Eye Opening Stats on the Patriots Defense Historically

Persian Vol

I should be studying.
Here is a list of the ranking of Patriot defenses since 2003 (the database doesn't go farther back for some reason) based on points per game.

2003: 1
2004: 2
2005: 17
2006: 2
2007: 1
2008: 8
2009: 6
2010: 8
2011: 11
2012: 11
2013: 10
2014: 7
2015: 8
2016: 1

There was a period where the Patriots had one of the best defenses in the country, but instead of declining, they still maintained a top ten defense for most of the past decade. Could you imagine if Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Bree's had that kind of defensive consistency....

Let's look at Drew Bree's since joining the Saints

2006: 19
2007: 25
2008: 26
2009: 18
2010: 10
2011: 18
2012: 31
2013: 4
2014: 28
2015: 32
2016: 30

Since 2006, Bree's has had only two years in which he had a top ten defense. Brady has had only two years in which he didn't. And even then it was still has low as 11. Poor guy Drew Bree's never won an MVP despite multiple 5000 + yard seasons because his defense was too **** to get his team Ws. This is from a Falcons fan talking too.

Last edited:
I do think Brady is a little overrated and a product of the system. I mean every time a backup gets a chance to play in NE they earn a big contract and go somewhere else and arent nearly as good. Look what Garappolo did earlier in the year.

In Brady's defense, the offense has facilitated the defense (and vice versa). They don't make mistakes and they win the field position game together.

In Brady's defense, the offense has facilitated the defense (and vice versa). They don't make mistakes and they win the field position game together.

Yeah, I was going to say that Brees has thrown his fair share of interceptions that haven't exactly helped his defense. Throwing it a million times a game probably doesn't help the D rest either

I do think Brady is a little overrated and a product of the system. I mean every time a backup gets a chance to play in NE they earn a big contract and go somewhere else and arent nearly as good. Look what Garappolo did earlier in the year.

Lol, you mean all 1 times? And that one time they just happened to not make the playoffs.

And Garappolo played a game and a half, and Brissett was pretty terrible. So I think you're exaggerating a tad here.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol, you mean all 1 times? And that one time they just happened to not make the playoffs.

And Garappolo played a game and a half, and Brissett was pretty terrible. So I think you're exaggerating a tad here.

For what it's worth that team still went 11-5.

Yes, and still missed the playoffs.

I don't think it's a strech to say Brady may have been worth 2 more wins which would have given them the division.

Yes, but how many contenders lose their star QB and go 11-5? I mean the Colts lost Manning for one year and went 2-14 after winning 12+ for 7 or 8 years in a row.

I think that definitely speaks volumes to Belichick's system. And I mean nothing against Brady, he's easily one of the best ever if not the GOAT, but are we saying the same thing today if he's taken by Cleveland, or for a less extreme example, Cincinnati, in that draft? I strongly lean towards no.

But as with all hypotheticals, we'll never know. No telling where Montana would've ended up without Walsh. Brady has definitely been a beneficiary of circumstance.

Yes, but how many contenders lose their star QB and go 11-5? I mean the Colts lost Manning for one year and went 2-14 after winning 12+ for 7 or 8 years in a row.

I think that definitely speaks volumes to Belichick's system. And I mean nothing against Brady, he's easily one of the best ever if not the GOAT, but are we saying the same thing today if he's taken by Cleveland, or for a less extreme example, Cincinnati, in that draft? I strongly lean towards no.

But as with all hypotheticals, we'll never know. No telling where Montana would've ended up without Walsh. Brady has definitely been a beneficiary of circumstance.

Yeah but the QBs that replaced Manning sucked balls. Cassel at least started a while in KC and still is in the NFL. Acting like he completely sucked in KC is again exaggeratting. He lasted 4 years and was injured a lot too.

The Colts started a way past his prime Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter who was released after the season and only played one more season as a backup for the Giants in 2013, and Dan Orlovsky who has been a backup for other teams since 2011. None of those guys were good enough to start for another team, so if we're going to do hypotheticals, then perhaps the Colts do a lot better if they had a QB worth anything that year.

This is true, but applies to almost every great QB

Yeah but the QBs that replaced Manning sucked balls. Cassel at least started a while in KC and still is in the NFL. Acting like he completely sucked in KC is again exaggeratting. He lasted 4 years and was injured a lot too.

The Colts started a way past his prime Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter who was released after the season and only played one more season as a backup for the Giants in 2013, and Dan Orlovsky who has been a backup for other teams since 2011. None of those guys were good enough to start for another team, so if we're going to do hypotheticals, then perhaps the Colts do a lot better if they had a QB worth anything that year.

Ehh. It's an argument. But still not compelling enough for me to change my stance. Cassel was nothing special in KC and he's been a backup ever since.

Again, the fact that Belichick won 11 games with him is a testament to the man's coaching acumen.

Last edited:
This is true, but applies to almost every great QB

True, but Montana and Brady are pretty much synonymous with the coaches/systems in which they played. That's just not the case with guys like Manning ,Elway, and others who had success with multiple coaches with various philosophies.

Ehh. It's an argument. But still not compelling enough for me to change my stance. Cassel was nothing special in KC and he's been a backup ever since.

Again, the fact that Belichick won 11 games with him is a testament to the man's coaching acumen.

Never said the 11 wins wasn't; but I think the whole thing is highly exaggerated IMO and everyone is quick to be hypothetical in one way but not in others.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back