Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are CLEARLY the 2 best QBs in the 2018 NFL Draft

Dobbs 4 Heisman

So after watching the film, combine, and pro days of the top QBs in this year's draft, I can say with pretty good confidence that Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are the 2 best QBs from this year's draft.

• Josh Allen has the best long term potential. He might not immediately be the best and might need to sit for a year behind a veteran QB to learn, but the rewards down the road with him will be the highest. The guy is literally the PERFECT quarterback from a measurements and skills perspective. He's got ELITE size, arm talent, mobility, and pretty good intangibles. I don't see how he won't be a huge success in the NFL. The issues with accuracy are a myth. That's more about the lack of talent around him than anything to do with him. In terms of accuracy, Josh Allen is more than adequate, he's solid.

• The best short term QB talent in this year's draft is Lamar Jackson. He's going to turn around a team the soonest. Remember how good Deshaun Watson was last year? Lamar Jackson is that and then some. No one in the NFL is ready for his athleticism. He'll set the league on fire next season. The only reason I wouldn't rate him over Josh Allen is durability. Now Lamar Jackson has had no durability issues to date but when running is such a big part of your game, you are bound to get hurt. And I'm not as confident in Lamar becoming a pocket passer as I am Josh Allen over the long term. Still any team that gets Lamar Jackson next year is getting a taller Michael Vick. Lamar Jackson is the only QB in this year's draft with the talent to carry an entire team on his back as a rookie. His talent is that good.

I would rate the top 5 QBs in this order:
  1. Josh Allen (Wyoming) - Top 5 grade......NFL comp: Dan Marino with mobility
  2. Lamar Jackson (Louisville) - Top 10 grade......NFL comp: taller Michael Vick
  3. Sam Darnold (USC) - Top 10 grade......NFL comp: shorter Carson Wentz
  4. Josh Rosen (UCLA) - mid-1st round grade......NFL comp: less durable Eli Manning
  5. Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) - 2nd-3rd round grade.....NFL comp: Case Keenum with better arm strength

Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Sam Darnold are true franchise QBs. Allen and Jackson have more physical gifts but Darnold is close behind. Darnold reminds me a lot of Wentz. He's just not as gifted in terms of size. But with the right pieces around him he can be an elite QB in the NFL. I think Allen, Jackson, and Darnold are in a tier of their own. Then I would put Josh Rosen in the next tier. Rosen has the ability to be a franchise QB like Allen, Jackson, and Darnold, but I question his durability. He's not mobile and he's had issues staying healthy in college. However, if he can stay healthy, he can be an Eli Manning clone in the NFL. With the right pieces around him, I can see Josh Rosen leading a team to a championship but he's not like Lamar Jackson who can raise the level of a team by himself. That is what makes Lamar Jackson unique among all these QBs.

And finally we get to Baker Mayfield. This is the guy I have the most questions about. He's short, has below average athleticism, and has played in an air raid offense where his receivers were always open. I've seen nothing in his film that shows me NFL throws or an NFL skill set. Add to that the fact he's always played with the most talent in a conference with not much in the way of defense. I just don't see Mayfield becoming a great QB in the NFL with his lack of elite NFL tools. I also have questions about his personality. He seems to be the type that is into the limelight and celebrity of the position. Like Manziel its possible this leads to him not working as hard in the classroom as he needs to in the NFL to become successful with subpar measureables.

This is a very exciting QB class. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Sam Darnold are all top 10 picks in my book. Josh Rosen is a solid mid-1st round QB. And I would only take a gamble on Baker Mayfield in Day 2. He's not a 1st rounder in my book with his lack of prototypical NFL measureables and his questionable off-field behavior.

Only read your title, knew the rest was complete BS. The best QB in this year’s draft, hands down, is Baker Mayfield. Like Deshaun Watson before him, he was the most productive QB on the biggest stages in his college career....everybody is overthinking this, trying to project guys rather than actually looking at their on-field play.....again. Mayfield will prove to be the best NFL QB from this draft class imo.

Btw, how’s Kevin Hogan’s pro career shaping up these days?

