The safest helmet in football is set to make its NFL debut next season

Is this going to make a difference? I thought the problem is the the brain is crashing around inside the skull on collisions.

Reactions: 3 people
Is this going to make a difference? I thought the problem is the the brain is crashing around inside the skull on collisions.

That's what I've always heard. I mean I guess if it helps even a little it's worth it, but yeah the main problem I don't see how that can be fixed.

That's what I've always heard. I mean I guess if it helps even a little it's worth it, but yeah the main problem I don't see how that can be fixed.

Economists look at it as a problem of diminished cost. The damage of a violent collision is now less costly with modern equipment, and when you lower the cost of something, you get more of it. So yeah, a leather helmet wasn't going to protect you on a pass across the middle, but they were doing it a lot less back then (for good reason).

Guys think they've got head armor. Give them an old school leather helmet or nothing at all. Get rid of helmets and I bet head injuries drop significantly.

The main problem is the players not wearing the helmets correctly. If they wore the helmets correctly there would be less heat injuries (it even says it on the helmet). But after watching the video on how the helmets work I hope the teams bought a lot. The concept behind the helmets is absorb and displace. The helmet absorbs the impact and uses the rods inside to displace the power of the impact. I'm eager to see them in action but I doubt they'll be very durable.

Do what now?

He's going with the theory that players only sustain these concussion worthy hits via the presumption of safety the helmets and pads provide the player.

all while ignoring, offensive line play, landing on the ground and hitting your head, accidental knees and legwhips etc...

but if you want to see this game he's describing, it's called "7 on 7 drills."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctEuvAO-I3k[/youtube]

Last edited:
He's going with the theory that players only sustain these concussion worthy hits via the presumption of safety the helmets and pads provide the player.

all while ignoring, offensive line play, landing on the ground and hitting your head, accidental knees and legwhips etc...

but if you want to see this game he's describing, it's called "7 on 7 drills."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctEuvAO-I3k[/youtube]

No, I think you could still have 11 v 11 run blocking and passblocking.

I'm not advocating that they change it. I enjoy watching football and don't want them to change to leather helmets. If players want to make that money, and run the risk of serious injury, multiple concussions, or CTE that causes them to commit suicide when they're 50, then they should have that right.

I'm just saying if someone doesn't have a hardened helmet or something they think offers them protection, then they might think twice about leading with their head whether they're a db, lb, rb, or ol. Will fall head injuries or leg whip head injuries go up? Probably. Will they go up as much as contact head injuries come down? I would say no, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I'd rather people just acknowledge that playing football carries the risk of head injury and quit demonizing the NFL for it. They have a popular product and they can tweak things to increase safety, but nothing substantial will change unless they dramatically alter the product which I don't want them to do.

Last edited:
People demonize it because the NFL tried to hide the long term effects.

We've always known you could get hurt playing, even as a child. but we're not talking broken bones here. They also don't help their cause by demonizing marijuana use in favor of their "all-american" cocktails of painkillers and sponsored alcoholic beverages.

Reactions: 2 people
People demonize it because the NFL tried to hide the long term effects.

We've always known you could get hurt playing, even as a child. but we're not talking broken bones here. They also don't help their cause by demonizing marijuana use in favor of their "all-american" cocktails of painkillers and sponsored alcoholic beverages.

This.

Obviously football has always been a rough game and everyone knew going in you had a good chance of getting hurt at least a few times as long as you played. But the average player and coaches did not know about the long term effects to the brain and that's still a relatively recent finding. And the NFL most certainly worked to keep that knowledge repressed as long as possible.

VN Store

Back