Goodell and kick offs

I don't think that will ever fly, because you can't take away the ability to onsides kick. They might work out something where the receiving team can choose to take an automatic touchback but not in the second half or something like that, but no way they'll go away 100%.

Where is the data? Are guys actually getting hurt more on KOs? Seems like the worst hits are on punts and knee injuries happen from schrimmage

Where is the data? Are guys actually getting hurt more on KOs? Seems like the worst hits are on punts and knee injuries happen from schrimmage

And practice -- where is the data for that (Teddy Bridgewater is a prime example) plus go from 16 games back to 14 -- ever think Goodell considered that one ?

Goodell is trying his damnest to put his fingerprint on anything to make a name for himself. He needs to keep trying because it hasn't happened yet.

I wouldn't mind dumping it, but they would need to figure out some way to keep the ability for a kicking team to retain possession.

I hate it.

To me kick returns and punt returns are a part of the excitement. Just look at what it does in the college game. I understand trying to make the game safer but you know in peewee that your going to get hurt playing this game. You either deal with it when it happens or go play chess.

Ask yourself this question: Why is the NFL becoming "softer" (using the term of other people)? What has caused this?

Yes and no.

I agree partly but you can't simplify it that much, because the truth it they are learning how much the game affects the human body, more than they ever knew before.

People can scoff and say "You know what you were getting into" but that's actually not true. People knew it was a rough game, but they didn't know the long term effects.

Sorry, but I kind of laugh at the couch potatoes who scoff that the game is getting "soft" (not you directly, in general). Get out there for about 5 minutes and then come tell us how soft it really is.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes and no.

I agree partly but you can't simplify it that much, because the truth it they are learning how much the game affects the human body, more than they ever knew before.

People can scoff and say "You know what you were getting into" but that's actually not true. People knew it was a rough game, but they didn't know the long term effects.

Sorry, but I kind of laugh at the couch potatoes who scoff that the game is getting "soft" (not you directly, in general). Get out there for about 5 minutes and then come tell us how soft it really is.

Just to be clear, I certainly don't think the game is getting softer. Guys today are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever. I was using the term "soft" because that's what all the guys who scored 4 td's in a game at Polk High back in '84 say.

But I do believe the chief reason for the extra careful medical treatment is a result of lawsuits. I don't believe the executives in the NFL or the NCAA give a s*** about the players health. They are in it for the money and this helps them save on lawsuit payouts.

Reactions: 1 person
Just to be clear, I certainly don't think the game is getting softer. Guys today are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever. I was using the term "soft" because that's what all the guys who scored 4 td's in a game at Polk High back in '84 say.

But I do believe the chief reason for the extra careful medical treatment is a result of lawsuits. I don't believe the executives in the NFL or the NCAA give a s*** about the players health. They are in it for the money and this helps them save on lawsuit payouts.

Oh I agree, they don't give a crap about the players.

VN Store

Back