Reactions: 6 people
Only read your title, knew the rest was complete BS. The best QB in this year’s draft, hands down, is Baker Mayfield. Like Deshaun Watson before him, he was the most productive QB on the biggest stages in his college career....everybody is overthinking this, trying to project guys rather than actually looking at their on-field play.....again. Mayfield will prove to be the best NFL QB from this draft class imo.

Hogan’s no Brad Kaaya.

Didn't I tell you exactly what would happen to Deshaun Watson? He had a hot start then tore his ACL. He's injury prone like I said. Just watch him not live up to expectations this year.

You need to stop relying on college stats so much. That's how you made messed up saying Leonard Fournette was better than Alvin Kamara.

I told you Kamara was the best and Watson would get hurt. I was right. You were wrong. Live with it.

Didn't I tell you exactly what would happen to Deshaun Watson? He had a hot start then tore his ACL. He's injury prone like I said. Just watch him not live up to expectations this year.

You need to stop relying on college stats so much. That's how you made messed up saying Leonard Fournette was better than Alvin Kamara.

I told you Kamara was the best and Watson would get hurt. I was right. You were wrong. Live with it.

You also told us Brad Kaaya was a Pro Bowler and Josh Dobbs would lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl LAST YEAR.

Also that Corey Davis would easily win ROY

Wrong on all accounts

Reactions: 11 people
looks solid this year D4H -- although none of them are 'franchise' QBs imo -- just what it is for this seasons draft

Reactions: 2 people

I’ll tell you what you told me about Deshaun Watson....you said he wasn’t nearly as good a QB as Josh Dobbs....right before he took Clemson to two straight national title games while being, easily, the best player in the field both years while playing two great Alabama teams.

You also told me that Brad “freaking” Kaaya was a much better pro prospect than Deshaun Watson last year.....right before Deshaun was setting rookie passing records, out dueling Russell Wilson in Seattle, being a lock to win rookie of the year and being discussed as a legit NFL MVP candidate. Ftr. Kaaya wasn’t good enough to take a single snap last year for the Colts, who desperately needed a competent QB last year, or at least a young one who would show some promise/potential.....Kaaya wasn’t that guy.

Watson had a freak injury, the first one since his freshman year in college....he’ll be back better than ever next year....and he’ll be better than Kevin Hogan and Brad “freaking” Kaaya ever dreamed of being.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
You also told us Brad Kaaya was a Pro Bowler and Josh Dobbs would lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl LAST YEAR.

Also that Corey Davis would easily win ROY

Wrong on all accounts

I don't make my name on predicting awards. I make it based on assessing TALENT. And my record is still elite when it comes to assessing TALENT. I never said Kamara would win Rookie of the Year. But I did say he was the #1 RB in the 2017 NFL Draft and the next Marshall Faulk. And he's proven me right thus far.

Also before you start claiming I was wrong about Dobbs, Davis, and Kaaya as talents, just remember it takes QBs and WRs longer to break out in the NFL than RBs. Just look up Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers numbers as rookies. Very unimpressive. Especially Antonio Brown who got plenty of playing time.

QB and WR are positions that players break out at age 25 rather than age 22 or 23 as is the case for RBs.

I'm still standing by my assesment of Josh Dobbs, Corey Davis, and Brad Kaaya. Dobbs will be a future Hall of Fame QB. Corey Davis will be the best WR in the NFL over the next 10 years. And Brad Kaaya will be a solid Matt Ryan level QB in the NFL.

I’ll tell you what you told me about Deshaun Watson....you said he wasn’t nearly as good a QB as Josh Dobbs....right before he took Clemson to two straight national title games while being, easily, the best player in the field both years while playing two great Alabama teams.

What did Clemson do after Deshaun Watson left? In 2016 with Watson, Clemson went 14-1 and beat Alabama on a last second pass for the national championship. In 2017 with no Watson, they went 12-2 losing in the playoffs to the eventual national champions Alabama. Clemson was #1 for much of 2017 with many "experts" saying they would repeat.

Now lets look at what happened to Tennessee post-Josh Dobbs. In 2016, with Dobbs, Tennessee went 9-4 with the top offense in the SEC in terms of offensive TDs and set a school records for TDs scored. In 2017, with no Dobbs, Tennessee went 4-8 (worst record in school history) and had the worst offense in the SEC according to many metrics.

