Tennessee Titans, what would you do?

Titan&Volfan4life

Now that the Titans are looking for a new Head Coach who would you hire and why would that person be your pick?

We know the D is pretty good but needs to get better.

We know the O was pretty stagnant and that Mariota needs quality help to get the O to the next level.

I know we have lots of football intelligent people here on VN so I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks my friends.

VFL...GBO!!!

[twitter]https://twitter.com/MarkNagi/status/952996163858333696[/twitter]

Please don't hire Steve Wilks! I really didn't care anything about losing Sean McDermott, but losing Wilks would really be a big blow for Carolina.

Now that the Titans are looking for a new Head Coach who would you hire and why would that person be your pick?

We know the D is pretty good but needs to get better.

We know the O was pretty stagnant and that Mariota needs quality help to get the O to the next level.

I know we have lots of football intelligent people here on VN so I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks my friends.

VFL...GBO!!!

I actually think the defense is very one dimensional. Our defense couldn't stop a passing game in the 4th quarter in the last half of the season. 49ers, Cardinals, LA Rams and others.

While I prefer an offensive minded coach to lead the Titans in 2018, defense will definitely have to be addressed. Our defense was not clutch in big games. Especially when we were tied for the division with 4 games to go.

If I am the Robinson and AAS, I would make a ridiculous offer to Pete Carroll. Between the amount of money he'd save on taxes in Tennessee compared to Seattle and the schedule/division opponents, Titans would clearly be an easy upgrade for him. Also, his locker room is pretty toxic in Seattle. That would be the "hottest chick in the room" coach to go after and make them say no.

More realistic options would be Rams OC, Philly's OC, or someone like Mike McCoy (I wouldn't be crazy about, but wouldn't be opposed either).

I would also love to see if we could get Bruce Arians to reconsider retirement. I think the guy is a brilliant X's and O's coach. He never had a constant at QB in Arizona and still made some good runs there against a tougher division than the AFC south.

I actually think the defense is very one dimensional. Our defense couldn't stop a passing game in the 4th quarter in the last half of the season. 49ers, Cardinals, LA Rams and others.

While I prefer an offensive minded coach to lead the Titans in 2018, defense will definitely have to be addressed. Our defense was not clutch in big games. Especially when we were tied for the division with 4 games to go.

If I am the Robinson and AAS, I would make a ridiculous offer to Pete Carroll. Between the amount of money he'd save on taxes in Tennessee compared to Seattle and the schedule/division opponents, Titans would clearly be an easy upgrade for him. Also, his locker room is pretty toxic in Seattle. That would be the "hottest chick in the room" coach to go after and make them say no.

More realistic options would be Rams OC, Philly's OC, or someone like Mike McCoy (I wouldn't be crazy about, but wouldn't be opposed either).

I would also love to see if we could get Bruce Arians to reconsider retirement. I think the guy is a brilliant X's and O's coach. He never had a constant at QB in Arizona and still made some good runs there against a tougher division than the AFC south.

Totally agree on Carroll, but I think it's a pipe dream. Arians would be a great hire as well.

What about Mike Smith? I know he had a rough ending to his tenure in Atlanta, but he had a pretty good run there. First five seasons he went 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3 before bottoming out at 4-12 and 6-10. Not crazy to think he could have some success again.

I'm still enamored with David Shaw and Dave Toub. Was during our 2016 search too. I also like the Panthers DC.

Totally agree on Carroll, but I think it's a pipe dream. Arians would be a great hire as well.

What about Mike Smith? I know he had a rough ending to his tenure in Atlanta, but he had a pretty good run there. First five seasons he went 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3 before bottoming out at 4-12 and 6-10. Not crazy to think he could have some success again.

I'm still enamored with David Shaw and Dave Toub. Was during our 2016 search too. I also like the Panthers DC.

Ooohhhhh I forgot about David Shaw. I thought he shoulda went after the LSU job after Les got canned. I think he has an NFL future and definitely would drop every other coach if we could get him.

I'm not to high on Mike Smith. I think he has a pretty vanilla playbook and philosophy.

Ooohhhhh I forgot about David Shaw. I thought he shoulda went after the LSU job after Les got canned. I think he has an NFL future and definitely would drop every other coach if we could get him.

I'm not to high on Mike Smith. I think he has a pretty vanilla playbook and philosophy.

David Shaw reminds me of Shaka Smart at VCU. He stuck around longer than many would have thought, then he took the job e felt was perfect.

I’m not certain if that’s what Shaw is doing, but I think he could go coach at any school he wanted. I would love him at UT.

Question is though, is he a big control freak? That’s what makes the pro’s tougher. You can’t have the advantage of simply signing a billion 5-Star recruits. Also too, these are grown men, who are paid well and are not afraid to speak up like a college player would. Some coaches don’t work well like that.

I don't know that Shaw will ever coach at another university than Stanford seeing as it's his Alma Mater. Hell, I don't know that he ever leaves there period, but I think he'd be a great coach wherever he goes.

As for Smith, he's a defensive guy. He would definitely need to hire a good OC. His OC's in Atlanta were Dirk Koetter and, ironically, Mike Mularkey. I was just impressed with his first several years in Atlanta. They were garbage before he got there and then went 11-5 in year one with a rookie Matt Ryan. Definitely fizzled out those last couple of years, thanks in large part to injuries, but I always figured he'd get another shot somewhere.

Another guy I wouldn't mind at all is going after Jim Schwartz.

He had decent OC's in Detroit.

Yeah Schwartz would suck IMO. Nevermind the fact that his teams in Detroit were notoriously undisciplined, I didn't even think he was THAT good of a defensive coordinator when he was here as much as Albert Haynesworth simply being dominant.

Remember fireschwartz.com? lol

I like Vrabel I think he's going to be a good HC in the near future but I really like the idea of Matt LaFleur with all these young guys on the Titans offense.

I wish LaFleur had another year under his belt at LA to be sure but the offensive numbers the Rams put up this year was amazing. Not to mention what he did with Jared Goff this year as well as with Matt Ryan the last couple of years in Atlanta.

He's worked a long time with Sean McVay if he could do half with this Titans team what McVay did last year in LA in his first season as a HC, I'd be happy.

I have a feeling Vrabel will be a outstanding HC, he’d be at the top of my list. Crazy part is he’s only been coaching for 6 years and already being considered for NFL head coaching jobs, tells you how well thought of he is.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back