NFL ratings down 11% first six weeks

Orange_Vol1321

Sagging NFL TV ratings leave owners scrambling for answers

The NFL can thank all the kneelers for this.

“I think it’s the wrong venue,” Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports. “It hasn’t been a positive thing. What we all have to be aware of as players, owners, PR people, equipment managers, is when the lights go on we are entertainment. We are being paid to put on a show. There are other places to express yourself.”

Reactions: 4 people
I highly doubt 11% is the result of the kneelers. I would bet a lot of money that streaming and cable-cutting has more to do with it, as well as Trump in the debates. Toothless football fans are choosing the debates over football for once.

Reactions: 1 person

Seriously doubt 11% is all for that.

I would bet it has much more to do with bad prime time matchups and over-exposure from Thursday night games. It was discussed a few years ago that the league was getting over-exposure from stuff like moving the draft and making a weekly Thursday night game, and it's probably coming true.

Also, they're going to have to do something about how the games work on TV. Score, commercial, kickoff, commercial, punt commercial. It's getting beyond ridiculous.

Like what everyone else said. I doubt it's from the protestors. I think the election has hurt it. Also the football hasn't been very good. There are a lot of bad teams playing bad football.

I highly doubt 11% is the result of the kneelers. I would bet a lot of money that streaming and cable-cutting has more to do with it, as well as Trump in the debates. Toothless football fans are choosing the debates over football for once.

I don't see any debate between the two candidates we have taking away from people watching football.

My experience, I sit down to turn on a game and they put the camera all over someone kneeling I turn the game off.

Like the owner of the colts says, "a NFL game isn't the time or place to push your political views."

Reactions: 2 people

Quoting that sociopathic pill head isn't gonna legitimize that as the sole reason for the decline.

The leauge is sufering from the same problem all the networks are facing, people don't watch tv like they used to.

Between the election madness, streaming, social media and cord cutters. There was bound to be an effect.

They would be better served by curbing commercials and finding referees that aren't legally blind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't see any debate between the two candidates we have taking away from people watching football.

My experience, I sit down to turn on a game and they put the camera all over someone kneeling I turn the game off.

Like the owner of the colts says, "a NFL game isn't the time or place to push your political views."

I watch at least 5 NFL games per week and I probably don't watch a single national anthem. The commentators don't really talk about the kneelers anymore. That went on for like 2 weeks. Fox News and Sportscenter put way more focus on it than the NFL does.

I used to watch the NFL all Sunday because it was football, and I needed to get my fix. Now college games are being played almost every day, so I watch the Steelers on Sunday and go do something else. I don't feel compelled to watch the NFL's brand of football when I can get as much college football as I want during the week.

For me:
Kneelers
My team is bad
Too many penalties/games take too long
Game is boring compared to college

I bet if your team was undefeated right now, a few kids kneeling during the Anthem would not sway you at all from watching.

It's not the kneeling....outside of a few "True Patriots" who don't watch because someone knelt before the game lol.

I bet those same people have never done a damn thing when they were at a game and 30% of the people are on their phones or playing grabass with this MRS while the Anthem was being played.

Reactions: 2 people
I used to watch the NFL all Sunday because it was football, and I needed to get my fix. Now college games are being played almost every day, so I watch the Steelers on Sunday and go do something else. I don't feel compelled to watch the NFL's brand of football when I can get as much college football as I want during the week.

This....I only really watch the Eagles and don't really pay attention to any other games other than maybe the RZ channel. Which, not sure how they determine ratings, is the RZ channel figured into that?

Kneeling is some of it. People are tired of that guy, or any like him. You took a stand on a legitimate issue in a most retarded way.

Kneeling is some of it. People are tired of that guy, or any like him. You took a stand on a legitimate issue in a most retarded way.

I am tired of CKs act but the 49ers are 1-5 and there seems to be no heat or attention on Chip Kelly like when he was at Philadelphia and losing, as a HC hes gotta like the spotlight on the mediocre QBs instead of himself

I think Wednesday is now the only night without football. Quarterback play is the worst of my 35 years on this earth. It's an election year. Cord cutters. Social media options. I think there's a lot of reasons why football is down and I'd put the over/under at 1.4% being because of protesters. And I'll take the under.

I think Wednesday is now the only night without football. Quarterback play is the worst of my 35 years on this earth. It's an election year. Cord cutters. Social media options. I think there's a lot of reasons why football is down and I'd put the over/under at 1.4% being because of protesters. And I'll take the under.

What makes you say that? These rookies are balling out and there are plenty of good vets.

FWIW, average passer rating is 89.3. I think that would be a record.

It is not just the kneeling. Kneeling is just another example of athletes being idiots. After a while, people just get tired of it. I have been losing interest in the NFL for years. This year I stopped watching it altogether. They'll fine players for wearing their jersey the wrong way or some other such thing, but the league just flat out punted on this issue. Eff em.

It is not just the kneeling. Kneeling is just another example of athletes being idiots. After a while, people just get tired of it. I have been losing interest in the NFL for years. This year I stopped watching it altogether. They'll fine players for wearing their jersey the wrong way or some other such thing, but the league just flat out punted on this issue. Eff em.
I agree. Also, there has been 4 debates. Only 2 of them has coincided on the same day as a NFL ballgame. The debates don't start till 9pm on their desiganted nights.
There is no way 2 debates during these 2 games takes away 11% of ratings for an entire 6 week season average.

Last edited:
The NFL has made a circus out of rules violations. What you think should be fined is not and vice verse. I had rather not watch then try to decide what's allowed from week to week.

The amount of penalties has become ghastly. There were right at 30 earlier this year in the Titans-Lions game, and I'm sure a lot of other games as well. I'd also like to see the amount of commercials go down, though I'm not an expert on all of the ins and outs on all of that. Plus, like others have said, people have started to drop cable and DirecTV and everything, and highlights are readily available on every social media platform.

I think the kneeling is stupid and I never liked Kaepernick to begin with, but it's not going to stop me from watching the Titans every Sunday after I get home from Church. I honestly don't think you could consider yourself much of a fan if you stopped watching just because a few players want to grab the spotlight 5 minutes before the game even starts.

All of the fines and whatnot have become annoying as well. None of the players can so much as take a step in the wrong direction after scoring without getting slapped with a $10,000 fine.

I watch at least 5 NFL games per week and I probably don't watch a single national anthem. The commentators don't really talk about the kneelers anymore. That went on for like 2 weeks. Fox News and Sportscenter put way more focus on it than the NFL does.

I haven't watched one NFL game this year. Not missing much.

VN Store

Back