Clemson was a better program than Tennessee before Watson and after. What you saw when it came to success in college was the fact Clemson put Deshaun Watson in better position to succeed because they were the better program. Dobbs on the other hand was making a bigger difference at Tennessee than Watson did at Clemson. He was simply just at a worse program with a significantly worse coaching staff. The difference in wins and offensive production after he left are clear evidence of this.

Josh Dobbs is better than Deshaun Watson. The epic failures of Tennessee after Dobbs left and the fact Clemson stayed at the same level after Watson left are proof that Dobbs was the better player.

You also told me that Brad “freaking” Kaaya was a much better pro prospect than Deshaun Watson last year.....right before Deshaun was setting rookie passing records, out dueling Russell Wilson in Seattle, being a lock to win rookie of the year and being discussed as a legit NFL MVP candidate. Ftr. Kaaya wasn’t good enough to take a single snap last year for the Colts, who desperately needed a competent QB last year, or at least a young one who would show some promise/potential.....Kaaya wasn’t that guy.

Watson had a freak injury, the first one since his freshman year in college....he’ll be back better than ever next year....and he’ll be better than Kevin Hogan and Brad “freaking” Kaaya.

Keep falling for one year wonders. The QB position is not a sprint, it's a marathon. I also told you Deshaun Watson would be great as a rookie. Just that it wouldn't last. There's more to a QB's career than a rookie season. Look no further than RG3 and Vince Young.

In 4-5 years Brad Kaaya will be a solid starting QB while Deshaun Watson will be a shell of his rookie self after all these injuries.

Dobbs still better than all these guys put together. Amirite or Amirite?

If I had to combine the last 2 QB classes I would rank them in this order:

1. Josh Dobbs
2. Josh Allen
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Sam Darnold
5. Patrick Mahomes
6. Josh Rosen
7. Brad Kaaya
8. Mitch Trubisky
9. Deshaun Watson*
10. Baker Mayfield

*Watson is that low because of his injury prone nature. As a pure talent he would be #5 on the list after Darnold and before Mahomes.

Last edited:
I don't make my name on predicting awards. I make it based on assessing TALENT. And my record is still elite when it comes to assessing TALENT. I never said Kamara would win Rookie of the Year. But I did say he was the #1 RB in the 2017 NFL Draft and the next Marshall Faulk. And he's proven me right thus far.

Also before you start claiming I was wrong about Dobbs, Davis, and Kaaya as talents, just remember it takes QBs and WRs longer to break out in the NFL than RBs. Just look up Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers numbers as rookies. Very unimpressive. Especially Antonio Brown who got plenty of playing time.

QB and WR are positions that players break out at age 25 rather than age 22 or 23 as is the case for RBs.

I'm still standing by my assesment of Josh Dobbs, Corey Davis, and Brad Kaaya. Dobbs will be a future Hall of Fame QB. Corey Davis will be the best WR in the NFL over the next 10 years. And Brad Kaaya will be a solid Matt Ryan level QB in the NFL.

A lot of words to just tell everyone how wrong you’ve been and try to make excuses for it

Reactions: 4 people
Buffalo is run poorly like the Browns - could see them taking Mayfield

That's true. When you just broke a playoff drought that dated all the way back to 1999, it proves that its the organization that is the problem.

I doubt they'll be smart enough to take Lamar Jackson if he falls to #12. If I'm them, I'd rather keep my 5 other picks in the 1st 3 rounds and just take Lamar Jackson. He's currently not being predicted to be a top 10 pick like the other 4 QBs.

That's true. When you just broke a playoff drought that dated all the way back to 1999, it proves that its the organization that is the problem.

I doubt they'll be smart enough to take Lamar Jackson if he falls to #12. If I'm them, I'd rather keep my 5 other picks in the 1st 3 rounds and just take Lamar Jackson. He's currently not being predicted to be a top 10 pick like the other 4 QBs.

Thats the smart pick - Mayfield isnt

Top 10 grade for Lamar with this face?

4_7570565.jpg

No way. 3rd rounder at best.

Reactions: 12 people
Whoever takes Mayfield is getting the best qb out of this draft class. Not the most physically talented, but the BEST QB.

I’m a believer in Mayfield. Best thing people can do is write him off, it’s happened his whole life

VN Store

Back