Overtime Rule

Persian Vol

I should be studying.
How do you guys feel about the overtime rule of scoring a touchdown wins the game? I do think it is better than the old rule, but it still has it problems. The Patriots had 80+ snaps in regulation to Atlantas 40ish I believe? The second New England won the coin toss, you essentially knew that the Falcons Defense was gassed and just didn't have enough in the tank to stop Brady. It's a shame that the #1 offense in the league doesn't have the opportunity to even play in overtime because of a coin toss. On the flip side, if the Falcons won the toss and ended up scoring a touchdown, it would have been equally unfair for Brady to not have been able to touch the ball in overtime either. The Falcons lost for reasons much earlier than this one, but I do think that the league needs to evaluate this in the future.

It's definitely better than the old rule, but the coin toss still has too much impact. College rules are way better.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO, all they have to do is make one more change and that's each team gets at least 1 offensive possession, and after that it's sudden death.

It's better than it was but still not good enough. Heck they could even keep that for the regular season but for the playoffs make it both teams get the ball once. It's a simple change that will improve the process, so obviously it won't happen anytime soon.

I like it as it is. I know Atlanta's D was gassed last night, but sometimes that's just part of the game. In the larger picture, it's up to the defense to step up in that moment and at least hold them to 3.

If they change it to make it so both offenses have a chance regardless, they need to do away with ties.

I don't want to see college overtime rules or anything similar make their way to the NFL. It's exciting, yes, but to me it's not football.

IMO, all they have to do is make one more change and that's each team gets at least 1 offensive possession, and after that it's sudden death.

It's better than it was but still not good enough. Heck they could even keep that for the regular season but for the playoffs make it both teams get the ball once. It's a simple change that will improve the process, so obviously it won't happen anytime soon.

That's a better rule, but I would say getting the ball first is still a big advantage because the team who gets the ball first has a good chance of pinning the opponent deep.

I could get behind this.

Pretty sure that's how the current set-up was phased in over the old one.

I like it. If you can't stop a team scoring a TD, tough sledding for you. Bottom line. The Patriots went the length of the field. If they did something silly (yet exciting) like college football and start each team 25 yards from the end zone, I'd understand giving both teams a possession. At some point you have to man up and take the L.

I like it. If you can't stop a team scoring a TD, tough sledding for you. Bottom line. The Patriots went the length of the field. If they did something silly (yet exciting) like college football and start each team 25 yards from the end zone, I'd understand giving both teams a possession. At some point you have to man up and take the L.

I disagree. There are three components to football: offense, defense, special teams. All three factor into your team's greatness. If overtime is going to determine who the better team is, we should be guaranteed a chance to see all thee components of the game.

The Falcons D is their team's weakness and they were playing with a lead the whole 2nd half, so they were on the field a lot and super tired. The coin flip determined too much.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree. There are three components to football: offense, defense, special teams. All three factor into your team's greatness. If overtime is going to determine who the better team is, we should be guaranteed a chance to see all thee components of the game.

The Falcons D is their team's weakness and they were playing with a lead the whole 2nd half, so they were on the field a lot and super tired. The coin flip determined too much.

Exactly.

The college rule is a lot more fair and more fun to watch.

I agree it's more fun to watch. Not sure it's any more fair. Some teams' entire philosophy is predicated on winning the field position battle. That "battle" is eliminated entirely by the CFB OT rules.

I still wholeheartedly believe that OT in any form should be an actual game-like simulation.

VN Store

Back