Week Two Review

VOLINHTOWN

Two weeks in the books in the NFL. You've got 8 unbeaten, 8 winless, and the rest in the middle. What does the 2-0 versus the 0-2 start really mean? Since 2007 the 0-2 start is really much more damning than the 2-0 start is promising. In that time 75 teams have started 0-2 and only 7 (9.3%) have turned it around to make the playoffs. Conversely the old adage used to be that starting 2-0 meant you could pretty much pencil yourself in the playoffs. That trend has been cooling off in recent seasons. Of 75 teams who have started 2-0 since 2007, 44 (58.6%) have made the playoffs which of course means 31 did not despite starting 2-0. So in that vain, which 0-2's have the best chance of turning it around and which 2-0's are you not buying into?

Best Chances of the Winless...

#1. Jacksonville - I have a very strict rule which tells me to never, ever bet on the Jags BUT this team can't possibly be that bad. Is it a matter of just putting it all together or is it really just being the Jags. You still have 4 games against the Colts and Titans and the rest of the schedule isn't that daunting relative to other teams. 9-7 is still a possibility.
#2. New Orleans - the Saints are honestly just a couple of plays from being undefeated. On the flip side it's not like these two losses were against a couple of NFL elite teams. Not at this point anyway. With that offense it's way too early to dig a grave.
#3. Washington - I'm not overly impressed with any part of the Redskins team but at the same time I don't see anyone else in this division capable of running away and hiding. Two home losses hurt but not time to cue the fat lady just yet.

You're 2-0 but I'm not buying!

#1. Baltimore - You've beaten two bad teams and have hardly impressed in either game. Kudos for digging out of a 20 point hole in Cleveland... but it was CLEVELAND! You're still clearly 3rd best in your division in my book!
#2. NY Giants - The major upgrades/investments made on the defensive side of the ball certainly seem to be paying off thus far, but you're still no where in the same breath with the truly elite defenses in the league. And watching the Giants offense is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
#3. Minnesota - The Vikes have pieces but really backed into a win in Week 1. And give them credit for rising to the challenge of winning the first game played in their new home. But with zero run game I'm not buying on Sam Bradford leading this team to any kind of meaningful season.

TOP SEVEN

#1. New England - Again until someone knocks them off. No Brady, multiple injuries, no problem. Sigh
#2. Pittsburgh - No surprise that the Steelers are 6th in rushing with 135.5 ypg. But to do it without arguably the league's best RB? Impressive.
#3. Denver - We know the defense is great. Let's see what Siemian is made of away from the cozy confines of home and now that there is some film of him.
#4. Carolina - Love him or hate him, Cam is a real and rare difference maker. NFC South is already looking less daunting than originally thought.
#5. Houston - With the Chiefs monkey off their back, a real chance to make a statement in New England looms Thursday night. The defense is already in mid-season form.
#6. Arizona - Disappointed about an opening loss at home, the Cardinals did what all great teams do when pissed. Walloped the next opponent!
#7. Philadelphia - Not sure I'm ready to jump on for a long ride on the hype train but despite the competition back to back wins by an average of 17 points aren't easy to come by in the NFL.

THE BOTTOM THREE

#30. Buffalo - Is there a more over-hyped coach in the NFL than Rex Ryan? I can't think of one. Firing the OC after week one while hanging on to your garbage DC of a brother was pretty unsavory as well. Let the Bills HC search begin!
#31. LA Rams - Yes you won on Sunday but when you're still looking for your team's 1st TD going into week #3, you're doing some rare and historical things.
#32. Cleveland - There's no other franchise in modern day professional sports that does misery quite as well as the Browns. Blowing a 20 point lead to the hated Ravens?? DAYUMN!! Good news is the NBA season is less than 6 weeks away for Cleveland fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back