the more overrated coaches, IMO, is Mike Shanahan. He had two great Super Bowl runs with Elway/Davis early in his career, but not much outside of that.

Bouye was one of the best corners in the NFL his last year in Houston, and was the top corner in free agency. He didn’t come out of nowhere

Bouye was one of the best corners in the NFL his last year in Houston, and was the top corner in free agency. He didn’t come out of nowhere

That’s my mistake I don’t follow Texas but it sounds like that which was his fourth in the the league was big breakout

Damn he actually graded out as third best CB in the NFL that yr

Houston ****ed that one up

That’s my mistake I don’t follow Texas but it sounds like that which was his fourth in the the league was big breakout

Damn he actually graded out as third best CB in the NFL that yr

Houston ****ed that one up

Yeah, that year in Houston WAS out of nowhere, but as a free agent he was still a young player coming off a great year. I'm mad the Titans passed on Bouye and then gave basically Bouye's same contract to Malcolm Butler, who probably isn't as good. Coughlin/Jacksonville still had to choose the right guy, and credit to them for doing it.

Yeah, that year in Houston WAS out of nowhere, but as a free agent he was still a young player coming off a great year. I'm mad the Titans passed on Bouye and then gave basically Bouye's same contract to Malcolm Butler, who probably isn't as good. Coughlin/Jacksonville still had to choose the right guy, and credit to them for doing it.

Yep same with Calais Campbell he never reached double digit sacks in AZ he was above average but occasionally great in a game or 2

This year dude won Defensive player of the yr

But on Bouye I didn’t know u could of grabbed him this year but hey can u blame him Ramsey might already be the best in the league

From what I’ve seen he might end up in the Charles Woodson Champ Bailey category with longevity and consistency. Plus he was amazing right out the gate

As a gator i don’t like saying that **** but he’s for real

Also besides I’ve named quite few other beasts besides Ramsey why anybody on defense would wanna do play in Jax at the moment

Same reason Von is probably happy af Bradley Chubb is otw

Last edited:
But on Bouye I didn’t know u could of grabbed him this year but hey can u blame him Ramsey might already be the best in the league

I meant last year, I think we just weren't willing to offer as much money as the Jags so we signed Logan Ryan for cheaper. Then paid Butler this year when we could have just paid Bouye last year instead

Yep same with Calais Campbell he never reached double digit sacks in AZ he was above average but occasionally great in a game or 2

From what I’ve seen he might end up in the Charles Woodson Champ Bailey category with longevity and consistency. Plus he was amazing right out the gate

Also besides I’ve named quite few other beasts besides Ramsey why anybody on defense would wanna do play in Jax at the moment

He is a great corner and I don’t use that lightly. However, just like with Bouye they are both cover 3 corners so the scheme lends to them

Also, it will be interesting what he will be in 7-9 years in. Being a physical corner usually takes a toll on you mentally because of jamming, the great ones find a way.

VN Store

Back