Where Does Steve Smith Rank All-Time among WRs?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
He is one of my top 5 all-time favorite NFL players and I was wondering how others perceive him.

Personality-wise and approach to the game, he's the Allen Iverson of the NFL.

He has pretty damn good stats and he accomplished them with a QB carousel of average Joes.

I'll rank him among players I actually watched:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Tim Brown
Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith
Terrell Owens
Calvin Johnson (ranked low because of short career)
Michael Irvin

He is one of my top 5 all-time favorite NFL players and I was wondering how others perceive him.

He has pretty damn good stats and he accomplished them with a QB carousel of average Joes.

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Tim Brown
Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith
Terrell Owens
Michael Irvin

Your list is pretty good, but in my opinion I would put Steve Smith 4th right below Larry Fitzgerald though.

Let's not forget Steve never played with another pro bowl WR or an elite NFL QB during his career

Let's not forget Steve never played with another pro bowl WR or an elite NFL QB during his career

Pretty sure Mushin Muhammad made a Pro Bowl. He was pretty good, but that shouldn't take away from Smith's achievements. Plus, Muhammad had a stint in Chicago in the midst of Steve's career.

He's definitely a great WR IMO.

He's somewhere in the Top 10 of those I've ever seen play.

Top 10 and could have been higher if he played with QBs like the guys higher on the list had. He had cats like Jake Delhomme, Jimmy Clausen, and Matt Moore throwing him the ball, for God's sake. One of the toughest guys to ever play receiver.

Last edited:
I have him at #7 on my all-time list in the same range as Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison. Smith's career was arguably even more impressive than either of them because of the QB's he played with.

Pretty sure Mushin Muhammad made a Pro Bowl. He was pretty good, but that shouldn't take away from Smith's achievements. Plus, Muhammad had a stint in Chicago in the midst of Steve's career.

Muhammad led the league in receiving yards one year

Smith is good, but pretty much everyone on that list is better than him. There's zero chance he's better than Calvin Johnson (though I understand the longevity thing) or TO.

The most overrated, to me, might be Marvin Harrison.

Smith is good, but pretty much everyone on that list is better than him. There's zero chance he's better than Calvin Johnson (though I understand the longevity thing) or TO.

The most overrated, to me, might be Marvin Harrison.

Well, RIP NashVol

Reactions: 1 person

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Tim Brown
Marvin Harrison
Steve Smith
Terrell Owens
Michael Irvin

No way he's better than TO, CJ or Irvin. Give me an elite CJ for 9 years any day of the week. Hate him or not TO was a beast.

I think approach to the game was similar to AI, personality-wise not so much.

While Steve Smith has been a very good WR his entire career I still wouldn't place him in my top 10 WR's of all-time. I would place him though in my top 20 of all-time.

I will also say for his size he is one of the better small WR's to play in the NFL. Definitely top 10 for WR's under 6'0" tall without a doubt.

I can't believe he's dong what he's doing at 40 years of age. He could still easily play another year in the NFL but I know he's done after this season.

VN Store

Back